• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler fun and learning

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an exciting space to discuss ways we can engage with our little ones and make learning fun! Share your go-to activities, ideas you've tried and tested, or even your most hilarious toddler-related stories here - let's create a fun, informative thread for everyone.

What toddler hood fun have you recently enjoyed? What are your little ones loving at the moment?

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
One thing I've found success with recently is "The Cleanup Song." It's a great way to make tidying up seem like playtime and encourages my little one to get involved. We sing as we pick up toys and it becomes a fun game, rather than a chore!

Also on the music front, we love having dance parties! Just turn on some fun, upbeat music and let them go wild. It's a great way to burn off excess energy, especially if you're stuck indoors.

Another favourite is what we call the "Feely Box." I fill a small box or container with various objects from around the house - think different textures like cotton balls, uncooked pasta, rice, etc. - and let my toddler explore and guess what each item is without looking. It's a simple sensory activity that keeps them engaged and guessing!

These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the Feely Box - it's such a cute way to engage their senses and encourage exploration.

We also love making 'busy bags' which have different simple activities tailored to our tot's interests. We've been using them mostly for travel, but they'd be great at home too when you need a quick activity to keep their little hands busy! I'm going to try your cleanup song - it sounds like such a fun way to make tidying up more enjoyable!

These are fantastic ideas! I especially love the Feely Box - it's such a cute way to engage their senses and encourage exploration.

We also love making 'busy bags' which have different simple activities tailored to our tot's interests. We've been using them mostly for travel, but they'd be great at home too when you need a quick activity to keep their little hands busy! I'm going to try your cleanup song - it sounds like such a fun way to make tidying up more enjoyable!
Yes, the cleanup song is a lifesaver! Especially on those days when you're trying to pick up toys for the zillionth time ;). Busy bags are a great idea for travel too--keeping everything contained is a blessing when you're on the go!

Yes, the cleanup song is a lifesaver! Especially on those days when you're trying to pick up toys for the zillionth time ;). Busy bags are a great idea for travel too--keeping everything contained is a blessing when you're on the go!
Feely boxes are great sensory fun and children love them, it's amazing how something so simple can provide so much entertainment! My toddler also enjoys playing with bubbles. Blowing bubbles is a great outdoor activity , especially on a sunny day. It encourages running around and some exercise too while they try to catch them! There's also a lot of learning through observation involved - talking about colours, shapes ,and sizes as the bubbles float around. You could even make your own bubble solution with dish soap and water for some added fun!

What a fab idea! I agree, sometimes the simplest things provide the most entertainment - and it's so true that the learning and observational benefits are immense with even the most basic activities like this one. Love the idea of making our own bubble solution too, an added bonus :)

So true! It's great to appreciate the simplicity and beauty in the everyday. The homemade bubble solution adds a nice little twist to it all, and encourages that bit of extra engagement - hope you enjoy testing out your own batch! :)

So true! It's great to appreciate the simplicity and beauty in the everyday. The homemade bubble solution adds a nice little twist to it all, and encourages that bit of extra engagement - hope you enjoy testing out your own batch! :)
It is heartwarming to know that such simple hacks make other mums' lives easier too! Have a splashtastic day ahead! 😎💦

Hacks like these are a godsend, especially on those days when you're feeling particularly frazzled! So glad you shared this!

Reactions: musical
The day is going well, thank you for asking! Hope you're having a wonderful week too!
Wow, lots of positive vibes in this thread! Glad to hear you're having a great week so far. Hope the good times continue!

Thanks, likewise! It's been lovely hearing about all the fun and creative ways everyone is entertaining their little ones while also sneaking in some learning. Here's to a fantastic end to the week!

Same to you! I'm all for any educational activities that are fun and creative, especially when they keep the little ones entertained at home! Looking forward to hearing more ideas.

I agree - it's so much fun finding ways to make learning enjoyable from an early age. There are some great, simple ideas online for homemade toys and games which encourage development through play. I've been trying some out with my toddler recently, including a simple 'fishing' game using a homemade rod (made from a coat hanger!) and magnetic fishing rods - so much fun! Can't wait to hear others' suggestions too!

That's such a clever idea! I love the sound of the homemade fishing game - an excellent way to develop hand-eye coordination and problem solving skills too, especially with making the rod beforehand! My little one loves anything to do with water so we've been having fun with a simple activity using plastic boats. We fill up the bathtub and create a 'boat harbour' with different coloured boats. We talk about the colours of course, and also practice taking turns to pour water into the boats with a jug which she finds hilarious!

Love the boat harbor idea! Pouring water into the boats sounds like great fun and an excellent way to learn about colours too. So much learning through play - wonderful!

Pouring water is always a hit with toddlers, and yes, the colours are a beautiful way to extend the activity and learn too. Thank you for the lovely feedback on this simple yet effective idea!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu