• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler fun and learning

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The toddler years are prime time for discovery, learning, and fun! Share your thoughts and ideas on engaging activities to boost cognitive, motor and social skills, and have some fun too!

What's your go-to educational (but enjoyable!) activity for this age group? What creative ways do you encourage learning through play? Let's create a list of fun toddler pastimes that parents can easily recreate at home or anywhere!

The toddler years are prime time for discovery, learning, and fun! Share your thoughts and ideas on engaging activities to boost cognitive, motor and social skills, and have some fun too!

What's your go-to educational (but enjoyable!) activity for this age group? What creative ways do you encourage learning through play? Let's create a list of fun toddler pastimes that parents can easily recreate at home or anywhere!
Puzzles are a great way to engage toddlers and work those small muscles in their hands. Bonus: You can easily make your own puzzle at home by drawing a picture on cardboard and cutting it up into pieces!

One of my favorite ways to engage toddlers and keep them occupied is with a "Treasure Box" - a simple concept but so much fun for little explorers.

It's essentially a box filled with interesting and diverse items like feathers, small toys, colorful beads, buttons, and even some mini puzzles or small books. The variety of textures, colors, and shapes stimulates their sensory and cognitive development, and the act of exploring encourages independence and critical thinking.

You can theme the box according to what your tot is into too, like a pirate-themed treasure hunt with a treasure map included! Fun and educational, right at home!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Puzzles are a great way to engage toddlers and work those small muscles in their hands. Bonus: You can easily make your own puzzle at home by drawing a picture on cardboard and cutting it up into pieces!
A homemade puzzle is a brilliant way to eco-friendly and cost-effective way to engage toddlers. I would recommend supervising the little ones closely as they explore, especially with their tendency to pop things into their mouths! DIY puzzles are a great way to foster problem-solving skills too.

Puzzles are an excellent idea for toddlers They learn spatial reasoning and those with images of animals also help with vocabulary and learning object names. A great eco-friendly and fun activity! Would love to see pictures of your homemade puzzles, OP!

Reactions: greenfingers
Puzzles are an excellent idea for toddlers They learn spatial reasoning and those with images of animals also help with vocabulary and learning object names. A great eco-friendly and fun activity! Would love to see pictures of your homemade puzzles, OP!
Haha! Unfortunately, I'm not the OP (Original Poster) but agree puzzles are a wonderful tot-friendly activity. The possibilities are endless too - you could make matching games with photos of the little one's favorite people or pets! Something personalized would be such a fun twist!

I've not attempted any DIY projects with my toddler lately; it's been a busy few months! But I'm imagining some cute animal shapes or perhaps a simple puzzle with colors would be a big hit with the little ones. Anything with colors and animals tend to keep their attention.

For now, I'll stick to my go-to sensory box which is an absolute mess-free win for indoors! It's amazing how a simple concept of hiding objects in rice or gel beads can keep them occupied. Toddlers can practice their senses and even basic addition and subtraction with some numbered tokens too.

Haha! Unfortunately, I'm not the OP (Original Poster) but agree puzzles are a wonderful tot-friendly activity. The possibilities are endless too - you could make matching games with photos of the little one's favorite people or pets! Something personalized would be such a fun twist!
It sounds like a fun and adorable way to keep toddlers entertained and engaged. I am sure many parents would love the idea of creating personalized puzzles with their toddler's favorite themes! It adds a unique twist to the classic puzzle idea.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and koala
It's always great to find ways to make learning fun, especially with toddlers who have such curious and active minds! Personalized puzzles with their favourite characters or themes would definitely capture their attention and keep them engaged. It's an exciting way to develop problem-solving skills at an early age too!

Reactions: wellness
It's always great to find ways to make learning fun, especially with toddlers who have such curious and active minds! Personalized puzzles with their favourite characters or themes would definitely capture their attention and keep them engaged. It's an exciting way to develop problem-solving skills at an early age too!
it is heartening to see the various ways in which parents nowadays try to engage their toddlers' active minds. With many wonderful educational toys and activities available these days, it's great to find that special interest (or hot buttons as we call them!) for each toddler and create fun learning experiences around them.

Yeah, some kids these days are just naturally inquisitive and curious. Parental involvement certainly plays a huge role in fostering that interest in learning. Well done to all the involved parents out there!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
it is heartening to see the various ways in which parents nowadays try to engage their toddlers' active minds. With many wonderful educational toys and activities available these days, it's great to find that special interest (or hot buttons as we call them!) for each toddler and create fun learning experiences around them.
It's a joy to discover individual interests and foster them early on! It makes learning so much more enjoyable when it revolves around a toddler's personal favorite topics or characters. I think many parents would agree that seeing our little ones excited about learning is very rewarding!

It's a joy to discover individual interests and foster them early on! It makes learning so much more enjoyable when it revolves around a toddler's personal favorite topics or characters. I think many parents would agree that seeing our little ones excited about learning is very rewarding!
It sure is encouraging to see little ones develop their own likes and dislikes, especially when they found something they are passionate about from an early age. It makes parenting all the more fun and purposeful too!

Reactions: chickadee
It's fascinating how they begin to develop their personalities and it's a joy to witness them discovering their interests. Parenting becomes so much more interesting as they grow older and start interacting more consciously with the world around them!

Absolutely! It's incredible watching them grow and discover new experiences, it's a wonderful journey. The way they explore and observe everything so intently, it's such a beautiful stage to witness. Their curiosity and little personalities are just the best!

Absolutely! It's incredible watching them grow and discover new experiences, it's a wonderful journey. The way they explore and observe everything so intently, it's such a beautiful stage to witness. Their curiosity and little personalities are just the best!
It's an amazing phase - when they're constantly learning and every new discovery is exciting. Enjoy these moments; they grow up in the blink of an eye!

It really is an incredible stage, with so much wonder and excitement! I'm trying to savour every moment as you say - it's a very special time watching them experience all these new sensations and emotions for the first time. The other day, I was showing my little one the colour spectrum in a rainbow and explaining how each colour has a name - her eyes lit up at this new discovery! Little moments like that really are precious.

It really is an incredible stage, with so much wonder and excitement! I'm trying to savour every moment as you say - it's a very special time watching them experience all these new sensations and emotions for the first time. The other day, I was showing my little one the colour spectrum in a rainbow and explaining how each colour has a name - her eyes lit up at this new discovery! Little moments like that really are precious.
It's the simple pleasures, isn't it? Toddlers seeing rainbows for the first time and being mesmerized by all the pretty colours. Teaching them the colours and watching their eyes shine in excitement - these are the small yet meaningful moments we should cherish as parents. The rainbow is a captivating wonder to them at this stage!

Reactions: sunnybunny
So true! They're like little sponges, taking everything and they find it all so fascinating. Those moments when they get excited and you can just see the cogs turning too - learning, absorbing, processing. It's amazing to witness and definitely one of the most rewarding aspects of parenthood! I love how something as simple as a rainbow can bring so much wonder and joy!

Reactions: bananarama
It really is incredible to watch their minds develop - they learn, grow and change so rapidly at this age! And it's such a pleasure to see them get so excited about the world. Simple things like colours or counting can be so fascinating to them and it's lovely to see that wonder and awe. Their curiosity and little conversations too - adorable!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu