• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning Activities

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm excited to explore some fun toddler activities that are both engaging and educational. My little one is at that curious age where every experience is a learning opportunity, and I want to make sure I'm providing lots of fun and stimulating options for her. Share your go-to activities and ideas for keeping toddlers entertained and their minds active! Let's create a wonderful resource for parents and caregivers!

One of our favourite sensory play activities is a simple bean box! Fill a plastic container with dried beans, lentils or rice, and provide some cups, spoons and small toys for your toddler to explore and scoop. The sensory experience is great for their sense of touch and it encourages fine motor skills too. You can even hide little toys for them to find, which adds an element of surprise and encourages them to keep exploring.

• Love
Reactions: koala
That's a fabulous idea! We love sensory play and often forget how versatile and simple it can be. We've mostly used rice, but lentils and beans are great too - especially for the different textures they offer. The addition of little toys to find is a fun twist that our tot would love!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I'm glad you like it! We try to keep things simple and low cost, whilst providing lots of variety - which can sometimes be a challenge. I find adding little toys sparks a lot more interest and makes it feel more fun too - almost like a sensory scavenger hunt! The different textures are such an easy way to introduce the concept of touch too - especially with foods they're familiar with! Do you have any other simple activities that you've found work well?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Keeping things simple and low-cost is a great approach, and I totally agree about adding little toys to spark interest! It's like a fun surprise for them to discover.

For simple activities, I've had success with drawing attention to everyday items they're familiar with but might not notice as much. For example, asking them to find and point out all the different shoes in the house and identifying them - sneakers, sandals, etc. It's like a little scavenger hunt and helps develop those observational skills.

Another one is a 'what's missing' game. Set up three objects in front of your toddler and then remove one. Encourage them to figure out which one has gone missing and replace it if they can. It's fun watching them try to remember the sequence and keep things in place!

These games are also great because they don't require any additional purchases - just making use of what we already have around the house!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Love these ideas! I find that toddler attention spans can vary so much, but simple activities like these that are quick and don't require a lot of setup are perfect for keeping their interest. I'll definitely be trying the shoe scavenger hunt - my little one loves running around collecting things, and it's a great way to keep her busy while also learning!

The 'what's missing' game is a great one for developing those problem-solving skills too, especially when they realise they can solve the puzzle. I like that these activities are so adaptable and make use of everyday household items - definitely will help keep costs down as well!

So true - the scavenger hunt and 'what's missing' game are excellent for their problem-solving skills and keeping them engaged and entertained. It's remarkable how creative we can get with household items! Toddler activities can be so adaptable and fun - hope you have loads of fun doing these!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Adaptability is absolutely key when it comes to toddler activities - their attention spans are so fleeting! Scavenger hunts are a great idea as they can be tailored to indoor or outside and different items can be sought each time - a great way to keep them engaged and thinking. Household items can certainly keep things interesting and creative, especially when toddlers' imaginations run wild. I'll certainly be keeping the activities going strong and making use of everyday objects!

Adaptability is the name of the game with toddlers - their interests and focus can change so quickly! Scavenger hunts are a fantastic adaptable activity and a great way to keep their little minds active too. The creativity that comes from household object play is endless, especially when you add in some dress-up and role-play elements!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Scavenger hunts are a brilliant idea! And you're so right about their interests changing quickly - keeping up with their ever-changing focus is a challenge!

The scavenger hunt concept can be tailored to different themes too, which might help keep the interest of little ones with a longer attention span. Like a colour-themed hunt around the park, or a shape-based one around the house. Could also involve some fun sensory play and keep them moving and engaged physically - win-win!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's true—themed hunts can make it more interesting, especially for kids who enjoy a bit of a challenge. And yes, the possibilities are endless when you think of different themes! Sensory play is also a great idea and a fun way to learn.

Themed hunts and sensory play make learning exciting for toddlers! There's so much one can do with themes, and it's amazing how toddlers explore and learn through their senses. These activities keep them engaged while they have fun. What creative ideas do you guys have for themed hunts or sensory play?

Some that come to mind are:

- A colour hunt where kids look for objects of a specific colour.

- Using different textures like foam, shaving cream or gelatin for sensory play can help explore touch and sensation. Making it even more interactive with some hidden objects would be fun!

So many options indeed!

Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu