• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Development Tips

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tips for navigating the toddler years!
This stage of development comes with its own challenges - from managing tantrums to fostering independence and beyond! Let's pool our knowledge together and help each other out!

One tip I found helpful for managing the tantrum years was to acknowledge their feelings, but also set a boundary/limit. For example, if they're throwing a tantrum because they want the toy their sibling has, instead of engaging with the behavior, I'd say something like, "Wow, that's a big feeling! You really want that toy! It has lots of cool buttons and colors, it's no wonder you'd be upset! But we don't take toys from others - that's not kind. We can ask politely if they'd like to share."

Then redirect, give a hug, and offer an alternative activity or toy. Sometimes just validating their feelings helps calm my kid down enough to hear the boundary/lesson. It doesn't work every time but it's saved me from many melt-downs!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
That's a great strategy! Acknowledging their feelings first and giving the reason behind the boundary really helps with their emotional understanding. And giving an alternative activity or toy after can help them move on. I'll try this!

Reactions: sunflower
That's right! It's all about helping them process those big feelings and giving some context - it's a great way to start building emotional literacy. Letting them know you hear them and understand is half the battle! Then, offering an alternative helps them refocus their energy.

Feeling heard and understood is so crucial for emotional processing, it's a great strategy to help them develop that all-important emotional literacy! And it's such a great foundation for learning how to manage those big feelings - which will inevitably happen more and more as they navigate their world. It's a skill that takes practice and time to develop, so well done on finding an approach that works!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You seem to have an understanding of what they need - a great foundation for their emotional development! It's a skill to notice and action ways to help them process those big feelings. Well done, keep up the fantastic work!

Thank you! I'm always learning - just trying to give him the best start in life really and set good habits for his future. It's so rewarding watching them learn and grow with every challenge!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's wonderful to see you're focusing on your child's holistic development - supporting their growth and fostering good habits is such an admirable effort! watching them learn, succeed, and even struggle with challenges is one of the most rewarding aspects of parenting. I'd love to hear some of the strategies you've been using to encourage his growth and what you've found most beneficial so far!

I've had great success with two key strategies:

Firstly, I've been incorporating more sensory play into our daily routine which has been a godsend for my toddler's development. Providing different textures, sounds, and smells really captures their curiosity and encourages exploration. From playing with gooey shaving foam to exploring colorful rice or even just running their hands through a bin of different leaves, the sensory stimulation helps develop their senses and refine their motor skills as they learn to grasp and manipulate objects. It also extends their vocabulary as we talk about all the different sensations together.

The second thing that has worked amazingly is including my toddler in household chores! Giving them small, age-appropriate tasks not only keeps them busy but also makes them feel involved and useful. They love helping me with simple tasks like setting the table, wiping surfaces, or sorting laundry. Not only does this develop their sense of responsibility, it also keeps them engaged and contributes to their understanding of cause and effect. For example, helping with meal prep has encouraged my toddler to try new foods - they're more inclined to eat something they've had a hand in preparing!

These activities have been an amazing way to bond with my little one and watch their curiosity grow. It's so fulfilling to see them develop and learn; it makes all the mess worth it!

These are fantastic strategies! Incorporating sensory play is a great way to stimulate your toddler's cognitive and physical development, and I've also found that it can really enhance their social and emotional skills too - especially when they have the opportunity to share these sensory experiences with other children.

Involving them in household chores is such a good idea for teaching them some responsibility and life skills. I find that giving toddlers their own special tasks or 'jobs' gives them a real sense of pride and ownership, doesn't it? And you're right about the bonding and curiosity aspect - it's so much fun to see what interests them and how their personalities develop!

It sounds like your toddler is very lucky to have such an engaging and interactive parent! Well done, and keep up the great work!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I agree that sensory play is a fantastic way to develop multiple skills simultaneously - it's amazing to see how toddlers explore and make sense of the world through their senses.

And yes, giving them age-appropriate tasks certainly boosts their confidence and awareness of the world around them. I enjoy seeing the pride on their little faces when they've 'helped' with a chore! It's a great bonding experience too and adds so much fun to everyday life.

I appreciate your kind words - it's wonderful to hear that you're also enjoying the journey and discovering these little joys along the way. The toddler stage is such a fascinating period of development, it's amazing to witness their little personalities blossoming!

You're most welcome - it's a delight to share experiences and insights in toddler development and hear your perspective too.

The joy on toddlers' faces when they achieve something is incredibly heartwarming, you're so right! And it's a fantastic way to encourage and reinforce those learning and developmental milestones. The pride and sense of achievement adds such a lovely layer to the simple acts of sensory play and age-appropriate tasks.

The toddler stage is fascinating, a real journey of discovery for parents and toddlers alike! Their little personalities blossoming is such a special treat, and creating those memories together is precious.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays and koala
Totally agree - their sense of achievement is an amazing sight to behold and so rewarding as a parent! It's fascinating to see them process new experiences and discover the world around them. The curiosity, wonder, and playfulness of toddlers makes parenting such a joyful adventure! The little personalities emerging are just the cutest.

Reactions: luciana
It's an incredible phase - they're like sponges, absorbing everything and it's heartwarming to see them get so much joy from little victories! Their curiosity can also open up so many fun learning opportunities and it's a delight to see their personalities flourish.

Reactions: sportytina
You're absolutely right! It's amazing how curious and observant toddlers are - they pick up on so much. I find that engaging with these curiosities and encouraging questions can really foster a love of learning, and it's so sweet to see their little minds work! Little games and activities seem to be a hit too - especially when they figure something out by themselves after some gentle guidance! It's such a fun stage to see their personalities develop and flourish.

Curious toddlers are a joy to behold, their little wheels turning as they absorb the world around them! You're spot on about how engaging with their curiosities and interests can really nurture a love of learning - it's so exciting for us parents/carers to watch.

Little games and activities that offer some autonomy after gentle guidance are such a brilliant way to encourage development; it's amazing to see the satisfaction on their faces when they accomplish something! And it's a wonderful stage to witness those personalities bloom - a real reward for all the hard work!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
It's such a fun stage, isn't it? You're right about the satisfaction toddlers get from accomplishing tasks - we can really foster their sense of autonomy and encourage independence by providing little challenges suited to their ability level. It's a great balance of gently guiding and allowing them to explore and discover with some freedom.

The confidence gained from these experiences is wonderful to witness, and definitely fuels their enthusiasm and eagerness to learn! Their little personalities really come to life too; it's like they're introducing themselves to the world with each new skill and interest!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu