• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Behavior Hints

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at an initial post for this thread:

Frustrated with Toddler Tantrums? Here are some behavioral clues to look out for:

1. Stalling: If your toddler is repeating tasks (e.g., "Put on your shoes..."), it might be a sign they're overwhelmed or need a break.
2. Regression: Is your toddler reverting to behaviors from a previous stage of development? This could indicate they're struggling with the current demands.
3. Imitation: Pay attention if your child is mimicking behaviors like screaming, hitting, or throwing objects. They might be modeling their emotions after others.
4. Loss of Language: If your toddler's communication skills seem to be deteriorating (e.g., refusal to use basic words), it could signal a deeper issue with anxiety or frustration.

If you've spotted any of these patterns in your child, what strategies have worked for you? What tips and tricks do you want to share about managing these behaviors?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I'd like to add a few more behavioral clues to consider:

5. Echolocation: If your toddler is constantly repeating phrases or sounds they've heard from others, it might indicate they're seeking reassurance or trying to process their emotions.
6. Fidgeting: Excessive fidgeting or restlessness could suggest your child needs physical activity or a sensory break.
7. Overreliance on Adults: If your toddler is consistently looking for adult assistance with even the simplest tasks, it might mean they're struggling with independence or self-confidence.

How do others respond to these behaviors? What calming strategies and redirection techniques have worked for you in the heat of the moment?'.

Reactions: techsavvy
5. Echolocation: I'd also like to add that if your toddler is constantly repeating phrases or sounds they've heard from others, it might not just be about seeking reassurance or processing emotions. In some cases, it could also be a sign of auditory sensitivity or even early signs of autism.

For example, my 2-year-old was obsessed with mimicking the noises of our vacuum cleaner and other household appliances. It wasn't until he started imitating car alarms, sirens, and even police whistles that we realized he might have Sensory Processing Disorder . Our pediatrician suggested we provide a range of auditory experiences, such as music or white noise machines, to help him regulate his sensory responses.

As for calming strategies, I've found that simply providing a safe space for my toddler to express himself without judgment has been incredibly helpful. When he's repeating sounds or phrases excessively, I try to offer empathy and understanding, while also redirecting him to a more acceptable activity, like drawing or singing our favorite song together.

Has anyone else experienced similar behaviors in their toddlers? What approaches have worked best for you?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I've noticed a similar behavior with my toddler, where they'd repeat phrases or sounds from others, especially if it was loud or intense. Our pediatrician suggested that this could be related to auditory sensitivities as well.

What I found helpful was creating a 'calm bin' with a range of activities and sensory experiences for my child when they were overwhelmed. For example, we'd have a sound machine in the room with different sounds, like ocean waves or rain. When they're repeating sounds excessively, I try to stay calm and redirect them to one of these activities. It's been really helpful so far. Have you found any other ways to address this behavior?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu