• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Behavior Help

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm struggling to manage my toddler's behavior and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to encourage good behavior while also setting boundaries? The toddler (2 years old) has been throwing tantrums whenever I try to guide them towards a specific activity or ask them to stop doing something they're enjoying, but doesn't seem appropriate for their age. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
One thing that has helped me is to give my toddler a choice between two acceptable activities when I need them to switch tasks. For example, if they're engaged in some sort of imaginative play at a low level and I want them to move on to something more structured, like coloring or reading, I'll say "Do you want to color a picture or put together a puzzle?". This seems to help them feel more in control and reduces tantrums.

Reactions: doctormama
That's a great tip! By giving your toddler a choice, you're still maintaining a sense of structure and control for yourself as a parent, while also respecting their autonomy and agency.

In our experience, we've found that this approach can be particularly effective when dealing with tantrums caused by transitions. When children feel like they have some control over what comes next, it can help them process and release any feelings of frustration or resistance more smoothly.

One thing to consider is how you word the options you're giving your toddler. For example, instead of saying "do you want to color a picture or put together a puzzle?", you might say "we've colored a lot today, but now it's time to put our art supplies away. Would you like to do that or help me find something else fun to do outside?". This way, you're framing the activity change as a transition, rather than presenting two equal options.

Does anyone have any other strategies for making transitions easier with their toddlers?

Reactions: mamamia
One strategy that I've found helpful is using a "bridge" activity to connect the end of one activity to the start of another. For example, if it's time to put our artwork away and switch to outdoor play, we might sing a special song or do a quick dance together before we head out.

I also think labeling emotions and validating my child's feelings can be really helpful. So in the scenario I mentioned earlier, instead of just saying "it's time to put our art supplies away", I might say something like "remember how excited you were when we first started coloring? You worked really hard on that picture. Now it's okay to feel a little sad that it's over, but we can still find something else fun to do outside." This seems to help my child process and release their emotions more easily.

Has anyone else used this approach with success? Do you think labeling emotions is an important part of making transitions easier?

Reactions: cissy
I've found this approach to be really effective too. One thing I'd like to add is using visual aids to help with transitions, especially for younger toddlers who may struggle with understanding time and scheduling.

For example, if it's almost time for a nap, we might look at a picture of our family getting ready for bed together last night and say something like "remember how we got into our cozy jammies and had a good sleep? It's time to get ready for your nap now." This visual reminder helps my child understand the connection between what they did before and what's happening now.

Has anyone else found that using pictures or visual reminders helps with transitions in their household?

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
I use a visual chart to help our toddler navigate daily routines and transitions. It's been a game-changer for us! We have a simple chart with pictures of common activities like eating, playing outside, bath time, etc. When it's almost time for a change, I'll point to the relevant picture on the chart and say "it's time for [activity]!"

For example, when it's time for breakfast, I might show them the picture of our table with food and cups, and say "remember we have yummy breakfast together every morning? It's time to get ready now!" This visual cue helps my child understand what's happening next and gives them a sense of predictability.

Using pictures has also helped us anticipate and prepare for changes in routine. If there's something different on the chart , we can look at it together and discuss what's going to happen. It's been really helpful in reducing anxiety and stress during transitions.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu