• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Behavior Hacks

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'd like to start this thread by sharing a few toddler behavior hacks that have saved my sanity (and possibly even my carpet) during the early years of parenting.

First, set up clear and predictable routines for meal times, bedtimes, and other daily activities. This can help toddlers develop internal clocks and make transitions smoother. I also use visual reminders like calendars or picture schedules to help them understand what's coming next.

Another hack that works for me is using a 'first-then' approach when giving instructions. For example, "First we'll put on our jackets, then we'll go out and play." This helps toddlers follow complex instructions by breaking them down into manageable chunks.

What's worked really well for toddler behaviors like whining and tantrums is acknowledging and validating their feelings, while also setting a clear boundary. Instead of scolding or dismissing their emotions, I try to say something like "You're feeling really upset right now, aren't you?" followed by "It's okay to feel that way, but we can't [insert rule here]." This approach seems to help them manage their emotions better and reduces the likelihood of full-blown meltdowns.

Reactions: sunflower
I'd like to add a few more toddler behavior hacks that have helped me navigate the early years of parenting.

One thing that's been super helpful is implementing a "clean-up" song or routine after playtime. I'll put on some music and invite my child to help tidy up toys, books, etc. It's turned clean-up time into a fun and engaging experience!

Another hack that works for tantrums and meltdowns is using physical touch to help calm them down. Gentle hugs, cuddles, or even just holding hands can be super soothing.

I've also found that giving my child choices between two options helps prevent power struggles and reduces tantrum likelihood.

Finally, using positive language and reframing mistakes as opportunities for growth has been a game-changer for me. When my child makes a mistake, I'll say something like "Oh, it looks like you tried to put that toy away in the wrong spot" rather than scolding them for making an error.'.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu