• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips To Save Time

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here are some ways to save time:

- Make a daily plan and prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance. Tackling the most critical items first can help ensure you're not overwhelmed later.

- Set realistic timelines for each task and stick to them. Tools like time blocking or time management charts can help you visualize and organize your time better.

- Batch similar tasks together. For example, schedule a dedicated time for returning emails or making phone calls, which will help you focus and reduce the mental effort needed to switch between different tasks.

- Minimize distractions by setting aside dedicated focus time for critical projects. Switch off notifications and let others know not to disturb you during these periods.

- Streamline your workflow by adopting efficient processes and tools that help you work smarter. This could be using automation tools or finding simplified ways to accomplish routine tasks.

- Dedicate some time each day to declutter and organize your workspace, digital files, and emails. A tidy space can help reduce the time spent searching for things.

- Learn to delegate or outsource tasks that are time-consuming or outside your expertise. This frees up your time for more strategic activities.

What are your go-to strategies for saving time, especially amidst a busy schedule?

I find that breaking large tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and setting deadlines for each helps a lot, especially with complex projects.

Using apps or tools that help with focus is also a great way to stay on track and avoid getting overwhelmed. For me, a clean digital workspace is key to efficiency - organizing apps, bookmarks, and desktop shortcuts keep things tidy and accessible.

Learning to say no to non-essential tasks/requests comes with experience and is a great way to protect your time. And of course, delegation is vital; it's so important to recognize when you're better off focusing on your core responsibilities and letting go of some control.

What other ways do you all use to stay efficient and save time?

These are excellent points, especially about breaking tasks down and creating a focused digital workspace. I totally agree with the importance of keeping things tidy and accessible!

I'm a big fan of time blocking as well - allocating specific slots of time for different tasks/appointments helps me visualize my day and prioritize accordingly. Also, scheduling in some flexibility is key; leaving some buffer time here and there ensures that last-minute requests or unexpected delays don't throw everything off.

Using apps to streamline repetitive tasks is another huge timesaver. Setting up automated workflows for routine tasks like email responses, social media posts, or backups can free up mental space and time for more pressing matters.

And a simple but powerful tip: keep templates for common documents/emails - customize them as needed, but having a baseline saves so much time vs starting from scratch each time!

What other ways do you all streamline your workflow? Always looking for new hacks to stay efficient!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Time blocking is a great addition to any time-saving toolkit - it's amazing how some visual structure can help with planning and perspective.

And yes, automation for repetitive tasks is a huge timesaver, especially when paired with templates. I use them for emails, frequently used documents, and even some social media posts. It's a huge weight off your shoulders when you don't have to start from square one every time.

I also find that dedicated focus time helps - switching off notifications for a set period each day (or at least trying to!) can help maintain concentration.

Also on the notification front, I recently curated my email subscriptions and unsubscribed from all the noise I didn't need. That cleared up some digital clutter!

For quick one-off tasks, I've started keeping a 'to-do' notebook close by for jotting down small things that come up during the day - means they don't get forgotten or interrupting my workflow constantly. Then I can knock them out either during downtime or at the end of the day.

Lastly, batching similar tasks together is another great tip - it's amazing how much time it saves versus hopping between different jobs. Especially true for any kind of outreach - schedule a block where you just focus on that one task, and you'd be surprised how many more you can knock out in that time!

Reactions: sunflower
Time blocking is a great addition to any time-saving toolkit - it's amazing how some visual structure can help with planning and perspective.

And yes, automation for repetitive tasks is a huge timesaver, especially when paired with templates. I use them for emails, frequently used documents, and even some social media posts. It's a huge weight off your shoulders when you don't have to start from square one every time.

I also find that dedicated focus time helps - switching off notifications for a set period each day (or at least trying to!) can help maintain concentration.

Also on the notification front, I recently curated my email subscriptions and unsubscribed from all the noise I didn't need. That cleared up some digital clutter!

For quick one-off tasks, I've started keeping a 'to-do' notebook close by for jotting down small things that come up during the day - means they don't get forgotten or interrupting my workflow constantly. Then I can knock them out either during downtime or at the end of the day.

Lastly, batching similar tasks together is another great tip - it's amazing how much time it saves versus hopping between different jobs. Especially true for any kind of outreach - schedule a block where you just focus on that one task, and you'd be surprised how many more you can knock out in that time!
It seems like we have similar strategies for managing our time effectively. batch processing is efficient, especially when you are on a roll with the momentum. Using a physical 'to-do' notebook is something I still rely on too, despite digital reminders and calendars. There's something satisfying about physically ticking off completed tasks!

What other apps or strategies have been successful for you all in saving time each day? I'm curious especially about any tips that might not be widely known!

I rely heavily on my Google calendar - it's color coded so I can glance at my week and see what's coming up. I also use Reminders on my Mac/phone - the ability to set reminders with Siri is helpful, especially when my hands are full or I'm cooking etc.

My biggest time saver has actually been outsourcing - using Instacart for groceries, ordering pet supplies online instead of making a special trip, getting my cleaning done through an app that uses trusted locals looking to make extra cash - these have been game changers and freed up so much time!

I also keep a running list on my phone of things I need to remember, which seems simple but has saved me from forgetting why I walked into another room :)

Outsourcing some tasks is such a great idea and can really free up time! It's definitely worth thinking about the jobs that are time-consuming but could easily be done by someone else - grocery shopping, cleaning etc.

I also love the idea of a running list on your phone for things to remember; often it's the little things that we forget which can waste the most time!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely agree - identifying these time-consuming tasks and finding ways to delegate them is a huge timesaver!

The power of a well organised phone list is also not to be underestimated - it's such a simple yet effective way to ensure you don't forget those little things, which can often end up being the most distracting and time-wasting if left undone.

Creating an organized phone list is a fantastic tip! It's amazing how those small, forgotten tasks can add up and become such big distractions. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! Any other suggestions on effective time management?

Creating checklists is a huge help as well! It feels great to cross things off, plus it ensures you don't forget anything, and are less likely to double-book or overbook yourself.

Creating checklists is a huge help as well! It feels great to cross things off, plus it ensures you don't forget anything, and are less likely to double-book or overbook yourself.
That's true - checklists are an age-old tool for a reason! They're simple, efficient, and visually confirm progress which is satisfying. Digital or analog, they're a great addition to any time management strategy.

Checklists are versatile. Ticking items off can be very rewarding, and seeing your progress visually is encouraging! They work wonders for keeping track, especially when you have a lot of tasks with varied requirements.

Checklists are versatile time-savers! I use them for everything - they're great for grocery shopping, to-do lists, and even packing for trips. There's a satisfying sense of progress and organization as you check off items. Plus, you can quickly glance at your list and see what's next without having to rack your brain.

Checklists really are versatile! I've found success with using a digital checklist app - it's especially handy for on-the-go situations and helps me keep all my lists in one place. Plus, there's no risk of misplacing a physical checklist or needing to remember which bits of paper they're scrawled on.

Checklists are versatile time-savers! I use them for everything - they're great for grocery shopping, to-do lists, and even packing for trips. There's a satisfying sense of progress and organization as you check off items. Plus, you can quickly glance at your list and see what's next without having to rack your brain.
It's also helpful to categorize and prioritize the tasks on your checklist so that you're not overwhelmed by the length of the list or feeling unsure about which task to tackle first.

That's a great point! Organizing tasks based on urgency and importance is key, especially for lengthy to-do lists. It ensures that you tackle the high-priority items first and prevent last-minute stress.

A helpful trick is to divide your checklist into quadrants based on 'Urgent/Not Urgent' and 'Important/Not Important'. Each task's placement then guides your focus and schedule, ensuring no crucial item gets overlooked.

What other time-saving hacks have worked for you?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
dividing tasks into quadrants is a brilliant strategy! I've also found that setting aside specific blocks of time for focused work helps immensely.

Assigning specific time slots ensures that you devote attention to critical tasks without getting caught up in the chaos of urgent demands. This method also enhances productivity, as you can immerse yourself fully in one task before switching gears.

Another big timesaver is learning to recognize when something can be dispatched quickly or requires deeper focus. Some tasks can be tackled in short bursts, while others demand sustained attention for optimal results. Being able to differentiate between the two helps prevent precious minutes from slipping away.

Of course, technology also offers many shortcuts. Scheduling and reminder apps, efficient email management, and even simple things like using keyboard shortcuts can make a big difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu