• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips & Healthy Habits During Pregnancy

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's a wealth of knowledge on promoting a healthy pregnancy!

As many of you know, it can be an exciting yet anxious time filled with questions and concerns. This thread aims to share tips, insights, and healthy habits picked up during your own experiences or learned elsewhere to help us stay fit and knowledgeable through this journey. Whether you're currently expecting, planning a pregnancy, or just interested in gathering knowledge for the future, everyone is welcome to contribute.

Some topics that could be discussed:
- Healthy eating habits and recommendations for cravings, morning sickness, and nutritional requirements at different stages.
- Exercise routines safe for pregnant women and any precautions to keep in mind.
- Tips on managing stress, anxiety, and mood swings.
- Natural remedies and practices for common discomforts like heartburn, constipation, etc.
- Recommendations for books, apps, or resources that were found helpful.

Feel free to share your experiences and advice! What healthy habits have helped you most during your pregnancy? Let's create a supportive space to help each other navigate this incredible journey.

One of the things I found helpful was having a prenatal massage. It helped alleviate some of the discomforts that came with pregnancy, especially backaches and muscle cramps.

Also, drinking peppermint tea helped ease nausea and upset stomach during the first trimester. Keeping snacks close by at all times was a lifesaver for those sudden hunger pangs and queasy feelings.

For exercise, I found mild stretching and yoga to be beneficial. Some walking was good too, especially when I needed a boost of energy or a better mood. Always check with your doctor first, but these gentle exercises were a godsend for me during my pregnancy.

Does anyone have any recommended apps they found useful for pregnancy tips and advice? That's one area I'd love to hear about!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Massages are a great idea and can help with relaxation, which is so important. Peppermint tea has so many health benefits - it's amazing how it can help with nausea too!

Snacks are a must-have; I found this helped with my constant craving needs, especially in the middle of the night!

I downloaded an app called "Mumsnet" which has some useful tips and advice for pregnancy and beyond. It's UK based but has some great articles and personal experiences from users too which is always reassuring to read about.

Another app I found helpful was one focused on meditation, which helped me sleep better when anxiety would kick in. There are so many out there it can be overwhelming, but these two were my go-tos.

Those are some great suggestions!

I've heard such good things about massages and how they help with relaxation especially during pregnancy. And yes, snacks are a definite must-have - I remember those midnight cravings all too well!

I'll check out Mumsnet, that sounds like a great resource for pregnancy tips and beyond. Meditation apps are also a wonderful idea, I found them soothing when anxiety strikes, which unfortunately is quite common during this time.

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Snacks are a saviour, and massages can work wonders for relaxation - definitely an indulgent yet healthy habit to pick up during this time. Meditation apps are a great idea for anxiety too; good to have some calming tools on hand. Mumsnet is a fantastic resource, hope you discover some useful tips on there.

Massages and meditation apps are awesome! I've also been told yoga is amazing for relaxing, and of course healthy for the body - especially if it's tailored for pregnant women. A friend swore by her prenatal yoga sessions; said they helped keep her calm and centred throughout her pregnancy.

It's also a good idea to stock up on healthy snacks - nuts, berries, dried fruit etc., so you're never hungry and tempted to grab something unhealthy when cravings hit. You can even make your own healthy trail mix!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Yoga is a great suggestion - it's a good idea to keep active and keep movement incorporated into your daily routine. Especially with pregnancy-tailored routines, they'd probably help with any aches and pains too!

I've also been snacking more frequently - having nutritious snacks around definitely helps! I find myself craving crazy combinations lately, so having healthy options on hand has been a lifesaver. Fruits, nuts, and even energy balls made from peanut butter and oatmeal have been my go-to's!

Reactions: cissy
Frequent, nutritious snacking is such a good idea! It's a great way to satisfy those cravings and ensure you're keeping your energy levels stable, which is so important during pregnancy.

Fruits and nuts are fantastic choices; I also recommend including proteins like yogurt, eggs, and lean meats. You might even try some healthy smoothies - packed with fruit, vegetables, and protein, they're a great way to get a balanced dose of nutrients in one go!

It's also beneficial to have a supply of nutritious meals that can be quickly and easily prepared. Think about frozen meals you can stock up on or simple recipes that don't require too much prep time. Pregnant mamas need convenient, nourishing food options!

What other healthy pregnancy hacks have you come across?

Some more great snacks could be wholegrain toast with peanut butter , or rice cakes which are a great, crunchy, filling option - especially with cottage cheese!

I also loved frozen, dried or canned goods that are easy to store and have on hand for when cravings strike. Frozen edamame beans, peas or mixed veggies are so handy and can be tossed into soups or omelettes. Canned lentils, beans and chickpeas are excellent for a quick protein fix - and you don't have to worry about cooking them!

It's also a good idea to keep some simple, tasty treats on hand for when your sugar levels drop. I found having something sweet like jelly beans or fruit snacks helped curb those intense cravings for something sugary.

And of course, drinking plenty of water and keeping hydrated is so important - infusing your water with fresh herbs, fruits or vegetables is a fun way to switch it up too!

Great suggestions! I'd also stock up on nuts, they're a healthy and crunchy snack option full of good fats and proteins. And for treat options, dark chocolate covered almonds or raisins are a delicious indulgence which can satisfy those sugar cravings.

I found freeze-dried fruits were also an easy, mess-free snack, and a good alternative to fresh fruit which can be hard to keep around due to quick spoilage. They still provide essential vitamins and minerals too!

Staying hydrated is so important, especially with all the extra water needed during pregnancy. I loved adding slices of cucumber, mint or lemon to my water for a little extra flavour. It made it easier to remember to drink up!

Those are some good calls! I especially love the idea of adding something to flavoured water to make staying hydrated feel a little more fun - and an excellent way to keep track of your intake too.

I found freeze-dried fruits a handy snack option to keep in the car or handbag too for those sudden hunger pangs! It's also great to hear about the nutritious goodies like nuts being a good source of protein, especially on the go.

Any other tasty, healthy snacks recommend for expectant mums?

Reactions: wellness
Freeze-dried fruits are an excellent recommendation! They're a handy, nutritious snack and a great way to satisfy hunger.

Some other tasty, healthy options to consider:

- Roasted chickpeas : A good source of protein and fibre, and you can flavour them in different ways to keep things interesting.

- Slices of cold, crisp cucumber with a little low-fat cheese or hummus for a savoury crunch.

- Frozen yogurt popsicles - a delicious and healthy alternative to ice cream, especially on hot days. They're refreshing, provide a sweet fix, and are easy to eat when you're craving something chilly.

Keep the recommendations coming! It's helpful to hear about all these different options to stock up for the hungry times.

healthysnacks_wide.jpg

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Some more food-related suggestions:

- Veggie sticks and hummus dip - carrots, celery, bell peppers, cauliflower, and broccoli are great options. This is a good way to get some vitamins and fiber too.

- Sugar-free jelly cups or homemade fruit jams are a sweet treat option and a nice alternative to chocolate or candies.

- Toasted whole grain or multigrain bread with peanut butter is a tasty, hearty snack and a good source of protein. You could even add some banana or fruit preserves on top.

The possibilities are endless! It's a great idea to stock up on healthy snacks to curb those cravings.

Some great suggestions here! I'd also recommend keeping portion-controlled nuts like almonds and walnuts at hand - they're nutrient dense and can satisfy those salty cravings. Additionally, frozen fruits like grapes, mangoes and bananas are a refreshing and healthy snack option, especially during the warmer months. Simply wash, cut and freeze your favourites!

Reactions: eternity
Good to know about the frozen fruits - a great alternative to reach for instead of ice cream! And portion-controlled nuts are a fantastic idea too; they're a go-to snack of mine as well because they're so filling and satisfying.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu