• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips For Your Chaotic Schedule

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
1) Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize! Make a list and tackle the most pressing tasks first - this prevents them from becoming overwhelming.

2) Set realistic goals. Breaking tasks into manageable chunks makes your schedule less daunting and helps you stay focused.

3) Schedule flex time. Assign some wiggle room to accommodate unexpected emergencies or last-minute priorities, giving your day some breathing room.

4) Utilize time-saving hacks. Simple shortcuts like meal prepping or batching similar tasks together can free up precious hours.

5) Don't fear downtime. A few minutes of 'wasted' time can prevent burnout and give you mental space to refocus. Use it to step away, clear your mind, and tackle the next task refreshed.

Great tips! especially liking the idea of scheduling flex time - that buffer can be a lifesaver when unexpected situations pop up.

And yep, prioritizing is such an effective strategy, yet so often overlooked. Making it a daily habit can really help manage expectations and prevent that sense of being overwhelmed.

Also, loving the downtime advice - stepping away for a few minutes can be a great reset button and prevent burnout, especially if you've been hitting it hard all morning!

Happy to hear you found the tips helpful!

Buffer time is a great investment, and often ends up being well worth it even if it feels like an indulgence. It's easy to underestimate how much 'life' can pop up, especially with more complex schedules.

Prioritizing is definitely key - it's amazing how quickly those small tasks can pile up and create that overwhelmed feeling. Taking a moment each day to regroup and refocus really helps manage the workflow.

Stepping away for some downtime is so important too; it's amazing what a quick break can do for your focus and motivation, especially if you're working non-stop!

Happy to hear you found the tips helpful!

Buffer time is a great investment, and often ends up being well worth it even if it feels like an indulgence. It's easy to underestimate how much 'life' can pop up, especially with more complex schedules.

Prioritizing is definitely key - it's amazing how quickly those small tasks can pile up and create that overwhelmed feeling. Taking a moment each day to regroup and refocus really helps manage the workflow.

Stepping away for some downtime is so important too; it's amazing what a quick break can do for your focus and motivation, especially if you're working non-stop!
I agree entirely!

Buffer time is like an insurance against unexpected events, which happen more often than we'd like to admit. I find that having a quick backup plan for my buffer time helps too. For instance, if I have back-to-back appointments and discover that the first one will go over time, I have a go-to list of tasks that can be done in between, which takes minimal preparation or none at all - like replying to emails or catching up on some work correspondence.

Taking time off also helps to reset and refocus, especially if you've been eyeballs deep in the same project for days. I usually go for a quick walk, which helps freshen my mind and body, but I also keep a list of fun, mindless activities I can do for some me-time. Coloring-in has been quite popular among my mom friends lately!

What other techniques do you use to manage your time and energy throughout the day?

I agree entirely!

Buffer time is like an insurance against unexpected events, which happen more often than we'd like to admit. I find that having a quick backup plan for my buffer time helps too. For instance, if I have back-to-back appointments and discover that the first one will go over time, I have a go-to list of tasks that can be done in between, which takes minimal preparation or none at all - like replying to emails or catching up on some work correspondence.

Taking time off also helps to reset and refocus, especially if you've been eyeballs deep in the same project for days. I usually go for a quick walk, which helps freshen my mind and body, but I also keep a list of fun, mindless activities I can do for some me-time. Coloring-in has been quite popular among my mom friends lately!

What other techniques do you use to manage your time and energy throughout the day?
Coloring is therapeutic and a great way to take your mind off things! I've also heard of mothers turning to kitting as it only requires some concentration and not a lot of time, which is perfect when you're a busy mom. Plus points if you're creating something beautiful or useful in the process!

I keep a physical calendar board with all the family appointments and activities stuck onto it using cute colorful stickers - old school but effective way of visualizing everyone's schedules in one go. No doubt, digital calendars are handy, but there's something satisfying about sticking those adorable stickers and then tearing them off once the event is done.

Meals can also be prepared in advance and frozen for days when you don't have the luxury of time to cook. That way, you ensure your family still gets a nutritious meal, and you don't have to resort to takeaway every other day. Another thing I do is prepare ingredients ahead of time, like chopping veggies or marinating meat, so that cooking becomes a breeze when you need it to be.

There's always so much to juggle when you're a parent, but these simple hacks help me navigate through the chaos!

Coloring is therapeutic and a great way to take your mind off things! I've also heard of mothers turning to kitting as it only requires some concentration and not a lot of time, which is perfect when you're a busy mom. Plus points if you're creating something beautiful or useful in the process!

I keep a physical calendar board with all the family appointments and activities stuck onto it using cute colorful stickers - old school but effective way of visualizing everyone's schedules in one go. No doubt, digital calendars are handy, but there's something satisfying about sticking those adorable stickers and then tearing them off once the event is done.

Meals can also be prepared in advance and frozen for days when you don't have the luxury of time to cook. That way, you ensure your family still gets a nutritious meal, and you don't have to resort to takeaway every other day. Another thing I do is prepare ingredients ahead of time, like chopping veggies or marinating meat, so that cooking becomes a breeze when you need it to be.

There's always so much to juggle when you're a parent, but these simple hacks help me navigate through the chaos!
I keep things old school too; physical calendar and coloring are relaxing! Freezing meals is a great idea - a nutritious, quick dinner without the fuss. Preparation is key to keeping sanity amidst the busy mum life.

Colouring on a physical calendar is satisfying and relaxing! Freezing meals ahead of time sounds like a fantastic idea to save time and energy during those busy days - it's like having a backup plan for dinner every night. Preparation and some old-school organisational methods definitely go a long way!

Colouring on a physical calendar is satisfying and relaxing! Freezing meals ahead of time sounds like a fantastic idea to save time and energy during those busy days - it's like having a backup plan for dinner every night. Preparation and some old-school organisational methods definitely go a long way!
Having a backup plan for dinner is a great way to describe it! And it's fun too, like you've got your very own secret weapon against the chaos!

• Love
Reactions: nature and queenie
Having a backup plan for dinner is a great way to describe it! And it's fun too, like you've got your very own secret weapon against the chaos!
Yeah, feel like a superhero with a hidden power-up, especially when you're hungry and exhausted after a long day. It's like *pow*, dinner is served, saving the day (and your sanity)! No need to panic; it's all under control, even if it feels like absolute chaos moments ago. That's the power of prepared minds, my friend!

Meal prepping and planning are truly superpowers in action, turning your hectic schedule into manageable chaos. That feeling of having a delicious, nutritious meal ready to go when you're tired and hungry is incredibly satisfying. It's like having your very own caped crusader in the kitchen!

Meal prepping and planning are truly superpowers in action, turning your hectic schedule into manageable chaos. That feeling of having a delicious, nutritious meal ready to go when you're tired and hungry is incredibly satisfying. It's like having your very own caped crusader in the kitchen!
Having a ready-to-eat meal after a tiring day really does feel like a superhero power! The satisfaction of a warm dinner waiting for you, especially when you've had a long day with your tot, is an unbeatable sensation. It's like your past self has got your back!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Having a ready-to-eat meal after a tiring day really does feel like a superhero power! The satisfaction of a warm dinner waiting for you, especially when you've had a long day with your tot, is an unbeatable sensation. It's like your past self has got your back!
That's a great feeling! A well-stocked freezer can be a real lifesaver on exhausting days when cooking is the last thing you feel like doing.

Freezing leftovers is such a good idea and can come to the rescue on those extremely busy days! I love coming home and knowing that all I need to do is defrost something I had put away on a day when I had some extra time and energy.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Great tip! I like to portion leftovers into individual servings and freeze them. That way, I can easily grab what I need without having to defrost an entire batch. It's also handy when you're living by yourself and don't want to cook every day.

This is a great hack! Sometimes we get so caught up in meal prep that we forget the freezing part can also help us save time and money. Portioning leftovers is a wonderful way to ensure you have home-cooked meals on busy days and reduce food waste too - win-win situation!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's true! I love freezing portions of soups, stews and even some pre-cooked proteins like chicken or meat balls. It makes putting together a quick meal so much easier when you have a chaotic day and don't have the time to cook from scratch.

Best-Practices-For-Avoiding-Food-Waste-At-Home-Checklist.jpg

That's a smart way to prepare for chaotic days! Having some pre-frozen meals ready to go takes so much stress off your shoulders, and it doesn't hurt the taste buds either 😋. I usually struggle with overbuying produce and having it wilt before I can use them all; freezing some of them is such a good solution!

Reactions: cissy and nature
That's a smart way to prepare for chaotic days! Having some pre-frozen meals ready to go takes so much stress off your shoulders, and it doesn't hurt the taste buds either 😋. I usually struggle with overbuying produce and having it wilt before I can use them all; freezing some of them is such a good solution!
Yes! I second that. It's an excellent way to reduce wastage and save time, especially for busy parents like us. We could also involve our kids in preparing these meals - teaching them basic cooking/freezing skills and keeping them entertained. Win-win!

Involving the kids is a fantastic idea! Not only does it keep them occupied and teach them an essential life skill, but it also makes meal prep time more enjoyable and interactive for everyone involved. It's a wonderful way to create precious family memories too.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Involving the kids is a fantastic idea! Not only does it keep them occupied and teach them an essential life skill, but it also makes meal prep time more enjoyable and interactive for everyone involved. It's a wonderful way to create precious family memories too.
Kids learning to cook is a win-win situation because not only does it give them something meaningful to do, it lightens the parent's load and teaches them an essential life skill.

Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu