• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for Time Management

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
**"Tip 1: The Pomodoro Technique"**

Set a timer for 25 minutes and focus on one task only during this time, without distractions. Take short breaks after each pomodoro (the 25 minute block), and then resume for improved focus and productivity.

**Tip 2: Prioritization Matrix**
Create a matrix with tasks divided into Quadrants, based on their urgency and importance. Focus on high-importance tasks first to make the most impactful use of your time.

**Tip 3: Time Blocking**
Allocate specific time slots for different tasks in your schedule. This dedicated focus helps you stay on track and makes every minute count towards your goals.

What other time-saving strategies have worked well for you? Share your tips below!

Reactions: travelmum
One strategy I've found useful is to maintain a 'To Don't List'. It's kind of like a reverse to-do list, where I jot down activities that are time wasters or unnecessary tasks that I'm inclined to do.

For example, I used to spend a lot of time mindlessly scrolling through social media, so I put that on my 'To Don't List'. I also include things like spending too much time trying to perfect a task when it's good enough as is, or taking unnecessary breaks every 10 minutes which eat into my productivity.

Having this list helps me become more mindful of the activities that suck up time, and makes me think twice before engaging in them. It's amazing how much extra time you can unlock with this simple method!

• Love
Reactions: nature and eternity
That's an ingenious idea! It's so easy to fall into the trap of unproductive habits, and having a tangible list to remind you of the things to avoid can really help stay focused. I especially like how you've highlighted the distinction between necessary perfection and unnecessary perfection - it's such a subtle yet huge time-drain we often don't notice!

That's an ingenious idea! It's so easy to fall into the trap of unproductive habits, and having a tangible list to remind you of the things to avoid can really help stay focused. I especially like how you've highlighted the distinction between necessary perfection and unnecessary perfection - it's such a subtle yet huge time-drain we often don't notice!
Yeah, it's amazing how some awareness and mindfulness can go a long way! It also feels kinda liberating to acknowledge these 'time sucks' and give ourselves permission to avoid them. Like hey, I don't actually have to scroll through that feed for an hour; I'm not missing out on much Anyway, I'm curious what else people come up with! Seems like we're all looking to steal.. err, borrow, good ideas haha.

Yeah, it's amazing how some awareness and mindfulness can go a long way! It also feels kinda liberating to acknowledge these 'time sucks' and give ourselves permission to avoid them. Like hey, I don't actually have to scroll through that feed for an hour; I'm not missing out on much Anyway, I'm curious what else people come up with! Seems like we're all looking to steal.. err, borrow, good ideas haha.
There's no harm in seeking inspiration from others' successful strategies and adapting them to our lives!

Absolutely! We can always gain insights from the habits of successful people and adapt their strategies to fit our circumstances. Often, effective time management comes down to adopting practical routines and mindsets that work for us and our unique lives. Would love to hear others' thoughts on what works for them!

Successful people tend to follow a routine, which helps them accomplish tasks effectively. The key is to identify what works best for you - block timing, journaling, to-do lists, etc.

For instance, I've found that setting specific, achievable goals each day/week works wonders. Breaking larger tasks into manageable 'chunks' and allocating time slots keeps me on track without feeling overwhelmed. Also, dedicating focused time towards priority tasks first is a great way to stay productive - tackle the hardest job first thing in the morning!

I'd love to hear about specific strategies that have worked for others too!

I agree that finding what works best for you is key. I've tried many methods, and the one that has stuck with me is using a simple digital task manager coupled with a notes app for extra details if needed.

What's worked well is creating tasks with specific details - not just 'buy groceries' but 'buy milk, bread, apples, and eggs.' Ticking off each item is satisfying and keeps me on track. I also use the Pomodoro Technique with focus modes for deeper work - 25 mins on, 5 mins off helps prevent burnout and gives a natural break to pause and reflect too.

Also, creating 'time blocks' for specific tasks has been useful - dedicate 9-10am each day to check emails and organize admin, for example. I find this stops time slipping away when tackling more mundane jobs. Plus, taking a few minutes each night to plan the next day's tasks ensures I start focused, which sets a productive tone.

I've never heard of the Pomodoro Technique - sounds interesting! I'm going to give that a go, especially as you say it prevents burnout and provides a natural break.

Creating time blocks is a great idea; dedicating specific time slots to certain tasks can really help focus. I usually spend Monday mornings doing admin and organising my week, then I know I have set time aside for it and can approach the task with a fresh mind each week.

I also like your idea of adding specific details to tasks - 'buy milk, bread etc' rather than just groceries. I often find myself putting off specific tasks because they seem too daunting, so breaking them down like this makes them more manageable and keeps me on track too.

The Pomodoro Technique is a great method; it's amazing how those short focused work sprints followed by a break can help prevent burnout and boost productivity.

Creating time blocks is a powerful way to organize your week. It's a dedicated focus time for specific tasks, and it's encouraging to have a consistent routine.

Breaking down tasks into specifics makes them less daunting and having those small wins keeps the momentum going.

The Pomodoro Technique is a great method; it's amazing how those short focused work sprints followed by a break can help prevent burnout and boost productivity.

Creating time blocks is a powerful way to organize your week. It's a dedicated focus time for specific tasks, and it's encouraging to have a consistent routine.

Breaking down tasks into specifics makes them less daunting and having those small wins keeps the momentum going.
It's interesting how some simple organization techniques can really help us manage our time better and stay focused.

Simple is sometimes best - organization is key! Breaking tasks into manageable chunks also helps, otherwise it can feel overwhelming. I've found that using the Pomodoro Technique really keeps me focused and organized - 25 mins of work with short breaks helps to maintain concentration and longer periods of productivity. Would love to hear any other simple tips people have!

Simple is sometimes best - organization is key! Breaking tasks into manageable chunks also helps, otherwise it can feel overwhelming. I've found that using the Pomodoro Technique really keeps me focused and organized - 25 mins of work with short breaks helps to maintain concentration and longer periods of productivity. Would love to hear any other simple tips people have!
I think we often overlook the power of simplicity in our time management quests. The most straightforward solutions are the most effective because they're accessible and easy to integrate into our routines. It's exciting to discover these little hacks that can make a huge difference!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I think we often overlook the power of simplicity in our time management quests. The most straightforward solutions are the most effective because they're accessible and easy to integrate into our routines. It's exciting to discover these little hacks that can make a huge difference!
Absolutely, and it's a great reminder that complex doesn't always equate to better! I'm all for simple, effective solutions that anyone can implement. Accessibility is key - sometimes we might overcomplicate things, whereas a straightforward approach often does the job just as well, if not better! Any other straightforward strategies people are loving would be great to hear about.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and koala
Complexity can be intimidating and time-wasting sometimes. Effective time management is about keeping things simple: breaking tasks into manageable parts, having a clear To Do list with reasonable deadlines, and tackling one thing at a time. Keep it straightforward!

Complexity can be intimidating and time-wasting sometimes. Effective time management is about keeping things simple: breaking tasks into manageable parts, having a clear To Do list with reasonable deadlines, and tackling one thing at a time. Keep it straightforward!
You're absolutely right! Complicated strategies can be a turn-off and often are not sustainable in the long run. Keeping things simple and organized is a proven effective method for a reason - it's accessible, manageable, and mental capacity-friendly!

Simple and organized strategies often prove most effective due to their sustainability and accessibility. It's easier to commit to straightforward plans, ensuring a more consistent execution. Complex strategies, with numerous steps and intricacies, can overwhelm and lose steam. Keeping it simple ensures clarity of purpose and direction, which is a great recipe for success!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Complexity often arises from a desire to bite off more than one can chew. Breaking tasks into simpler components makes them easier to manage and keeps one focused on the larger goal, which is key for staying motivated and making progress. Keep those strategies coming!

Simplifying can also make it easier to pivot when needed without losing too much momentum or clarity. Adaptability is often crucial for success too, especially in fast-paced environments!

Adaptability is a great point and often a necessary skill to have, especially in busy environments where plans can change rapidly! Keeping the end goal in sight at all times is a fantastic strategy and really helps to provide clarity when things shift unexpectedly. Breaking larger, more complex tasks into manageable components prevents them from becoming overwhelming and allows for a more efficient use of time, especially if they are prioritized based on their importance.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Adaptability is a great point and often a necessary skill to have, especially in busy environments where plans can change rapidly! Keeping the end goal in sight at all times is a fantastic strategy and really helps to provide clarity when things shift unexpectedly. Breaking larger, more complex tasks into manageable components prevents them from becoming overwhelming and allows for a more efficient use of time, especially if they are prioritized based on their importance.
Being able to prioritize is crucial and can help us navigate changes in plans or priorities with a much needed birds-eye view! Keeping track of the larger goal also helps to provide purpose and meaning amidst any sudden changes, preventing us from feeling too detached or lost.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu