• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips For Saving Time

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score

Share your best tips and hacks for saving time! Whether it's streamlining your morning routine, nailing that weekly meal prep, or an app that helps you organize your calendar, let's share our secrets for squeezing the most out of every day.

I'll start: One thing that's helped me immensely is creating a 'to-do' list by priority level - I rank tasks from A (priority), B (important) and C (would be nice to do, but not essential). This has really changed my approach to time management and prevents me from wasting time on low value activities!
Your turn! What quick fixes or efficient habits have made a noticeable difference in your routine?

Share your best tips and hacks for saving time! Whether it's streamlining your morning routine, nailing that weekly meal prep, or an app that helps you organize your calendar, let's share our secrets for squeezing the most out of every day.

I'll start: One thing that's helped me immensely is creating a 'to-do' list by priority level - I rank tasks from A (priority), B (important) and C (would be nice to do, but not essential). This has really changed my approach to time management and prevents me from wasting time on low value activities!
Your turn! What quick fixes or efficient habits have made a noticeable difference in your routine?
I love making to-do lists too! And I usually jot down the most pressing tasks first.

What really works for me is setting a timer for 15 minutes to tackle a job I keep postponing, like cleaning the bathroom or sorting out last month's expenses. Somehow, knowing I'm doing it for a limited time makes me focus and not procrastinate as much!

I love making to-do lists too! And I usually jot down the most pressing tasks first.

What really works for me is setting a timer for 15 minutes to tackle a job I keep postponing, like cleaning the bathroom or sorting out last month's expenses. Somehow, knowing I'm doing it for a limited time makes me focus and not procrastinate as much!
That's a great tactic! I find that breaking down tasks into manageable chunks helps a lot, especially for dreaded jobs like cleaning or admin work.

My other go-to time saver is to prepare meals in advance - this is an absolute lifesaver on busy weekdays. A slow cooker comes in handy for hands-off cooking, and it's rewarding to simply portion out hearty meals from the pot at the end of the day. Any other mealtime hacks to share?

That's a great tactic! I find that breaking down tasks into manageable chunks helps a lot, especially for dreaded jobs like cleaning or admin work.

My other go-to time saver is to prepare meals in advance - this is an absolute lifesaver on busy weekdays. A slow cooker comes in handy for hands-off cooking, and it's rewarding to simply portion out hearty meals from the pot at the end of the day. Any other mealtime hacks to share?
Another thing I do which helps me stay on track is setting a time limit for certain tasks. If I can get grocery shopping done in 30 mins flat, why am I taking an hour? Having that sense of urgency motivates me to be more focused and efficient so I'm in and out quickly!

Also agree with your mealtime prep idea - it's such a time saver, especially for those days when you're too tired to cook. Freezing individual portions of soupy meals also works well because they defrost and reheat easily.

Another thing I do which helps me stay on track is setting a time limit for certain tasks. If I can get grocery shopping done in 30 mins flat, why am I taking an hour? Having that sense of urgency motivates me to be more focused and efficient so I'm in and out quickly!

Also agree with your mealtime prep idea - it's such a time saver, especially for those days when you're too tired to cook. Freezing individual portions of soupy meals also works well because they defrost and reheat easily.
Using apps or websites that provide recipe inspiration tailored to your preferences can be a timesaver, too. You can plan meals and add the necessary ingredients to your shopping list with just a few clicks!

Are there any other convenient meal prep or time management tips you'd like to share? Perhaps some quick and easy dinner ideas for those hectic weekdays?

Using apps or websites that provide recipe inspiration tailored to your preferences can be a timesaver, too. You can plan meals and add the necessary ingredients to your shopping list with just a few clicks!

Are there any other convenient meal prep or time management tips you'd like to share? Perhaps some quick and easy dinner ideas for those hectic weekdays?
I think keeping things digital is the way to go - notes, lists, and even books! I use the Notes app on my phone for everything - it's so easy to access and I never lose anything. And cloud storage means I can access it from anywhere, anytime.

I also use a fitness tracking app that has a timer and helps me keep an eye on my water intake and steps taken. All-in-one apps are convenient because you just need one place to check instead of multiple apps. But the real game-changer for me has been voice assistants. Linking my calendar and reminders to my assistant makes sure I never miss any appointments and it's hands-free too!

Oh, and meal prep containers are a lifesaver - they help with portion control and make storing leftovers a breeze. Cut down cooking time by using precooked or frozen veggies that you can just heat up!

48184595722_d2946cd2f4_m.jpg

Reactions: bookworm
To maximize time, I do the most challenging task first. This high-value activity clears the mind and boosts motivation and productivity. It's like knocking off that dreaded workout first thing - you feel accomplished and can sail through the rest of the day. Also, set realistic deadlines. Breaking tasks into smaller parts with manageable due dates keeps things doable and prevents last-minute rushes. Multi-tasking is tempting but often leads to mediocre results. Focusing on one high-priority item at a time brings better outcomes.

Reactions: sunflower
To maximize time, I do the most challenging task first. This high-value activity clears the mind and boosts motivation and productivity. It's like knocking off that dreaded workout first thing - you feel accomplished and can sail through the rest of the day. Also, set realistic deadlines. Breaking tasks into smaller parts with manageable due dates keeps things doable and prevents last-minute rushes. Multi-tasking is tempting but often leads to mediocre results. Focusing on one high-priority item at a time brings better outcomes.
I agree with doing the most difficult task first! It's like scratching that item off your list, and you don't have to think about it anymore. You can just focus on the rest of the things without that mental burden. Also, less procrastination this way!

And I do up my grocery list by departments/aisles. So when I'm at the supermarket, I just follow the list and don't have to keep going back and forth getting things from different ends of the store - it's so annoying and a waste of time!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
My go-to time-saving hack is setting up automatic transfers for my bills to ensure I never miss a payment! That way, it's one less thing to think about and no late fees lurking around.

Also, having multiple shopping lists comes in handy - jot down all the grocers you need for each store/department so you only make one trip and don't have to run around like a headless chicken. It's even better if you can get everything delivered, tbh. And ya, I second the ranking of tasks by priority!

To save time, I do all my food prep on Sundays! Cut and wash all veggies, portion out meat, and store them in containers ready to be cooked. That way, cooking only takes 10-15 mins each meal instead of over half an hour just for prep work.

Also, same goes for my laundry. I do all my folding and hanging at one go on Sundays too. No more fumbling around for clothes during the weekdays!

I'm a huge fan of meal prepping, it's a lifesaver! Saves me the hassle of deciding what to cook everyday and also ensures I eat healthy home-cooked meals.

Marking tasks by urgency is helpful too - 'fire-fighting' mode always seems to creep up on me when I don't prioritize my to-do list. Would rather spend some time sorting out the nitty-gritty beforehand so work doesn't pile up!

Also, if you usually buy the same items at the store, keep the list stuck somewhere handy like your fridge. Then everyone in the house can add what's needed as they use up stuff and it saves remembering everything at the last minute.

I love making to-do lists! I've got a slightly different take on it though - I use the 1-3-5 method. Basically, you jot down one big task, then three medium tasks and five small tasks that you want to accomplish on a particular day. It ensures that you don't overwhelm yourself and helps you prioritize the really important stuff.

I also like setting a timer for 10 minutes and seeing what I can get done in that time - usually for mundane tasks like folding laundry or cleaning the bathroom. It's amazing how much you can accomplish in a short burst and it's a great way to stay focused too!

I'm a huge fan of the 'to-do' list! But instead of ranking them alphabetically, I give each task a numerical priority rating from 1-5. Anything with a 1 or 2 gets done first, and if there's time, I move down the list. If something's not super urgent, this system lets me delay it without feeling guilty because I know I'll still get to it eventually.

I also chunk similar tasks together to make my mornings more efficient. For example, I'll set aside some time each morning for emails and admin, then do a batch cook of sorts for breakfast and lunch so I'm not spending ages preppering food every few hours.

My other hack is using the Notes app on my phone for everything - shopping lists, meal ideas, to-do's, even draft texts or blog posts. It's super handy cause it syncs across all my devices, so I can add something on the go and never forget!

I'm a huge fan of the 'to-do' list! But instead of ranking them alphabetically, I give each task a numerical priority rating from 1-5. Anything with a 1 or 2 gets done first, and if there's time, I move down the list. If something's not super urgent, this system lets me delay it without feeling guilty because I know I'll still get to it eventually.

I also chunk similar tasks together to make my mornings more efficient. For example, I'll set aside some time each morning for emails and admin, then do a batch cook of sorts for breakfast and lunch so I'm not spending ages preppering food every few hours.

My other hack is using the Notes app on my phone for everything - shopping lists, meal ideas, to-do's, even draft texts or blog posts. It's super handy cause it syncs across all my devices, so I can add something on the go and never forget!
I usually start with the most challenging and most hated task first hahaha. It’s like ripping off a plaster - quick and painless, and you only have to do it once! Also means I don't keep putting it off.

And yup, that's a great idea about the grocery list. I normally just buy the same things every week, so I should just make a permanent one for each store and tick stuff off as I go. Would save so much time!

Reactions: sportytina
I usually start with the most challenging and most hated task first hahaha. It’s like ripping off a plaster - quick and painless, and you only have to do it once! Also means I don't keep putting it off.

And yup, that's a great idea about the grocery list. I normally just buy the same things every week, so I should just make a permanent one for each store and tick stuff off as I go. Would save so much time!
Starting with the most dreaded task is actually a brilliant way to boost productivity! It's a bit like the military strategy of attacking an enemy at their strongest point - once it's done, everything else feels easier.

For groceries, I also recommend naming each item with a specific brand or a particular variety if that's important e.g. instead of 'milk', I'd write 'President butter milk 2L'. That way, there's no ambiguity and you don't end up buying the wrong thing. You'd be surprised how quickly these specific lists become muscle memory, and then it's just a matter of ticking items off!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Starting with the most dreaded task is actually a brilliant way to boost productivity! It's a bit like the military strategy of attacking an enemy at their strongest point - once it's done, everything else feels easier.

For groceries, I also recommend naming each item with a specific brand or a particular variety if that's important e.g. instead of 'milk', I'd write 'President butter milk 2L'. That way, there's no ambiguity and you don't end up buying the wrong thing. You'd be surprised how quickly these specific lists become muscle memory, and then it's just a matter of ticking items off!
Oh wow, that's such a great tip about naming the item with the brand!! Especially for us Singaporeans who have so many different versions and small stores selling different things haha.

Oh wow, that's such a great tip about naming the item with the brand!! Especially for us Singaporeans who have so many different versions and small stores selling different things haha.
Yeah, it's a handy little hack I picked up from a friend who's a stickler for detail! Really saves time and effort, especially if you've got specific preferences or brand loyalty. It's almost like a secret weapon ;)

Do you have any other tips to share? The more the merrier!

Reactions: sunnydays
Yeah, it's a handy little hack I picked up from a friend who's a stickler for detail! Really saves time and effort, especially if you've got specific preferences or brand loyalty. It's almost like a secret weapon ;)

Do you have any other tips to share? The more the merrier!
One time-saving habit that I picked up from my daughter's pre-school teacher is to prepare everything you need the night before, especially for outings!

You can pack bags, plan and lay out outfits, prepare snacks, and even set up activities for the kids. This saves so much morning rush time, and ensures you remember everything since you're not rushing. You'll be surprised at how calm and efficient you can be when you're not frazzled!

Reactions: happyfeet
Creating folders on your phone for specific apps helps a lot too! I have one named 'Quick Access' with all my often-used apps like calendar, to-do list, email, etc. Finds apps faster that way without wasting time scrolling through pages and pages.

Another thing is to set a default station on your radio or music app for your commute. I always waste time browsing for the right station and end up late sometimes haha. Now I just let the same playlist run if I'm in a hurry cause I know where it is!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I rely on my phone's notes app for everything! I have a running list of groceries, and any other odds and ends that I need to pick up. That way, I never forget anything and have to make multiple trips. If it's not on the list, it's not essential!

Also echo what you said about the meal prep. Takes the stress outta weekdays when you have a go-to dinner ready to heat up. I also portion them out so that it's easy to grab without any extra effort and minimizes food waste too.

If we're talking about quick fixes, having a good ol' routine for chores is a time saver. Assign specific days for laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. That way, you're not doing ad-hoc cleaning or scrambling to figure out what to cook every day.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu