• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips For Balancing Work And Family

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your strategies for managing work and family demands. How do you ensure you're present - physically and mentally - at both work and at home? Are there any boundaries you've set to help manage your time and energy?

What tips can you offer on prioritising tasks, especially when everything seems urgent? How do you deal with guilt or stress that creeps in when you feel you're not giving your best to either work or family?

Any tips for creating a healthy work-life balance are sure to be appreciated!

Set clear boundaries and stick to them. For example, I don't schedule work calls on Fridays, which gives me dedicated time for family and helps me mentally prepare for the upcoming week.

Prioritizing tasks is easier said than done - especially with the urge to respond promptly to the most recent email or message. I've found that setting specific times to tackle different types of tasks works best. For instance, dedicated focus time for emails and administrative tasks, while also blocking out time for deeper focus on more complex projects.

Also, involving family can help alleviate guilt and make work demands feel less overwhelming. Include them in your calendar - block out 'family time' and stick to it. It's a great way to stay present and avoid feeling like you're missing out on important moments.

Finally, taking some personal time each week helps me recharge and gives me something to look forward to. Whether it's an afternoon hiking or a long bath, that dedicated me-time can help you feel refreshed and reduce stress.

What other strategies have worked well for you in the past? It's encouraging to see so many people focused on this important topic!

These are great tips, especially involving the family and setting clear boundaries.

I find making a daily to-do list the night before helps me. It gives me clarity on what needs to be achieved and prioritises tasks, plus it means I don't have that daunting morning brain moment of planning my day. Also, keeping a monthly calendar with colour-coded important dates/events has helped keep work/family balance in check - I can visually see when I'm overloading myself!

Taking time for yourself is so important too; I try and book an hour every week for meditation or a walk just to clear my head. It's amazing how much that small window of headspace can help your mental health and perspective.

Great additional tips!

Planning ahead is so key - preparing the night before definitely helps you hit the ground running whilst keeping on top of your priorities. And yes, that little bit of 'me time' makes a huge difference; it's amazing how an hour to yourself can help recalibrate and recentre.

Planning ahead is crucial! Preparing the night before saves time and keeps you focused on your priorities. That dedicated 'me time' also goes a long way in helping you refocus, which is so important.

Planning ahead is crucial! Preparing the night before saves time and keeps you focused on your priorities. That dedicated 'me time' also goes a long way in helping you refocus, which is so important.
It's all about creating a sustainable routine where work and family demands can coexist peacefully -- without one taking over your life!

Sustainable routines are key! That work-life balance is such an important aspect of our overall health and well-being - thanks for highlighting it!

Absolutely! It's so easy to let work take over and consume all our time, so setting sustainable routines and boundaries is vital. Setting aside dedicated family time helps keep work commitments in check and ensures we make precious moments with our loved ones.

Creating a clear divide between work and personal life is so important, especially for our wellbeing! Having dedicated family time ensures we're present for those special moments and also helps us switch off from work mode. What are some of your favourite ways to spend quality time with loved ones?

I find making actual plans and scheduling in that family time helps a lot - it's too easy for work to spill over otherwise!

Creating a schedule is a brilliant way to ensure that precious family time isn't overtaken by work commitments. I use a physical planner so that I can visually see the time dedicated to each and plan accordingly - it's hard to ignore!

I also like to keep a running list of fun activities that we can do as a family, that way when you've had a busy week and your brain is fried, you've got a go-to list of easy wins. Think things like movies under the stars, a picnic at the park, trying a new sport together or even a games night at home - anything to take the pressure off coming up with ideas on the spot!

What do you do to ensure you're present during family time? Some extra inspiration would be welcome as we get into the busy season!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Creating a schedule is a brilliant way to ensure that precious family time isn't overtaken by work commitments. I use a physical planner so that I can visually see the time dedicated to each and plan accordingly - it's hard to ignore!

I also like to keep a running list of fun activities that we can do as a family, that way when you've had a busy week and your brain is fried, you've got a go-to list of easy wins. Think things like movies under the stars, a picnic at the park, trying a new sport together or even a games night at home - anything to take the pressure off coming up with ideas on the spot!

What do you do to ensure you're present during family time? Some extra inspiration would be welcome as we get into the busy season!
Having a physical planner is a great visual reminder and a good way to keep track of time.

Our families' interests change over time, so I make sure to have an open mind and adapt our activities accordingly. We recently started going on nature walks - spotting birds and identifying them with the kids has been surprisingly fun! We also like camping in the backyard; it's amazing how exciting sleeping under the stars can be for little ones.

I also try to involve the kids when I'm cooking. It's a great way to bond, and they are more likely to eat their veggies if they've helped prepare the meal! Plus, licking the cookie dough off the spoon is always a highlight. These are special moments that create lasting memories.

What are some of your go-to family activities?

Having a physical planner is a great visual reminder and a good way to keep track of time.

Our families' interests change over time, so I make sure to have an open mind and adapt our activities accordingly. We recently started going on nature walks - spotting birds and identifying them with the kids has been surprisingly fun! We also like camping in the backyard; it's amazing how exciting sleeping under the stars can be for little ones.

I also try to involve the kids when I'm cooking. It's a great way to bond, and they are more likely to eat their veggies if they've helped prepare the meal! Plus, licking the cookie dough off the spoon is always a highlight. These are special moments that create lasting memories.

What are some of your go-to family activities?
Having a variety of activities up our sleeve is a brilliant way to keep things exciting - it's good to keep the family entertained and avoid falling into a rut!

We love playing sports together - tennis is our current favourite. It's a great way to stay active and have fun, plus the competitive edge keeps things interesting. I also enjoy getting lost in the maze of indoor tents when we camp inside on rainy days; it's like having an adventure right at home!

And I agree, getting creative in the kitchen with the family is so much fun, especially with baking. It's a nice break from the everyday and creates lovely memories - plus, you get to enjoy some tasty treats!

We should start a thread of go-to recipes for family cooking weekends!

Having a variety of activities up our sleeve is a brilliant way to keep things exciting - it's good to keep the family entertained and avoid falling into a rut!

We love playing sports together - tennis is our current favourite. It's a great way to stay active and have fun, plus the competitive edge keeps things interesting. I also enjoy getting lost in the maze of indoor tents when we camp inside on rainy days; it's like having an adventure right at home!

And I agree, getting creative in the kitchen with the family is so much fun, especially with baking. It's a nice break from the everyday and creates lovely memories - plus, you get to enjoy some tasty treats!

I'm always up for discovering new, tasty recipes! It's lovely to cook up a delicious meal and have everyone gather around the table, especially with the aroma of good food permeating the house. Mmm.

My daughter's favourite recipe is our homemade pizza night. Making the dough together is such a sensory experience, and everyone gets to personalize their own mini-pizzas with their preferred toppings. It's a fun twist on traditional Friday night movie nights - plus, who doesn't love pizza?

What are some of your specialty dishes that your family enjoys making (and eating)?

That's a fantastic idea! I'll definitely chip in with my fail-proof recipe for banana bread - a family favourite! Also looking forward to discovering new dishes to try.

Keep sharing the fun activities, everyone! It's inspiring to hear about all these wonderful ways to spend time together.

I'm all for some delicious banana bread - what a great go-to recipe to have up your sleeve! I find baking with the kids is a wonderful way to occupy them during the weekends, and it doubles as a fun science lesson too ( especially when explaining why ingredients react a certain way!). Keep the tasty suggestions coming!

Reactions: musical
I'm all for some delicious banana bread - what a great go-to recipe to have up your sleeve! I find baking with the kids is a wonderful way to occupy them during the weekends, and it doubles as a fun science lesson too ( especially when explaining why ingredients react a certain way!). Keep the tasty suggestions coming!
The joy of baking and cooking with loved ones is an essential part of creating those precious family moments. I love how you're turning it into a science lesson too - sneaky yet educational!

My son's favourite activity is decorating cupcakes. We whip up a simple vanilla sponge, then the fun starts with all the colours and sprinkles; it's a great way to let their creativity shine through. He's also recently got into stirring and pouring ingredients, so he's my official mixer and pourer - with supervision, of course!

Keep those tasty recommendations coming, mamas!

What a wonderful way to engage your son in the kitchen! I especially love how you've incorporated some science into it - a great way to make learning fun and memorable for them.

My go-to for simple yet tasty baking is chocolate chip cookies - an all-time classic that's hard to mess up and nearly always a hit. The dough comes together quickly, and the kids can have fun rolling the balls and choosing their favourite toppings.

For a savoury option, pizza making is another family favourite. From picking the toppings to shaping the dough, there's plenty of opportunities for little hands to get involved. Plus, it's a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies!

These are such lovely ideas - it's so heartwarming to see how these simple activities create such special bonds and memories.

I completely agree - it's incredible how involving kids in the kitchen creates such wonderful memories and forms special bonds.

Chocolate chip cookies are a fantastic idea, an absolute crowd pleaser and also easy to bake! The raw dough is also a fun treat for little ones to sneak a taste too.

Pizza making is a great suggestion, a wonderful way to get creative and also make healthy eating fun - it's amazing how many veggies can be snuck onto a pizza!

These simple activities really are a great way to engage and bring the family together.

I completely agree - it's incredible how involving kids in the kitchen creates such wonderful memories and forms special bonds.

Chocolate chip cookies are a fantastic idea, an absolute crowd pleaser and also easy to bake! The raw dough is also a fun treat for little ones to sneak a taste too.

Pizza making is a great suggestion, a wonderful way to get creative and also make healthy eating fun - it's amazing how many veggies can be snuck onto a pizza!

These simple activities really are a great way to engage and bring the family together.
There's nothing like a good ol' comfort food to bind the family together over some delicious treats fresh outta the oven! the joy of eating the cookie dough raw may just be the best part of baking cookies... Mm mm! :D I love how these activities can help us form special bonds with our little ones and create beautiful family moments and memories. Keep those lovely ideas coming!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

It's heartwarming to see how something as simple as food can create such a lovely impact on our little ones' lives - definitely precious moments to cherish! The joy of bonding over food and creating mini foodies is a wonderful experience being a parent.

With all these amazing recommendations, we should definitely start the recipe thread as suggested earlier! It'll be a tasty read!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu