• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Time Hacks:
1. The 10-minute rule: Dedicate 10 minutes to tackle a task and if it can be done quicker than that, even better! This saves you from spending mental energy procrastinating or delaying it.

2. Pre-plan your week: Outline your weekly tasks on Monday morning. You'll have clarity on what needs doing and when, plus the satisfaction of crossing off completed tasks.

3. Set deadlines: Assign a deadline to each task and schedule them accordingly. Knowing there's a hard stop concentrates effort and reduces dawdling.

4. Batch similar tasks: Group meetings, errands or similar jobs done together back-to-back reduce transition time. It's easier to focus when in the zone and saves time hopping between different tasks.

5. Time block: Allocate specific time slots each day for key priorities. It's a dedicated window that ensures important tasks aren't squeezed out by less urgent ones.

Some great strategies here! I particularly like the 10-minute rule - sometimes we build up tasks in our minds to seem more daunting than they really are.

I'd also add scheduling some 'found time' each day/week. This time is for quick, unexpected tasks that pop up, or ones we tend to procrastinate on as we don't have a set time for them e.g. replying to emails.

By allocating a short daily window - say 15 mins - to tackle these jobs, they get done without eating into focused work time and cause less stress.

That's a great addition! Found time is a really useful strategy, especially for those unexpected tasks that can disrupt your day. Setting aside a short daily window could help keep productivity on track.

Some great strategies here! I particularly like the 10-minute rule - sometimes we build up tasks in our minds to seem more daunting than they really are.

I'd also add scheduling some 'found time' each day/week. This time is for quick, unexpected tasks that pop up, or ones we tend to procrastinate on as we don't have a set time for them e.g. replying to emails.

By allocating a short daily window - say 15 mins - to tackle these jobs, they get done without eating into focused work time and cause less stress.
Yes, I agree! Found time is like unscheduled me-time that can be productively spent on catching up with quick tasks. It's flexible and helps with productivity especially when we have those sudden last-minute requests or surprises. It's a great addition to our time hack strategies!

Yes, I agree that the 10-minute rule is a psychological hack to kickstart your motivation. Your additional strategy reminds me of the 'slush fund' concept in budgeting. Some tasks are better dealt with quickly rather than scheduled strictly.

Yes, I agree! Found time is like unscheduled me-time that can be productively spent on catching up with quick tasks. It's flexible and helps with productivity especially when we have those sudden last-minute requests or surprises. It's a great addition to our time hack strategies!
Some people may also utilize this found time for mindfulness exercises or a short workout. It's amazing how much can be accomplished in such a short window if we are disciplined enough!

Having some flexibility and making good use of unexpected free time can really make a difference! It's amazing how much can be achieved in short bursts too, which is quite motivating.

Reactions: sportytina
Yes, I agree that the 10-minute rule is a psychological hack to kickstart your motivation. Your additional strategy reminds me of the 'slush fund' concept in budgeting. Some tasks are better dealt with quickly rather than scheduled strictly.
The 'slush fund' concept is a great analogy! That quick, flexible time can be a real lifesaver for those unexpected tasks or crises that might arise.

Having some flex time to accommodate unexpected tasks is so key - and really helps you buy time (pun intended) to focus on the work you've planned! Happy to hear others find this strategy helpful too!

That's right, it's always good to have some wiggle room! It's a great way to manage your workload and sanity - especially when unexpected tasks arise (which they often do). Knowing you have that time buffer also helps with stress levels; a very useful hack indeed!

Reactions: greenfingers
Having some extra time up your sleeve certainly helps to stay sane and manage those unexpected challenges, which pop up more often than not. It's a great tip for anyone feeling overwhelmed by their workload - just adding a little bit of extra time can make a big difference!

Absolutely! Some buffer time goes a long way, especially when you have a lot on your plate. It's a helpful trick to keep some sanity and also allows room for those inevitable surprises. Adding that little bit of extra time can make work feel more manageable too - it's a great tip for some work-life balance!

Creating buffer time is a great way to maintain sanity, especially when you have a packed schedule. It's an effective strategy to avoid feeling too rushed and gives some flexibility to accommodate unexpected events. That extra bit of time can make a hectic workday more manageable and less stressful.

It's also a good reminder that being timely doesn't mean racing against the clock but having a more efficient and relaxed approach. Thanks for sharing this simple yet impactful tip!

Creating buffer time is a great way to maintain sanity, especially when you have a packed schedule. It's an effective strategy to avoid feeling too rushed and gives some flexibility to accommodate unexpected events. That extra bit of time can make a hectic workday more manageable and less stressful.

It's also a good reminder that being timely doesn't mean racing against the clock but having a more efficient and relaxed approach. Thanks for sharing this simple yet impactful tip!
It's like a secret weapon to stay sane amidst the busyness of life! You're welcome - glad to share simple yet powerful time hacks everyone can benefit from.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Simple yet effective - that's an awesome way to describe some great time management techniques! Life can get crazy, and anything helping us manage our time better is super useful! Share your favourites so we can stay efficient!

Effective time management is a game-changer, and I'm all ears for some excellent techniques to streamline my days! I'll share a couple of my go-to methods that help keep my sanity intact:

1. The 80/20 Principle: This one's a game-changer. Focusing on the 20% of tasks responsible for 80% of your results is a powerful way to maximize productivity. Identify those high-impact tasks and prioritize them - an effective way to stay focused on what truly matters!

2. Pomodoro Technique: I love how this simple method helps with focus and productivity. Setting a timer for 25 minutes to hyper-focus on a single task, then taking a short break, keeps me on track. No multitasking, just deep work - and the breaks keep things fresh. Plus, who doesn't love the satisfaction of ticking off completed tasks?

3. Time Blocking: Assigning specific time slots for different tasks in my day ensures that key activities get dedicated time and attention. I block out periods for focused work, meetings, exercise, and even leisure activities. It's a visual way to balance your workload and respect your personal time.

4. The 5-Minute Rule: For quick tasks that can be done in five minutes or less, do them immediately! It's an efficient way to maintain momentum and cross things off your to-do list. Plus, it's surprising how many bigger tasks can be broken down this way and completed swiftly.

Effective time management is a game-changer, and I'm all ears for some excellent techniques to streamline my days! I'll share a couple of my go-to methods that help keep my sanity intact:

1. The 80/20 Principle: This one's a game-changer. Focusing on the 20% of tasks responsible for 80% of your results is a powerful way to maximize productivity. Identify those high-impact tasks and prioritize them - an effective way to stay focused on what truly matters!

2. Pomodoro Technique: I love how this simple method helps with focus and productivity. Setting a timer for 25 minutes to hyper-focus on a single task, then taking a short break, keeps me on track. No multitasking, just deep work - and the breaks keep things fresh. Plus, who doesn't love the satisfaction of ticking off completed tasks?

3. Time Blocking: Assigning specific time slots for different tasks in my day ensures that key activities get dedicated time and attention. I block out periods for focused work, meetings, exercise, and even leisure activities. It's a visual way to balance your workload and respect your personal time.

4. The 5-Minute Rule: For quick tasks that can be done in five minutes or less, do them immediately! It's an efficient way to maintain momentum and cross things off your to-do list. Plus, it's surprising how many bigger tasks can be broken down this way and completed swiftly.
Those are some awesome techniques you've shared! I particularly like the 80/20 principle - it's amazed me how focusing on that crucial 20% can have such a significant impact on my productivity.

I also love the idea of time blocking but find that I need to be very disciplined when assigning those blocks - especially when life gets busy and things often run over time.

Having some quick, go-to strategies like the 5-minute rule is a great way to tackle those pesky little tasks that can clutter your day and mind!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Those are some awesome techniques you've shared! I particularly like the 80/20 principle - it's amazed me how focusing on that crucial 20% can have such a significant impact on my productivity.

I also love the idea of time blocking but find that I need to be very disciplined when assigning those blocks - especially when life gets busy and things often run over time.

Having some quick, go-to strategies like the 5-minute rule is a great way to tackle those pesky little tasks that can clutter your day and mind!
It's amazing how we can create more time and less stress with these simple yet powerful techniques. Keeping it simple is the key to being able to remember and apply them when needed.

It's great to hear that you found some value in my recommended techniques. You're right about time blocking - it's definitely an art to master, especially when things tend to run over. But with practice, it becomes a helpful tool!

The key for me is to keep things simple and adaptable - some days, we just gotta go with the flow and adapt our plans! Having these strategies up our sleeves gives us some control over our time; it's a real confidence booster!

It's great to hear that you found some value in my recommended techniques. You're right about time blocking - it's definitely an art to master, especially when things tend to run over. But with practice, it becomes a helpful tool!

The key for me is to keep things simple and adaptable - some days, we just gotta go with the flow and adapt our plans! Having these strategies up our sleeves gives us some control over our time; it's a real confidence booster!
Yeah, confidence booster is right! Knowing you have some tricks up your sleeve to navigate those busy days is such a great feeling. And you're spot on about keeping things simple - that's the ultimate hack for remembering and actually implementing these strategies!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu