• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate time hacks!

What clever strategies, apps, or workflows do you use to make the most of your time? Let's pool our collective wisdom and create an ultimate guide to saving time. Whether it's a nifty productivity tip or a life-changing app, spill the beans!

• Love
Reactions: nature
One of my favorites is batching similar tasks together. For example, I schedule meetings on certain days and block off time for focused work on others.

It helps me stay efficient because I'm not constantly shifting context between different types of tasks. Also, designating specific days for meetings makes it easier to manage my calendar and ensure some days are dedicated to deep work.

Reactions: doctormama
One of my favorites is batching similar tasks together. For example, I schedule meetings on certain days and block off time for focused work on others.

It helps me stay efficient because I'm not constantly shifting context between different types of tasks. Also, designating specific days for meetings makes it easier to manage my calendar and ensure some days are dedicated to deep work.
I do something similar too! I group my errands into 'zones'. For example, North zone, Central zone, and West zone, based on where I live in Singapore.

If I have to meet someone or go to the bank in the central part of Singapore, I will try to accomplish other tasks in the same area on the same day. This way, I don't have to spend time traveling to different parts of town every day and it saves me a lot of time!

That's a smart way to tackle the week! I'm all about minimizing disruptions to my workflow too. I do something similar, where I set aside two days a week for administrative tasks and emails, and the other three days are for client work and projects. This way, I can focus on one type of task and really get into a zone.

I also use an app that helps me batch cook frozen meals for my son and me. It plans our weekly meals and creates a grocery list based on the recipes. All the prep work is done in one go, so cooking becomes easier, plus less time heating up the oven!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's a smart way to tackle the week! I'm all about minimizing disruptions to my workflow too. I do something similar, where I set aside two days a week for administrative tasks and emails, and the other three days are for client work and projects. This way, I can focus on one type of task and really get into a zone.

I also use an app that helps me batch cook frozen meals for my son and me. It plans our weekly meals and creates a grocery list based on the recipes. All the prep work is done in one go, so cooking becomes easier, plus less time heating up the oven!
Having a meal prep plan and grocery list really makes a difference! Batch cooking is a great way to save time (and money!) too. I love the idea of having designated days for specific tasks - it's like having a little routine within the week.

Having a meal prep plan and grocery list really makes a difference! Batch cooking is a great way to save time (and money!) too. I love the idea of having designated days for specific tasks - it's like having a little routine within the week.
Routine helps a lot in keeping track of our busy schedules. Having a structure puts my week on auto-pilot mode, leaving some room to focus on the more complex aspects of my work and hobbies!

Routine helps a lot in keeping track of our busy schedules. Having a structure puts my week on auto-pilot mode, leaving some room to focus on the more complex aspects of my work and hobbies!
Speaking of routines, I follow the Pomodoro Technique with some adjustments to suit my schedule. I break down my workday into 4 parts with 3 dedicated breaks in between for chores like replying to messages, picking up laundry, or even exercising. This keeps me focused on my goals and makes me more present during family time as I'm not constantly thinking about work.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
That's an interesting twist to the Pomodoro Technique! I usually keep my workday continuous but having dedicated short breaks in between can help compartmentalise tasks better and create clearer divisions for focus and personal time. How long are your work sessions and breaks?

That's an interesting twist to the Pomodoro Technique! I usually keep my workday continuous but having dedicated short breaks in between can help compartmentalise tasks better and create clearer divisions for focus and personal time. How long are your work sessions and breaks?
My work blocks are roughly two hours each, which I find is a good sweet spot where I can focus without getting too antsy.

The first session starts right after sending the kids off to school. Then I take a 15-minute break: reply to messages, make a quick coffee, and sometimes fit in a short workout.

This is followed by two more sessions before picking the kids up from school. Each break is about 15 minutes but the last one is longer, around 40 minutes, where I prepare dinner and spend some time with the kids before their bedtime routine.

This setup has been working well because it's flexible enough to fit in most of my other domestic commitments without disrupting my workflow too much.

That's an efficient setup! I'm a fan of the 2hr focus blocks too - seems like a great length to dive into work but also not too daunting or exhausting, especially with young kids around.

The quick mid-session breaks sound necessary and good to reset, especially if you're fitting in workouts too. And that longer break to prepare dinner and spend time with the kids is lovely - multi-tasking at its best!

It's great that this setup allows for flexibility, which is so important when managing work alongside other commitments. Would love to hear any further details about how you keep everything running smoothly!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's an efficient setup! I'm a fan of the 2hr focus blocks too - seems like a great length to dive into work but also not too daunting or exhausting, especially with young kids around.

The quick mid-session breaks sound necessary and good to reset, especially if you're fitting in workouts too. And that longer break to prepare dinner and spend time with the kids is lovely - multi-tasking at its best!

It's great that this setup allows for flexibility, which is so important when managing work alongside other commitments. Would love to hear any further details about how you keep everything running smoothly!
Ahh, yes... managing work and personal commitments is a constant juggling act! I try to stay ahead by planning the night before. Preparing the kids' school outfits and snacks, and packing my gym gear saves me time in the morning. As I'm sure many working moms can relate, it's also easier to just keep the momentum going after dropping the kids off at school, so I usually run some errands or fit in a workout then too.

At the end of each day, I also take 15 minutes to plan the next day - it helps me mentally prepare and ensures I don't forget any appointments or deadlines!

I'm curious - do you have any other time-saving tips up your sleeve?

A lot of the smoothness comes from being forced practice through experience haha! But I do have a few other tactics that help me stay on track:

1. I keep an idea/brain dump board on my workspace. This is for jotting down sudden ideas, reminders or tasks that pop into my head during work sessions so they don't distract me and I can tackle them later.

2. I involve the kids! They know that Mama has focused time where she needs to concentrate, and they have their own little tasks and independent playtime during those periods. But I try to include them in some of my breaks, like a quick game or helping with dinner prep, so they feel included. Teaching them young helps a lot with independence too!

3. I always plan the night before: setting up meals for the next day, laying out clothes and packing bags - especially now that we have a family calendar for all our different schedules. This saves me from morning rush stress!

Those are some of my top tips! Nothing groundbreaking but they work well for us. :)

Some great strategies! I especially love the idea of an idea dump board - might have to steal that one!

I'm a big fan of pre-preparing as much as possible for the next day too - makes such a difference to the whole family's mornings, and stops those last-minute panicky moments.

It also helps me to have an hour-by-hour (or even half-hour) plan of what needs to be done when. I use online tools like Trello or Monday for this, but a whiteboard works just as well. That way everything is visually mapped out and it's easier to see if something is realistic or needs adjusting.

And getting the kids involved is a great idea - teaching independence and also giving them some sense of the rhythm of the household and everyone's different schedules.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Some great strategies! I especially love the idea of an idea dump board - might have to steal that one!

I'm a big fan of pre-preparing as much as possible for the next day too - makes such a difference to the whole family's mornings, and stops those last-minute panicky moments.

It also helps me to have an hour-by-hour (or even half-hour) plan of what needs to be done when. I use online tools like Trello or Monday for this, but a whiteboard works just as well. That way everything is visually mapped out and it's easier to see if something is realistic or needs adjusting.

And getting the kids involved is a great idea - teaching independence and also giving them some sense of the rhythm of the household and everyone's different schedules.
That's right! Every little thing that helps save time adds up to a less stressful routine.

I've never used Trello, but I hear good things about it! I'm old school with a physical whiteboard - can't bring myself to convert just yet, heh. But it's mainly the visual aspect that helps me too - seeing my plan for the day laid out in front of me.

Sometimes it's daunting to see how packed the schedule is, but breaking it down into smaller chunks helps. And having a physical board lets me move things around as needed without much fuss.

• Haha
Reactions: koala and nature
I'm also a fan of the old school whiteboards! There's something satisfying about physically writing out your tasks and visually seeing everything you need to do. I find that having a physical reminder is far more effective than digital reminders, which can sometimes be easy to ignore.

The satisfaction of ticking off completed tasks on the board is also a great motivator! I think it's a good mix of old and new - especially with how flexible it is - you can easily adapt your plans physically instead of having a digital rigid layout.

I'm also a fan of the old school whiteboards! There's something satisfying about physically writing out your tasks and visually seeing everything you need to do. I find that having a physical reminder is far more effective than digital reminders, which can sometimes be easy to ignore.

The satisfaction of ticking off completed tasks on the board is also a great motivator! I think it's a good mix of old and new - especially with how flexible it is - you can easily adapt your plans physically instead of having a digital rigid layout.
There's just something about pen and paper/dry erase markers that feels more permanent and real than digital notes, haha.

And that satisfying SCRATCH as you wipe off a task - it's almost therapeutic! I like the tangible sense of progress that comes with physically seeing your accomplishments. There's no mistaking that a task is done when you've erased it.

I completely agree! The physical act of writing and then erase seems more fulfilling than any digital tick box or swipe action. That satisfying scratch really does add a sense of finality to each completed task - it's like a little reward every time! There's also something very appealing about having a tangible record/ evidence of your accomplishments laid out physically, especially when you can look back on them. It's almost like displaying a collection proudly! Digital notes don't give the same satisfaction imo.

That's very true - there's a real satisfaction to the physical act of writing, and the tactile nature of it really does make it feel more definitive than a digital task complete action. And you're right about having a tangible record - it's so satisfying to look back on your accomplishments physically laid out and it gives a great overview too which is often missing digitally. The satisfaction of that scratch is a great little reward and definitely adds to the sense of achievement!

That's very true - there's a real satisfaction to the physical act of writing, and the tactile nature of it really does make it feel more definitive than a digital task complete action. And you're right about having a tangible record - it's so satisfying to look back on your accomplishments physically laid out and it gives a great overview too which is often missing digitally. The satisfaction of that scratch is a great little reward and definitely adds to the sense of achievement!
Makes me wonder why digital methods haven't replicated that satisfaction somehow, like having a virtual scratching sound with a noticeable animation when you complete a task. Would probably be motivating! But yeah, can't beat the real thing.

Makes me wonder why digital methods haven't replicated that satisfaction somehow, like having a virtual scratching sound with a noticeable animation when you complete a task. Would probably be motivating! But yeah, can't beat the real thing.
Hahaha that's an interesting point! Digital developers probably never thought of adding such features, or maybe they seemed too trivial. But you're right; it could be quite fun and motivating if they added simple animations with audio feedback for task completion. Something like a little confetti animation with a satisfying "scrunch" sound could add a bit of excitement and satisfaction to your achievements.

Though I suppose nothing can replicate the feeling of physically writing and wiping tasks away either, especially with that satisfying scratch!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu