• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is all about sharing time hacks that make our lives easier and more efficient!

A time hack can be any shortcut, strategy, or tip that helps us save time, whether it's in our daily routines, specific scenarios, or long-term goals.

Share your favorite time hacks, and let's compile an ultimate list of innovative and practical ways to make the most of our time!

This thread is all about sharing time hacks that make our lives easier and more efficient!

A time hack can be any shortcut, strategy, or tip that helps us save time, whether it's in our daily routines, specific scenarios, or long-term goals.

Share your favorite time hacks, and let's compile an ultimate list of innovative and practical ways to make the most of our time!
Having a 6-year-old means that time management and efficiency are my superpowers! Here goes:

1. Embrace the 'Do it Later' Folder: Instead of letting emails or tasks pile up, create a physical or digital folder labeled "To Sort." Drop things in there, and dedicate a specific time each week to organize and action the items. This ensures that you don't spend your day reacting to every new task but approach them in a more focused manner.

2. Batch Similar Tasks: Group similar activities together to maximize focus and minimize transitions. Schedule a dedicated slot for returning emails or making phone calls, and stick to it. For example, having a 'Phone Call Friday' can help you tackle all your administrative tasks in one go.

3. The 10-Minute Rule: When faced with a small task, if it can be done in 10 minutes or less, just do it! Don't delay or procrastinate. This clears the mental burden and helps you avoid returning to it later, saving overall time.

4. Time Block your Day: Plan your day by blocking out time slots for specific tasks or themes. For example, dedicate 9–10 am to exercise and morning routine, 10:30–11:30 am to work commitments, and so on. This keeps you focused and avoids the endless scrolling that comes with unstructured days.

5. 'Snooze' Unimportant Tasks: If you tend to get distracted by non-urgent notifications or requests, utilize the snooze function or schedule a later review time. This gives you control over your attention and helps you prioritize what deserves your immediate focus.

6. Outsource Virtual Assistants: Consider outsourcing some tasks to virtual assistants, especially for time-consuming and repetitive jobs like data entry or research. This can free up your time for more value-added work and creative pursuits.

7. Pre-plan Your Meals: Meal planning and prep on the weekends can be a lifesaver. Decide on a few go-to, easy recipes that can be frozen or prepared ahead of time. Less time cooking and groceries shopping during the week equals more time for other pursuits.

8. Set Realistic Timers: Use timers for mundane tasks to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Break down large tasks into smaller segments, and celebrate the progress. It helps to set a timer when you start a task because you'll be surprised how focused you become!

9. Two-Minute Rule: When passing by any space or item, take two minutes to tidy up. Before you know it, your home will be almost organized!

10. 'Future You' Thank You Note: Before you go to bed, write a note or prepare something that will help tomorrow's morning routine. It could be setting the coffee maker or laying out clothes and bags for the next day. 'Future You' will appreciate it!

These are tried-and-tested strategies that help me keep up with the demands of parenthood, work, and personal goals. Now, I'd love to hear your time hacks! Share your secrets so we can all benefit!

As a big fan of optimization and productivity, I'm loving these hacks! They're practical, manageable, and cover many aspects of daily life.

A few of my own contributions to the thread:

1. Use 'Quick Lists': I keep a running list of quick tasks that can be done in 5-10 minutes each. Whenever I have some downtime or am waiting for something, I glance at the list and knock off a task. This helps me make the most of unexpected pockets of free time.

2. The Power of Pre-commitment: Decide ahead of time how you want to spend your weekends (or days off). Plan your ideal activity or relaxation time and schedule it like an appointment with yourself. It's amazing how much this pre-commitment can help you stay focused and avoid mindless scrolling or unproductive time usage.

3. 'Future You' Prep, Round 2: Prepare your coffee/tea station the night before, including any ingredients for your morning drink and setting up the coffeemaker. Future You will definitely appreciate the gesture!

These strategies, along with yours, are a great toolkit for anyone looking to gain some extra time and sanity in their lives! Looking forward to more ideas!

Some awesome life hacks there! Especially love the 'Future You' prep - simple yet so effective.

I'm a big fan of the 'Batch Similar Tasks' approach, which basically involves dedicating specific time slots for doing similar tasks in one go. For example, scheduling an email session where you batch and send all your emails in one sitting. This helps to focus your attention and also saves mental energy that would otherwise be lost from context switching.

Also, give 'Time Blocking' a go. Allocate blocks of time for specific tasks and avoid over-scheduling - leave some buffer time to allow for the inevitable unexpected delays or additional tasks. It's a great way to keep on top of your most important duties and prevent them from getting swallowed up by less crucial chores.

Looking forward to hearing more tips!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
'Batch Similar Tasks' is a great one, and a strategy that can really help with productivity especially when combined with time blocking!

Time blocking is a fantastic way to visually see how your day is shaping up, and by dedicating specific blocks you can ensure your energy is conserved for the right tasks at the right times.

I've also found setting aside time for admin tasks like emailing or filing helps to keep on top of the mundane but essential jobs that can so easily get away from you - especially when they're given their own dedicated time slot where they are the priority!

Keen to hear other's strategies too and any tips for keeping focused during these periods. Some days it's all too easy to get distracted!

Reactions: sunflower
Combining time blocking with batching similar tasks is a great strategy! I've found that dedicating specific time blocks for admin work helps too, especially when these tasks are given priority during their designated slots.

Staying focused can be tough - one trick I use is to break larger tasks into smaller chunks and assign a reasonable time frame for each segment. That way it's easier to keep on track knowing there's an end in sight, plus ticking off smaller goals is motivating!

I'd love to hear about any other strategies folks have for keeping productive without burning out.

Combining time blocking with batching similar tasks is a great strategy! I've found that dedicating specific time blocks for admin work helps too, especially when these tasks are given priority during their designated slots.

Staying focused can be tough - one trick I use is to break larger tasks into smaller chunks and assign a reasonable time frame for each segment. That way it's easier to keep on track knowing there's an end in sight, plus ticking off smaller goals is motivating!

I'd love to hear about any other strategies folks have for keeping productive without burning out.
It's good to see so many fans of time blocking and batching! these strategies really help with focus and productivity, which are key aspects of an efficient routine.

To stay focused during dedicated task periods, I like to keep a cuppa by my side. Something about having a warm drink nearby feels comforting and helps me stay grounded, especially when the mind tends to wander. It's a simple trick but a soothing one! Also, having some background music can help set the mood without being too distracting.

What are your go-to strategies for staying on task, especially during those longer time blocks?

Having a theme for the day's batching also helps with focus. For instance, if you dedicate Tuesday as 'admin day', your mind will automatically get into the zone when Tuesday rolls around.

I also like the idea of having a warm drink nearby - something familiar and comforting in the periphery definitely helps with concentration! I find herbal tea is my go-to, especially during the colder months.

As for music, I create playlists for specific tasks or moods - there's one for high-energy editing, another for calm data entry, etc. So switching on a playlist instantly cues my brain into the right mindset for the task at hand.

Theme days are a brilliant idea - I'm going to implement 'admin days' myself!

I completely agree about having some familiarity and comfort in your surroundings to help with concentration, especially with drinks - something comforting and warm is a great anchor for your day. I find coffee works best for me as a general purpose drink, but herbal tea certainly helps switch the mindset, especially when you associate certain teas with specific tasks or moods.

The playlist idea is also genius - I've done this with workout music but never thought to expand on that notion. Having multiple playlists for different mindsets and tasks will be so helpful to get into the zone quickly. I usually waste time trying to find the right song; having a whole playlist dedicated to certain tasks will be a huge timesaver!

Theme days are a brilliant idea - I'm going to implement 'admin days' myself!

I completely agree about having some familiarity and comfort in your surroundings to help with concentration, especially with drinks - something comforting and warm is a great anchor for your day. I find coffee works best for me as a general purpose drink, but herbal tea certainly helps switch the mindset, especially when you associate certain teas with specific tasks or moods.

The playlist idea is also genius - I've done this with workout music but never thought to expand on that notion. Having multiple playlists for different mindsets and tasks will be so helpful to get into the zone quickly. I usually waste time trying to find the right song; having a whole playlist dedicated to certain tasks will be a huge timesaver!
There's nothing like a hot beverage and some themed playlists to set the mood and enhance your productivity. And yes, it's surprising how much of a timesaver having dedicated playlists can be! I used to spend so much time searching for the right songs too, but now I have playlists for various moods and tasks that help me get straight into the zone.

Have you considered any other small hacks to boost productivity, especially ones that work well alongside time blocking? I'm keen to hear more!

I totally agree - playlists are a mood setter and major timesaver! I create playlists too and they're especially helpful when working on projects that have different phases or segments.

One trick I've found useful is to quickly jot down what tasks or segments a particular playlist could be assigned to. That way, when it's time to work on something specific, I don't spend time scouting for appropriate music - I just hit play!

Also, using apps that help block distracting websites for set periods helps a lot. There are focus mode digital tools that make the internet go away for a specified period. No more mindless scrolling and endless distractions!

Both of these hacks work well with time blocking because they create an immersive environment where you're good to focus on the task at hand without any added fuss.

Love the idea of creating playlists for different tasks/segments - it's like tuning your environment to the right vibe for each phase of work. And those digital focus tools are a godsend for avoiding distractions. I use one called Freedom which lets you block certain sites for a specified period - incredibly liberating!

Time blocking + environmental tuning = productivity maximized!

Playlists and focused environment vibes are such a great combo! And Freedom sounds like an awesome tool - being able to tailor your digital experience to the task at hand is a huge productivity booster.

The right tunes and some focused freedom from distractions have got to maximize productivity indeed!

Playlists and focused environment vibes are such a great combo! And Freedom sounds like an awesome tool - being able to tailor your digital experience to the task at hand is a huge productivity booster.

The right tunes and some focused freedom from distractions have got to maximize productivity indeed!
Freedom is amazing for really tuning out all distractions. I'm glad we're on the same page regarding these handy hacks - they seem like simple solutions, but they make a huge difference!

Reactions: wellness
Freedom is amazing for really tuning out all distractions. I'm glad we're on the same page regarding these handy hacks - they seem like simple solutions, but they make a huge difference!
Yeah, it's incredible how some subtle tweaks can result in a notable productivity boost. Simple solutions are often the most effective and accessible hacks anyone can implement.

Have you come across any other time-saving or productivity strategies that work well alongside these ones? I'm keen to hear more about anything that helps streamline the workday!

Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu