• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The title is simply, "Motherhood's Self-Care Conundrum

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The demands of motherhood often leave us exhausted and stretched thin - physically, mentally and emotionally. How do we navigate self-care amidst these challenges without guilt? What do self-care practices look like for mothers without sacrificing the needs of children or ourselves? Let's delve into this complex topic and share our experiences and strategies for caring for ourselves as mothers.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
As a mother, finding time for self-care is an everyday challenge. The guilt of setting aside time for yourself can be overwhelming, but so is the realization that you can't show up as your best self without a little 'me time'.

For me, taking walks or hitting the gym works wonders for my mental health, and I feel like a new person after some physical activity. But it has to be consistent to make a real difference, which is difficult when you're pulling all the mom stops on the daily.

I also find that quick mindfulness checks help - deep breathing exercises throughout the day keep the mum-zingers at bay. And if I'm feeling especially frazzled, taking a few minutes in the bathroom for a face mask or a long, hot shower can be an instant mood booster and reset button.

The key for me is to remember that these little self-care moments actually help me be a better mother - patient, present, and playful - instead of seeing them as selfish or unnecessary indulgences. Any other mamas have some quick and effective self-care strategies they've found helpful?

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Absolutely! I completely relate to the challenge and the guilt, but also the necessity of finding time for self-care as a mum.

One thing I do is keep an 'essentials' kit in my bathroom packed with quick treats - face masks, hair masks, nail polish, a book, lip balms etc. So when I have those rare stolen moments, they're already there waiting and feel like mini indulgences! I also keep a pair of comfy sneakers and workout gear in the trunk of my car so that if I get an unexpected free hour or can sneak out while Dad's on toddler duty, I can quickly hit the park for some exercise.

I also find that planning ahead for me-time helps - knowing that I've got some weekly activity lined up, whether it's a walk with a friend or a yoga class, gives me something to look forward to and stay motivated for.

And like you said, little mindfulness moments throughout the day are such a help too - even just closing your eyes and taking 3 deep breaths can make a difference!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Great ideas! I especially love the essentials kit - it's like having a little sanctuary waiting for you, and the sneaky workout gear in the car is a fun, spontaneous way to make the most of those unexpected opportunities.

Planning ahead for me-time is so wise, it's amazing how much difference a little something to look forward each week can make. And yes, those tiny moments of mindfulness can help reset and recentre us amidst the chaos - it's amazing what a few deep breaths can do!

What other little strategies do you all have for fitting self-care into motherhood?

Some great suggestions already! I'd add scheduling some things that make you feel glamorous - like having your hair or nails done, especially if it's something you rarely make time for these days.

Also, creating a 'me-and-kids' activity that's still relaxing for mum can be fun. Taking the kids to the park and sitting on a bench with a good book while they play nearby can give you some alone time amidst the chaos, and it's a nice change of scenery.

I also like the idea of a 'mummy survival kit' - an actual physical box or bag with a few treats/essentials that makes you feel good kept somewhere easy to grab when you need 5 mins to calm down or reset. Could include some chocolates, relaxing tea/coffee, soothing bath salts or lotion, and your favourite nail polish for a quick at-home manicure! Anything that brings a little indulgence is a winner.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
These are such wonderful suggestions! I especially love the idea of a mummy survival kit - it's so important to have some indulgences and treats tucked away for those challenging moments! Having a physical box with relaxing essentials could also serve as a great visual reminder to take some time for yourself when you're feeling frazzled. The park and book scenario is also a wonderful way to still spend quality time with the kids while getting some alone time - multitasking at its finest!

I'm so glad you enjoyed these ideas! I think having some treats and indulgences especially for mums can really help us remember to take some much-needed time for self-care, which is so crucial. And yes, the park scenario is a fun way to still have that special bonding time with the kids but also get our 'alone time' - sometimes multaskind really is the only way to go!

So true! Multitasking and creating those little opportunities for self-care can really help us remember our own needs without neglecting our kids' bonding needs too--a tricky but rewarding balancing act! :)

It's definitely a juggling act, and creating those little pockets of self-care within our busy motherhood journeys is an art! It's wonderful to see you acknowledge the importance of balancing your own needs with those of your children; it's a reminder we all need sometimes. Self-care allows us to recharge and show up as the best versions of ourselves for our little ones. Keep creating those special moments, and here's to thriving in this beautiful yet challenging role of motherhood!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Motherhood presents us with a conundrum when it comes to self-care - it is a balancing act, a delicate and beautiful dance where we navigate our own needs alongside those of our children. It's an art, as you so aptly put it, to create those pockets of self-care within our bustling motherly routines.

The recognition of this juggling act is half the battle won - by acknowledging the importance of self-care, we're already on the path towards recharging and showing up as the best versions of ourselves. Let's keep striving to create these precious moments of care and attention amidst the demands of motherhood. Here's to us rising above the challenge and enjoying this incredible journey!

Well said! We're halfway there by acknowledging the self-care conundrum that motherhood often presents. It's a constant evolution, this journey of motherhood, and reminding ourselves to prioritize our needs alongside those of our little ones is a continuous reminder to stay mindful. Here's to embracing the beauty within the challenge and enjoying the ride - cheers!

Reactions: koala
Motherhood presents us with an ever-evolving landscape where finding balance can feel like walking a tightrope. Acknowledging the need for self-care is a great first step, because it's easy to forget amidst the demands of nurturing little ones. The challenge lies in embracing the mindset that our needs matter too, and finding those moments to recharge brings a renewed sense of purpose - not guilt! Here's to us mamas navigating this journey mindfully and enjoying the ride!

Reactions: bananarama
Well said! It really is a mindset - believing that we are worthy of that care and making it a priority, even when circumstances seem to pull us in a million directions. Finding that sense of balance and purpose amidst the chaos is a journey, and one that's worth navigating mindfully! It's encouraging to hear other mums recognise this challenge - here's to us rising together! 😊🥰

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu