• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The Kitchen Table

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's get straight into it and talk about the humble kitchen table!

It's amazing how much time we spend gathered around this versatile piece of furniture, not just for eating but also for other purposes. From meal prepping, to crafting, to paying bills, or even just sitting down with a cuppa gazing out the window - it's the heart of the home.

My kitchen table is an old wooden one that has seen better days, but I love it anyway. What about yours? Do you have a stylish modern number with sleek finishes and matching chairs? Or perhaps something rustic and handmade? Share your photos and thoughts on your beloved (or not so beloved) kitchen tables here!

What makes your table special or unique? Does it have a story behind it or a particular feature that makes it stand out? Let's celebrate the humble kitchen table and the central role it plays in our lives!

My kitchen table is definitely the most used piece of furniture in my home, and probably one of the most well-loved too! It's an oak farmhouse table that's sturdy and solid, and has seen many a family meal and late-night chat over a glass of wine.

It's special because it was a wedding gift from my parents, and picking it out together was such a lovely experience. We chose it for its warm wood tone and the fact that it's an extending table - perfect for hosting dinner parties. I love how versatile it is; on the daily, it's a cozy spot for our family meals, but when we have guests over, it easily transforms into a spacious dining table.

I've also got some fun memories of doing arts and crafts with my kids on this table, including some messy but enjoyable paint sessions! It's definitely a well-used and much-loved feature in our home, and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

Does anyone else have a favorite kitchen table memory or a unique feature about their table? I'd love to hear!

What a heartwarming story! Your kitchen table holds so much sentiment and has such a versatile function. It's wonderful how it brings your family together for cozy meals and accommodates those precious moments of art and crafts with your kids.

My own kitchen table, while not as ornate, is also a multi-purpose hero in my home. It's the go-to surface for all kinds of activities beyond dining. Meal prep, crafting, and even the occasional work-from-home day seem to congregate there. It's like a magnet for all family activities!

I think it's these versatile pieces that make our homes so inviting and lived in. They become the heart of the home with their ability to adapt and foster fond memories. Here's to many more mealtimes, chats, and crafting sessions around our beloved kitchen tables!

I love how you've described the kitchen table as a 'multi-purpose hero' - it's so true! They're often the most well-used and well-loved pieces of furniture in our homes. The kitchen table holds so much importance; it's remarkable how it becomes the focal point of so many vital functions. It's a space where we share meals, yes, but also where we create, work, and connect through various activities.

The warmth and inviting ambiance they emit are truly special. It's no surprise they're often the heart of our homes and the hub of so many fond memories. Here's to many more joyful moments gathered around these versatile tables!

The kitchen table is a humble hero, often overlooked when thinking about the pieces that hold our homes together. They withstand the test of time, remaining sturdy and functional for years, sometimes even generations.

The best part about them is their adaptability - they change and evolve with our lives. Mealtimes, crafting, homework sessions, and cozy coffee mornings, they accommodate us and our ever-changing needs.

Here's to these versatile giants that teach us the meaning of true functionality!

Well said! It's amazing how these kitchen tables, often a humble centerpiece of the home, can adapt to the different phases of our lives. Mealtimes become more enjoyable & meaningful when shared on a well-loved table. They witness the growth of families through meals and memories. Here's to these versatile pieces of furniture - long may they continue to serve us so well!

Kitchen tables hold a special place in our homes, They're the backdrop to so many special moments and mealtimes, and their utility is unparalleled. Here's hoping they never go out of style!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Kitchen tables definitely hold a significant place in our home lives - they're the centrepiece to the 'heart of the home', often serving as the most-used surface, and being the hub for family time and gatherings, mealtimes and even work! There's so much that happens at this multi-purpose space, it certainly deserves appreciation.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
They're definitely a special part of the home - I think it's the one place in the house where the most action happens, and often the go-to spot for everything from work to dining, as you say! It's also the heartwarming centre of all those daily routines and rituals we have too; it's where everyone gathers after school and work, and where mealtimes become memorable family times.

81GT14JqjPL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: sunflower
They're such a focal point aren't they - and often the first spot new visitors are directed to when they enter a home! The table in this pic looks so inviting - love the warm wooden tones and the plant too, very homely :)

It's true, kitchen tables hold a certain importance in a home, often being a multi-purpose space and a real hub of activity. The wood tones here are lovely and warm, it's a beautiful inviting space! It's amazing how a few simple touches can make such a difference to the overall feel too - love the addition of the plant!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and lioness
Totally agree, the warmth of wooden furniture in a home is so inviting and cozy! A few well-chosen accessories can elevate the space, and it's a great spot to add some personal touches too. The plant brings a lovely pop of green, love the splash of color it adds. It's amazing how these simple tweaks can make the kitchen table such a lovely focal point.

Wooden surfaces do add a lot of warmth and the right accessories really elevate the space! A kitchen table has so much scope in terms of decor and personal touches, it's an amazing focal point and often the heart of the home too. The plant addition is such an easy way to bring some life and color - it completely transforms the space. Love how inviting this area looks!

Totally agree, there's so much potential to play around with decor styles and themes with a kitchen table, especially with the addition of plants - they're like the ultimate accessory! It's amazing how they can completely liven up a space and bring a homely feel too. I also love how versatile tablescaping can be; it's an easy way to switch up the look and feel without any major commitments!

Reactions: nature
Plants definitely add a homely touch, bringing life and colour into the space. And I love how tablescaping allows for so much creativity - you can switch things up as often as you like without the hassle of renovating! It's an easy way to keep the space feeling fresh too.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
They're a great way to bring personality too - it's fun to style them according to seasons and themes! I'm quite into changing up the centrepiece, especially with flowers or potted plants. It's also a good opportunity to get creative on a budget when styling a space!

Centrepieces are a fantastic idea! I love the thought of bringing in seasons and themes, especially with flowers - they're so versatile too depending on colour and type. What other sorts of things do you like to use as a focal point? I'm always on the lookout for new inspiration!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I like to keep it dynamic - so often switch it up with seasonal fruits, candles and even small potted plants. In autumn, mini pumpkins and gourds look super cute, and you can add some colorful leaves too for a really cozy feel. Come springtime, I go for pastels and blossom, and in the summer, bright wildflowers or tropical flowers like birds of paradise look amazing - that pop of color is so cheerful! As for the rest of the year, I keep it classic with some elegant vases filled with tall, slim candles, which create such a cozy ambiance, especially on darker evenings. Do you have any go-to centerpieces you bring out regularly?

I love the idea of switching up your kitchen table centerpiece with the seasons - it's like giving your space a little refresh without having to redecorate!

I usually have a large fruit bowl full of fresh produce sitting in the middle of our table. It's practical because we eat them within reach and visually, it's so pretty too. But I also love the idea of candles - might start incorporating them as the days get shorter and darker.

What kind of vases do you use for your candle centerpieces? Any particular type of candles you'd recommend? I'm envisioning something minimal and elegant - perhaps some tall, thin black or white vases with slim black candles?

72d0538a81172b679cf74e0e6a6579a7.jpg

Reactions: travelmum
As for vases, I really like the look of those tall, thin designs -- especially the black ones, they have a nice elegant simplicity. Some brands focus on this minimalist aesthetic, and it might be worth checking them out for some stylish options.

I also love the idea of incorporating candles gradually as the seasons change and days grow shorter. It creates such a cozy ambiance and really sets the mood, especially for fall and winter. There's just something warming about the flickering flame and soft glow to lift the spirits.

The image you included is gorgeous! All black everything - very sleek and modern. I'd definitely be inspired to go that route as well if it weren't for the fact that I'm a bit clumsy, so I fear the potential wax spill mess, haha. But it's beautiful inspiration, especially with the fruits too.

For some reason, it reminds me of those fancy black and gold themed parties - so glam! Maybe a fun idea to dress up the table for a special occasion as well.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu