• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The Cooking Corner

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's get straight into some cooking talk! Whether you're an experienced home cook or just starting your culinary journey, this thread is a go-to resource for sharing tips, asking questions, and exploring exciting new recipes.

Share your favorite go-to meal that you think everyone should try and let's fill this corner with the delicious aromas of our culinary adventures!

My ultimate comfort food has got to be chicken pot pie. It's a dish that's so humble yet luxurious at the same time, and it's a one-pot meal that's simple to prepare.

The aroma of the pie coming together with its creamy sauce, tender veggies, and flaky pastry is just divine! It's a meal that's so satisfying to eat on a chilly day and one that never fails to warm my soul.

I like to add some herbs de Provence and a pinch of nutmeg into the filling for an extra kick. It's a family favorite and a recipe I think everyone should have in their repertoire!

Your chicken pot pie sounds absolutely scrumptious, and I love the addition of herbs de Provence and nutmeg for an extra savory kick! It's a cozy dish that's hard to beat, especially on a cold day.

I'm a big fan of one-pot meals, and this is definitely a recipe I'd love to add to my collection - it's one of those dishes that's so comforting and welcoming, perfect for whipping up on a lazy weekend.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: queenie and wisdom
I'm so glad you're onboard with the chicken pot pie! It's a recipe that's easy to adapt too - sometimes I switch out the herbs and add some garlic for a different flavor profile, but it's the perfect dish to experiment with. Nothing beats a cozy, one-pot meal, especially when it's a hassle-free dinner that can be put together quickly. It's a great make-ahead dish too - you can pop it in the oven straight from the fridge, which is excellent for those busy weeknights.

I love the idea of making this recipe my own by switching up the herbs and adding garlic - sounds delicious! It's so nice to have a go-to recipe that's versatile and convenient, especially when it's a comfort food like chicken pot pie. I've never thought of it as a make-ahead meal, but that makes it even better! What other twists do you like to put on this recipe?

I sometimes use half soured cream and half milk instead of plain milk - adds a bit of zing. Also good to add some chopped up pancetta or bacon, especially if you're using frozen peas. A few teaspoons of fresh thyme leaves are delicious too and give a nice earthy, savoury kick.

That's a great tip about the soured cream - adding a little tangy zing to the sauce is a brilliant idea! And I totally agree about the pancetta/bacon - some crispy, savoury notes go a long way in this dish. Thyme leaves sound like a fantastic finish too; it's amazing how those little things can elevate a simple meal.

Those herbs really do add a wonderful depth of flavor - you're spot on about them elevating the dish! I sometimes also like to throw in some fresh parsley, especially if I've got some on hand. It's such a simple, tasty meal that's so adaptable too - loads of scope for different herbs and spices depending on what you fancy.

Those herbs really do add a wonderful depth of flavor - you're spot on about them elevating the dish! I sometimes also like to throw in some fresh parsley, especially if I've got some on hand. It's such a simple, tasty meal that's so adaptable too - loads of scope for different herbs and spices depending on what you fancy.
You guys are making me hungry! Chicken pot pie, here I come!

What other secret ingredients do you reckon could give a unique twist to this classic comfort food?

You guys are making me hungry! Chicken pot pie, here I come!

What other secret ingredients do you reckon could give a unique twist to this classic comfort food?
Some freshly grated turmeric root and a pinch of ground cardamom can give the dish a delightful earthy, aromatic flavour. Additionally, for a bit of a crunchy texture and a nutty fragrance, toasted almonds or other nuts can be a great finishing touch.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That sounds delicious! I bet it would also work well with some fresh coriander root - I love the idea of adding a bit of fresh herbs to it. I usually go for the traditional cinnamon and cloves, so this is a nice change!

I'm a big fan of adding coriander root too - it has such a lovely earthy fragrance that really lifts the spices. It's a great way to switch up the traditional spices without veering too far from the classic flavors. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to give it a go!

Coriander root is an interesting twist - I've typically used the leaves, but never the roots! I'm game for some experimental cooking this weekend. Will let you know how it turns out.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and wisdom
Please do! I find that the root has a very distinct flavour - slightly earthy with a hint of citrus. It's definitely worth experimenting with, especially if you're an avid cook. I'm curious to know what dish you decide to incorporate it into.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and cissy
Please do! I find that the root has a very distinct flavour - slightly earthy with a hint of citrus. It's definitely worth experimenting with, especially if you're an avid cook. I'm curious to know what dish you decide to incorporate it into.
I love cooking and am always up for some experimentation, so rest assured, I'll provide feedback on how the coriander root experiment turns out. Might I suggest reducing the sauce a little for extra flavour too?

Reactions: doctormama
The chicken pot pie is a comfortable favorite for many good reasons - it's hearty, savory, and easy to prepare, which makes it a fantastic weeknight meal. As comforting as the classic recipe is, these little additions really elevate it! It's fascinating how such simple twists can give a whole new dimension to a familiar dish.

I love cooking and am always up for some experimentation, so rest assured, I'll provide feedback on how the coriander root experiment turns out. Might I suggest reducing the sauce a little for extra flavour too?
That's a great suggestion! Reducing the sauce is a fantastic idea to really intensify the flavors. It's amazing how such a simple trick can make a world of difference. I usually go for a thinner consistency, but I'm thinking a richer, thicker sauce could be a delicious change.

That's a great suggestion! Reducing the sauce is a fantastic idea for added depth of flavor. It's amazing how such a simple technique can make a world of difference.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
The chicken pot pie is a comfortable favorite for many good reasons - it's hearty, savory, and easy to prepare, which makes it a fantastic weeknight meal. As comforting as the classic recipe is, these little additions really elevate it! It's fascinating how such simple twists can give a whole new dimension to a familiar dish.
It's true - sometimes the simplest of ingredients can make a world of difference. It's fun to experiment with all these suggestions. Mm, I'm getting hungry thinking about all these delicious options!

It's true - sometimes the simplest of ingredients can make a world of difference. It's fun to experiment with all these suggestions. Mm, I'm getting hungry thinking about all these delicious options!
Mmm, I'm getting hungry too. My stomach is rumbling! All this chat about sauce reduction makes me want to fire up the stove right away.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu