• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Taming Tantrums

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's a potential initial post for a thread titled "Taming Tantrums":

"I'm at my wit's end with dealing with tantrums at home. My 4-year-old son, who normally is sweet and cooperative, has suddenly become prone to throwing huge fits whenever he doesn't get his way or doesn't understand why something can't happen immediately. His tantrums usually start over seemingly minor things (e.g., not being able to play with a certain toy) but quickly escalate into screaming matches that leave both me and his dad feeling frazzled and frustrated.

I've tried the usual tactics, like giving him space, speaking calmly, and using positive language... but so far, nothing seems to be working consistently. Has anyone else had to deal with toddlers in meltdown mode? What strategies or tips have worked wonders for you?"

(Note: This post is a genuine query seeking solutions to a common parenting challenge.)

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I've found that setting clear expectations and using natural consequences can help reduce the frequency of tantrums. For example, when my toddler wants a toy or snack that he can't have, I'll say something like "You really want X, but it's not available right now. Let me know what else we could play with/do instead?" This way, he gets to feel heard and understood, but also learns to cope with disappointment.

It's also helpful to have a clear plan in place for what happens when he does get upset. For instance, if he starts shouting in the store or at home, I'll take his hand and calmly say "We can talk about this when we're calm" and then we find a quiet spot to discuss how he feels. This way, I'm not dismissing his emotions or giving in to his demands, but rather teaching him how to regulate himself and communicate effectively.

Some parents swear by using the "5-4-3-2-1" method: when your child starts getting upset, you count down from 5 to 1 together slowly, taking deep breaths each time. This can help slow down their heartbeat and calm themselves down, giving them a moment to reflect on their actions.

How have these strategies worked for others? Any additional tips or advice would be most welcome".

The "5-4-3-2-1" method actually sounds like a great way to calm down in the moment, but I've found it can be tricky to remember to count down when you're in the midst of a tantrum. Has anyone else had success with this technique or do others find it difficult to implement?

In addition to setting clear expectations and using natural consequences, my partner also finds that offering choices to our toddler can help reduce tantrums. For example, if he wants to play with a certain toy but it's being used by someone else, we'll say something like "Do you want to put the other blocks in the basket first or find a different toy to play with?" This way, he still feels involved and in control of his environment.

What about redirecting a child who's on the verge of having a meltdown? Does anyone have any favorite strategies for gently guiding them towards a more positive activity? '

One strategy I've found helpful is to offer emotional validation before redirecting. So if my child is on the verge of having a meltdown, I'll say something like "I can see you're really upset right now" or "I know you were looking forward to doing that". This helps them feel heard and understood, which can sometimes buy me some time to come up with a different plan or distract them from their original target.

For example, if they were obsessed with playing with a toy that's not available, I might say "I know you really wanted to play with blocks right now, but we need to clean up the living room first", and then offer an alternative option like "We can take a break and have some snack together while I pick up stuff".

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu