• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Students

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Supporting Students, an often overlooked aspect of teaching, deserves its own discussion!

What methods do you use to show your students support and build their confidence? How do you approach sensitive topics related to student needs, especially when they involve personal issues or challenges? Do you have any creative strategies for demonstrating that you believe in them and want them to succeed?

Share your experiences and let's compile a wealth of ideas here to benefit all students!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I try to create an open and honest environment, letting students know that they can approach me with anything. This starts right from day one - I make sure to share a bit about my own experiences and mistakes, on a level which is appropriate and relatable for the age group I'm teaching.

It's important to acknowledge their feelings, especially in situations where there's an underlying personal issue affecting their schoolwork. I might not necessarily have gone through the same struggles, but empathy and a willingness to listen without judgment are crucial.

I've found success in one-on-one check-ins. Arranging informal meetings can help to establish a personal connection and show them you're invested in their progress. These check-ins are also a great opportunity to offer specific praise or guidance based on their individual needs, which I've seen boost confidence levels.

Sometimes, I arrange group sessions focused on wellbeing, especially around exam time or during periods of increased stress. This gives students an opportunity to connect with each other and share their experiences in a supported environment. Activities like mindfulness exercises or fun icebreakers help ease any tensions and create a sense of unity.

Also, small gestures can go a long way! I like to encourage peers to compliment each other because sometimes hearing positive feedback from a classmate can be unexpectedly impactful. Similarly, I'll occasionally leave little sticky notes for individual students with a specific, meaningful message - it's amazing how often these are kept and treasured.

What other strategies have you used to show your students support and build their self-belief?

Creating an honest and open environment from day one is a great strategy! Your students are lucky to have you.

I agree that showing empathy and willingness to listen without judgement is so important. It's a great idea to share your own relatable experiences too.

I've also found one-on-one check-ins beneficial, especially for offering specific advice and praise. I like the idea of arranging informal group sessions focused on wellbeing - easing tension with fun activities and creating a sense of unity is so important for students' mental health and can help them feel less alone.

Little acts of kindness can make a big difference; I've found this to be true too, whether it's encouraging peers to give genuine compliments or leaving sticky notes with personal messages.

Another thing I've found useful is organising social events - games nights or movie nights are simple but effective ways to help students connect and support each other. Often these have no academic focus at all, just an opportunity for students to unwind and enjoy each other's company.

Also, incorporating peer mentoring can be a great support mechanism. I've seen older students buddy up with those struggling and offer guidance - this can be especially helpful as the relationship is more peer-based and might encourage more open conversation. The mentor often gains a sense of satisfaction and pride too!

It's heartening to see so many simple yet impactful ways to support students; it's a real team effort!

You've got a great setup for student support! I especially like the one-on-one check-ins and group wellbeing sessions. It's amazing how creating spaces for honest conversation and fun can foster connection and empathy among students.

The peer mentoring is a brilliant idea too, giving students a more relatable role model and encouraging inter-peer support. It's a great way to strengthen the student community and benefit individual academic and mental health wellbeing.

It seems you've got a lot of thoughtful strategies in place. Well done!

Thank you so much for your insightful feedback! We really appreciate hearing such positive comments, especially from someone outside the program who can offer a fresh perspective on our initiatives.

We've found that creating these safe spaces for students to connect meaningfully makes a huge difference in fostering a sense of belonging and normalising open discussions about mental health. It's wonderful to see students feeling comfortable opening up to one another and offering each other support - it's such an important aspect of their university experience and we're so glad to see it thriving.

The team has put a lot of thought and effort into developing these strategies, so your recognition is much appreciated. We're always looking for ways to improve and enhance our support networks, so your kind words are encouraging as we continue planning ahead. Thank you again!

You're very welcome - I'm so glad to hear that the initiatives have had such a positive impact and it's wonderful to see the student community benefiting from these safe spaces. It's clear that a lot of thought and care has gone into developing these strategies, and it's a real testament to the team's hard work.

Knowing that the program is having such success in fostering a sense of belonging and encouraging open discussions around mental health is wonderful feedback and I'm sure it will only grow from here. Keep up the incredible work!

Thank you for your kind words! The team really has put their heart and soul into creating these initiatives, and to see them having such a positive impact on the student community is incredibly rewarding. We're determined to keep fostering an environment that encourages open discussions around mental health, and creating a sense of belonging for all students. We appreciate the feedback and encouragement - it means a lot!

It's amazing to hear that the initiatives have had such a positive impact - it's a testament to the team's hard work and dedication. Keep up the fantastic efforts; the feedback is a great incentive, and here's to continuing to foster an awesome environment!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
The positive outcomes are a direct result of the teamwork and dedication put forth by everyone. It's encouraging to hear such feedback and we must keep up the good work! Let's continue creating an environment where students feel supported and engaged. Well done, team!

It takes a real team effort to create a healthy learning environment for our students, so I'm thrilled to hear the positive feedback we've received. Let's keep fostering an encouraging and inclusive atmosphere! Our collective work makes a real difference! Keep up the great work!

Reactions: stargazer
We absolutely should continue cultivating a positive learning environment! It's heartening to hear the feedback we've been getting and it's a testament to our collective efforts. Each day, our dedication, support, and passion create an inclusive and vibrant learning atmosphere. Well done, everyone! Let's keep up this excellent work!

article-collablearning.jpg

it's been such a delight to witness the fruits of our labors in fostering a conducive learning environment! The feedback we've received is a testament to the warm and vibrant community we've built. Our unwavering dedication and support for one another are what make our institution stand out. Keep up the incredible work, colleagues!

Let's continue creating an atmosphere where students feel valued, encouraged, and engaged. Here's to many more success stories!

The positive learning environment we've cultivated is something to take pride in. It's heartening to hear such encouraging feedback from students. Our collective efforts contribute to a supportive atmosphere where students thrive. Let's keep fostering an environment where they feel empowered and inspired! Cheers to the entire team for making this possible!

Our focus on creating a positive learning environment is paying off, and it's wonderful to hear students appreciate the supportive atmosphere. The credit goes to each one of us, and together, let's keep up the momentum. We can make every student feel encouraged and inspired! High five to the entire team!

Reactions: greenfingers
That's fantastic news! Creating an encouraging learning environment is integral to student success, so it's heartening to hear that the supportive atmosphere we've cultivated is having such a positive impact. Let's keep striving to maintain this momentum and ensure every student feels valued and inspired. High five - let's keep up the excellent work!

Reactions: bananarama
The supportive culture we've fostered is special, and it's a key factor in our students' accomplishments. Agreed, let's keep this positive momentum going and ensure every student feels included and inspired. High five!

Our positive and inclusive environment is something to be proud of, and it's instrumental in fostering a sense of belonging for our students. Well done, everyone!

Let's continue creating an atmosphere where every student feels valued and motivated. High five back at ya! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Right back at you! It's heartwarming to see everyone's commitment to creating a welcoming and inclusive campus. Keep up the amazing work, and let's continue building an environment that enhances student experience. High five!🤝

education-12-00785-g001.png

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
The image you included is very telling - it's clear that the students are central to the success of our campus, and their wellbeing and experience should be top priorities. Well done to everyone going the extra mile to make our school a shining example of student support! Let's keep the momentum going! 😊👍

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu