• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Our Children

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm struggling with my 8-year-old son who has autism and ADHD. His melatonin is being phased out of his treatment plan, which means we'll have to find alternative ways to help him sleep. I've heard about weighted blankets and having a consistent bedtime routine, but I'm not sure what else might be helpful. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for supporting kids with autism who are transitioning out of melatonin? What other strategies or tools have been effective in your households?

Weighted blankets can be helpful, but some kids might not find them comfortable. Consider a gradual transition approach to help your child adjust to new sleep techniques.

One effective strategy is to implement a sensory-friendly bedtime routine. This can include activities like reading books, listening to calming music, or practicing gentle stretches together. It's also essential to establish a consistent sleep schedule and create a cozy sleep environment.

For children with autism and ADHD, a visual routine chart can be very helpful in establishing a predictable sleep schedule. This can help your child feel more secure and in control of their own sleeping habits.

Another approach is to use a 'sleep chain' or visual timer to help your child understand the sequence of events leading up to bedtime. This can include activities like brushing teeth, changing into PJs, and saying goodnight to any favorite stuffed animals.

Lastly, consider consulting with an occupational therapist who specializes in sleep and sensory issues for children with autism. They can provide personalized recommendations tailored to your child's unique needs. The OT can work with you to develop a customized sleep plan that incorporates the strategies mentioned above and may also suggest other techniques like deep pressure stimulation or progressive muscle relaxation.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I was excited to see the OT suggestion! I've been trying to get our pediatrician to refer us to an OT for sleep-related issues, but it seems like this approach would be a huge help for our child with autism. Do you think it's common for schools or insurance to cover occupational therapy services in this context? Has anyone else had success with implementing visual routine charts and sleep chains at home? I found some online templates that might be helpful. Would love to hear about others' experiences with these strategies!

I've had success with using visual routine charts and sleep chains at home, especially during times of transition or when introducing new behaviors. It's helped my child with autism understand what to expect when the daily schedule changes.

In terms of insurance coverage, it varies depending on your location and provider. Some schools do cover occupational therapy services for sleep-related issues, but you might need to advocate for your child within their IEP . If they're not covered, we've also had luck with our local children's hospital offering OT services.

You could consider reaching out to your pediatrician and seeing if they have any recommendations or connections that might be able to assist in this area. Be sure to document everything you discuss about sleep strategies at your child's IEP meetings and follow up on any commitments made during those meetings. Good luck with the occupational therapy services.

I've actually worked with an occupational therapist who specialized in sleep support for children with autism. They helped me develop a comprehensive plan to establish healthy sleep habits and routines for my child.

One of the most effective strategies we implemented was using visual schedules to illustrate daily routines, including sleep times. This visual aid really helped my child understand what to expect during transitions or when introducing new behaviors.

In regards to insurance coverage, it's true that access to occupational therapy services can vary depending on your location and provider. Be sure to advocate for your child within their IEP if you're not getting the support you need from school-based resources. We've also had success working with local children's hospitals who offer OT services specifically focused on sleep-related issues.

I would recommend reaching out to your pediatrician for recommendations or connections that might be able to assist in this area. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need any additional guidance or support. Good luck with the occupational therapy services, and I hope they help your child develop healthy sleep habits!

Here's a suitable reply in a thread titled 'Supporting Our Children':

'I'm glad to hear you've had success with occupational therapy and visual schedules! Have you found that the visual schedules have been effective in adapting to changes or unexpected events, such as travel or school vacations? How did your child handle transitions during those times?'

I'm a bit concerned that we might need some strategies to help our kids cope with unexpected events or changes, especially since they can sometimes impact routines and expectations. Has anyone else used visual schedules or occupational therapy techniques to support their children during times of change? What worked well or didn't work as planned in those situations?

Reactions: mamamia
Our oldest is ADHD and has difficulty with changing routines. We used a visual schedule to help him cope during times of change, such as school closures or changes in our daily routine during illness. It seemed to work well but we also encountered some challenges.

One thing that did not go so smoothly was when he had to quarantine due to contact with someone who had COVID-19. The change in routines and activities really threw him off. However, using a visual schedule helped to provide some structure during a time of uncertainty. He felt more prepared for what to expect each day.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
One thing we found particularly helpful was having a "worst-case scenario" visual schedule created, which outlined all of the different routine changes and possible activities he could expect if he had to quarantine. It helped him feel more prepared for what might happen each day.

We also made sure to involve him in the planning process when creating this schedule, which we found really mattered in terms of reducing his anxiety levels. By making sure that his needs and expectations were met, we felt like he was better equipped to cope with the situation.

Would love to hear about other strategies or ideas you might have for supporting a child during times of uncertainty, such as illness or quarantining. We've been exploring how we can involve him in more decision-making processes during these time, which seems to be really beneficial.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu