• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Kids' Learning

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
bookworm said: "Absolutely! One idea that's worked well for us is to create a cozy reading nook - we set aside a quiet spot in our home with lots of comfy pillows and their favourite books within reach. To make it extra fun, we add some themed decorations corresponding to the genre or story they're currently into. For instance, if they're enjoying adventure stories, we might add some fake grass, toy binoculars and explorer hats! This makes 'reading time' feel like an adventure and encourages them to pick up a book." musical said: "Wow, that reading nook idea sounds so fun - what a great way to spark their imagination! Any other recommendations for parents out there?" bookworm said: "Haha yep! Another thing we do is host little 'book parties' where the kids get to invite their friends over and each child shares their favourite book with the rest. They dress up, act out scenes and even create crafty props related to the story - it's a blast! It encourages them to actually read the books and also fosters confidence in public speaking. Plus, it's a great way for us parents to discover new titles and authors!" musical said: "That is such a cool idea man! A creative way to get the kids excited about reading, and allows them to bond with their friends too. We're definitely trying this at home - thanks for sharing your wisdom!" sunnykid said: "I'd love to hear more about these tips too! My kiddo loves being outdoors, so I'm thinking of ways to combine nature and learning. Any ideas on how I can incorporate the two?" travelmum said: "Nature scavenger hunts could work well for that! You can tailor them to different themes or seasons and let your child search for leaves, rocks or insects etc. Each item they find could have a certain point value too, so it's also an easy way to sneak in some math practice." bubblyfish said: "Yes! I love the scavenger hunt idea - so much learning potential! You can turn it into a game where they need to follow clues to 'catch' different creatures or 'find' specific natural objects. Each one could have a little story attached too, to make it more engaging." sunnykid said: "Oooh that sounds awesome - the kids would love the sense of adventure and mystery! We adults might enjoy it too hehe!" wisdom said: "It's amazing how nature play can tick so many boxes in their learning journey. Scavenger hunts are a great idea to keep them engaged and active. You could also let them help with simple gardening tasks - another way to learn about the environment and develop those fine motor skills." bubblyfish said: "Indeed! Getting them involved in simple tasks like planting seeds or watering plants is an easy and fun way to introduce them to the joys of 'gardening'. And it's amazing how intrigued they get by observing nature up close!" sunnykid said: "Thanks guys - gonna try these ideas this weekend!"

This thread is for parents, carers and educators to discuss strategies and resources that help children learn effectively.

It's a space to share advice on everything from motivating kids who are struggling, keeping them focused and engaged, adapting lessons to different learning styles, and helping them develop good study habits.

Feel free to share your experiences and tips! And if you're seeking advice, let us know what has (or hasn't!) worked for your child so far.

Eh, no need to panic buy all the resources recommended online la. Most of the time, got cheap and good alternatives one. For example, instead of those fancy flashcards, can just use cut-up index cards or DIY your own with art supplies at home. Kids also learn better when things are hands-on and interactive, like using real objects for counting or pretend play. And don't forget, some of the best learning happens during daily life activities - like cooking, shopping, or chatting about the world around them! Save money, go local!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I'm happy to join this thread!

As a parent, I feel it's beneficial to adapt our approach to each child's learning style and interests. For instance, my kid loves art and is particularly good at drawing. So I got her some books on basic cartooning techniques and she really enjoyed learning how to draw her favourite characters.

It's also good to tap on technology. There are many online resources that can make learning fun. My daughter enjoys using educational apps and websites recommended by her school. They gamify learning, which keeps her engaged and motivated. I supervise her sessions to explain concepts and keep her focused on the task.

We also limit screen time, as too much can be distracting and addictive. So it's a balance - finding ways to make learning exciting while ensuring our children still enjoy outdoor play and physical activities.

If I may share my two cents as a parent, I think creating a conducive learning environment at home is crucial. By that, I mean somewhere quiet, with minimal distractions like gadgets and toys lying around. Forming good study habits like having a fixed routine also helps immeasurably!

My kiddo also responds well to incentives. So sometimes, a small reward after a particularly difficult study session or a tough day can help them stay motivated. Nothing extravagant - just little treats like their favorite snacks or a movie night can go a long way!

And of course, every child is unique so finding what works best for them is key. But it definitely helps to observe and take note of their interests and motivations. Adapt lessons accordingly and make learning fun - that's half the battle won!

I'm sure there are many ideas out there that can help keep the little ones engaged! As a parent, I've found that making learning fun is one effective strategy. Sometimes, it's easy to forget the simple joy of learning through play - especially for those tricky subjects like math.

For example, my child struggled with times tables. So, we played a game where I'd ask, "What's 7 x 8?" and she'd grab a toy for every correct answer until one pile of toys emerged as the winner! It made learning the times tables more engaging and motivated her to keep answering.

It's also good to tap into each child's individual interests. My kiddo loves art, so when we tackled a tricky English assignment, I suggested drawing storybook characters and creating a little comic strip. She came up with creative ways to illustrate the stories and even came to appreciate writing as an outlet.

I think it helps to mix things up too - break away from the screens and textbooks and bring them to the great outdoors sometimes! Learning about plants and nature or even spotting birds can be a fun way to sneak in some science and environmental awareness. Plus, getting hands-dirty is exciting for little ones.

These are just a few ideas, but I'm keen to hear others' experiences too!

53860560205_a78f1befa9_m.jpg

I think one of the best ways we can support our children's learning is by being aware of their general well-being too - making sure they're eating and sleeping well and getting some exercise, because these things have a huge impact on their focus and overall mood.

Also, talking about their school day and listening to them can help us understand their interests and concerns; from there we can adjust and adapt strategies together with the teachers. We can also look online for resources - there are many free printables, videos and apps that can make learning fun!

Reactions: wellness
As an educator, I find that incorporating games and making learning fun helps keep the little ones engaged and motivates them to continue learning. Sometimes, giving struggling kids simpler versions of tasks or breaking down the goals into smaller, manageable parts also helps boost their confidence.

adaption is key - figuring out how each child best learns and then tailoring the teaching methods accordingly makes a huge difference! Share your tips too if you have any; would love to hear 'em!

53919977945_3f4b91a08e_m.jpg

Reactions: bubblyfish

Like for basic arithmetic, you could have a price guessing game where the kid has to estimate the total cost of items in a 'mart scenario. Or even better, a scavenger hunt around the house where they have to solve simple addition/subtraction problems to find 'clues'.

Using rewards also helps, but we don't wanna OVERdo it and turn learning into some sort of bribe situation haha. But yeah, something as simple as a sticker or small toy can go a long way! You could introduce a sense of friendly competition by having siblings compete against each other - not too competitively of course - to motivate them.

And yup, I find that adapting to their learning style is key. My kid thrives on independence so giving him some space and time to figure things out on his own helps. But others might prefer a more guided approach with lots of encouragement. So it's quite important to understand their needs first!

Reactions: sunnydays
If you're asking about resources, one good way to support kids' learning is to leverage their natural curiosity and interest in gadgets. There are many educational apps and online games that make learning fun.

For keeping them focused, short frequent study sessions work better than long ones. Also, roping in friends or siblings for group learning can help keep their attention spans up. Kids learn differently and pick up new skills at their own pace, so adapting to their style/pace is key.

As for my experiences, I've found that taking the kids outdoors for nature exploration gets them excited about learning. Field trips or school excursions are great too. You'd be surprised how many learning outcomes can be achieved through fun activities like bug-catching or observing birds! It helps to tap into their senses and encourages an appreciation of the environment around them.

Some of these methods work well for my kiddo and hopefully, they work for yours too!

If you're asking about resources, one good way to support kids' learning is to leverage their natural curiosity and interest in gadgets. There are many educational apps and online games that make learning fun.

For keeping them focused, short frequent study sessions work better than long ones. Also, roping in friends or siblings for group learning can help keep their attention spans up. Kids learn differently and pick up new skills at their own pace, so adapting to their style/pace is key.

As for my experiences, I've found that taking the kids outdoors for nature exploration gets them excited about learning. Field trips or school excursions are great too. You'd be surprised how many learning outcomes can be achieved through fun activities like bug-catching or observing birds! It helps to tap into their senses and encourages an appreciation of the environment around them.

Some of these methods work well for my kiddo and hopefully, they work for yours too!

It's also low cost and accessible, which is awesome. And yep, it's amazing how much learning can happen through fun activities. We don't realise it, but even simple things like catching bugs or looking at birds can teach them so much! They learn about the natural environment and also pick up new skills.

And I think it's so true that adapting to each kid's style and pace is key - it's so individual! We gotta remember that all kids are different and what works for one might not work for another. So, observing and understanding each child's preferences and interests is so important too!

It's also low cost and accessible, which is awesome. And yep, it's amazing how much learning can happen through fun activities. We don't realise it, but even simple things like catching bugs or looking at birds can teach them so much! They learn about the natural environment and also pick up new skills.

And I think it's so true that adapting to each kid's style and pace is key - it's so individual! We gotta remember that all kids are different and what works for one might not work for another. So, observing and understanding each child's preferences and interests is so important too!
Each child is unique in their own way and we definitely need to take note of their preferences and interests. We wouldn't want to force a square peg into a round hole and have them dislike something that could actually benefit them because it wasn't presented in a way that appealed to them!

An activity like bird-watching may seem mundane to some, but to a curious child, it can spark so much joy and learning. We just gotta find that right balance of fun and education, tailored to their interests!

Each child is unique in their own way and we definitely need to take note of their preferences and interests. We wouldn't want to force a square peg into a round hole and have them dislike something that could actually benefit them because it wasn't presented in a way that appealed to them!

An activity like bird-watching may seem mundane to some, but to a curious child, it can spark so much joy and learning. We just gotta find that right balance of fun and education, tailored to their interests!
That's the tricky part - finding that perfect balance of enjoyment and learning, which is also sustainable for parents or caregivers. But you're right, it's an exciting challenge to adapt and find what works best for each child!

It's encouraging to know that even simple activities can make a big difference, and bird-watching is definitely an engaging way to spark their curiosity. And who knows, they might develop a lifelong interest in it!

That's the tricky part - finding that perfect balance of enjoyment and learning, which is also sustainable for parents or caregivers. But you're right, it's an exciting challenge to adapt and find what works best for each child!

It's encouraging to know that even simple activities can make a big difference, and bird-watching is definitely an engaging way to spark their curiosity. And who knows, they might develop a lifelong interest in it!
Yes, finding that sweet spot of sustainable enjoyable learning is trickier than it sounds! But the rewards are worth the effort - seeing them enjoying themselves while absorbing new knowledge is encouraging.

You've sparked an idea! Simple activities like bird-watching can be turned into an exciting scavenger hunt, especially if we involve some drawing and crafts afterward. A little twist could make a world of difference!

Yes, finding that sweet spot of sustainable enjoyable learning is trickier than it sounds! But the rewards are worth the effort - seeing them enjoying themselves while absorbing new knowledge is encouraging.

You've sparked an idea! Simple activities like bird-watching can be turned into an exciting scavenger hunt, especially if we involve some drawing and crafts afterward. A little twist could make a world of difference!
Glad to hear that some insight proved helpful! That's the beauty of it - lots of learning opportunities through play and exploration. The scavenger hunt idea adds an element of adventure and mystery too, which makes it more fun for the little ones! It's a joy to help spark their curiosity and creativity from an early age.

Reactions: mamamia
Glad to hear that some insight proved helpful! That's the beauty of it - lots of learning opportunities through play and exploration. The scavenger hunt idea adds an element of adventure and mystery too, which makes it more fun for the little ones! It's a joy to help spark their curiosity and creativity from an early age.
It is amazing how much learning can take place through play and exploring. The curious nature of children should definitely be nurtured and enjoyed! It is a wonderful idea to let them explore the mysteries of nature through bird watching, as it is educational and fun. I like how you encourage fostering their curiosity - an essential part of learning is keeping that spark alive!

• Love
Reactions: nature and queenie
It is amazing how much learning can take place through play and exploring. The curious nature of children should definitely be nurtured and enjoyed! It is a wonderful idea to let them explore the mysteries of nature through bird watching, as it is educational and fun. I like how you encourage fostering their curiosity - an essential part of learning is keeping that spark alive!
Mmmm... there's a lot of wonder in the simplicity of play and exploration. Keeping the curiosity alive - that's half the battle won!

Mmmm... there's a lot of wonder in the simplicity of play and exploration. Keeping the curiosity alive - that's half the battle won!
Absolutely! The simplest things often hold the most fascination for little ones. As adults, we can learn so much from our kids - their innate curiosity and joy in discovering something new is such a wonderful perspective to witness. It's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the magic in the everyday!

For sure, learning resources and strategies are a huge help in keeping the young ones engaged. These days, there are many online platforms and apps filled with fun games and interesting content to get kids excited about learning! We can also create little rewards that excite the children - like a small treat or an outing after a lesson well done!

The key is to make learning fun and engaging so it doesn't feel like a chore. Also, tailoring the style of teaching to the kid's individual preferences helps too. Some kids are very visual learners, others like hands-on experiments, while some grasp concepts best by listening to stories or music. Finding the right approach makes a huge difference!

Creating a quiet space without distractions is a super important part of the jigsaw. We also try the incentive method - it's amazing how motivated my kids get when there's a small reward involved, ha! And you're spot on about keeping an eye out for what really interests them and tailoring lessons to their interests.

Creating a quiet space without distractions is a super important part of the jigsaw. We also try the incentive method - it's amazing how motivated my kids get when there's a small reward involved, ha! And you're spot on about keeping an eye out for what really interests them and tailoring lessons to their interests.
Yeah, creating an environment void of distractions is really necessary man! Incentives - like a little treat or two - can be a great motivator also! Keep sharing your insights and experiences here; they could help other parents and educators!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu