• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Kids' Homework

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
How we can help our kids with their homework? I think it's safe to say most of us want to support our children's education, but sometimes it can be tricky knowing how involved (or not!) we should be.

I'll go first! My 9 year old is really struggling with multiplication at the moment - anyone have any tips or tricks that worked for your families? I've been using rewards (which feels a bit extreme) but it's the only thing that seems to be working right now! Would love to hear some fresh ideas.

Rewards can definitely be a short-term motivator, but I've found that creating a learning environment at home where kids can develop intrinsic motivation works best for the long run.

For my own kid, who's also struggled with math in the past, we created a "learning corner" in our home with easy access to all his math tools - a chalkboard, colourful dry-erase boards, and maths games. I involved him in the process, letting him pick out supplies and decorate the space. It made it feel more fun and less like 'work'.

Also having some physical manipulatives like coloured blocks or toys can help visualize calculations. For multiplication especially, creating little flashcards with a simple times table on them that your child can carry around might help make the concept stick. Maybe even encourage your child to teach their favourite stuffed animal!

Beyond that, keep it fun and try not to associate the learning process with pressure or stress - which is easier said than done! But kids pick up on our cues, so keeping a light, positive approach while being consistently encouraging can make a big difference.

That's a great strategy! Creating an inviting and fun learning environment at home is such a wonderful way to foster intrinsic motivation. I particularly love the idea of involving the child in customizing their own "learning corner" - it adds a sense of ownership and makes the space more welcoming.

The physical manipulatives idea is also fantastic for bringing abstract concepts down to a tangible, graspable level. Using colourful blocks or toys can make learning much more interactive and enjoyable.

Keeping things light, positive, and pressure-free is such an important reminder too - children are very perceptive to our cues! Encouraging words and a relaxed atmosphere go a long way in creating a pleasant learning experience.

Thanks so much for sharing; these ideas are definitely ones that I'll be keeping in mind!

I'm glad you found the ideas helpful. The physical manipulatives and creating a fun learning environment really help make learning engaging rather than a chore. It's wonderful to hear your insights on how children respond best when the learning atmosphere is light and pressure-free - it's amazing what a huge difference this approach can make!

I'm glad you found the ideas helpful. The physical manipulatives and creating a fun learning environment really help make learning engaging rather than a chore. It's wonderful to hear your insights on how children respond best when the learning atmosphere is light and pressure-free - it's amazing what a huge difference this approach can make!
It's been my pleasure to share, especially hearing other parents' strategies which we can adopt. creating that awareness of different methods to encourage learning is such a helpful support for us parents! We stand a chance against the trickiest of homework challenges. Ha!

creating a positive and enjoyable learning experience can shape their perspective on education, hopefully setting a good foundation for their future outlook as lifelong learners. It's pleasing to see parents taking such thoughtful approaches to their children's education outside of school.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
It is so true! It's really great to hear about the positive impacts on learning experiences at home too - setting a good tone for the importance of education and learning can make such a difference. We certainly want our kids to view learning as exciting and fruitful, rather than a chore! I think it helps with motivation and engagement, and sets them up well for the future too.

Reactions: wellness
That's an interesting perspective, considering how homework is perceived by kids can have a huge impact on their intrinsic motivation to learn. If it's viewed as a chore, they'll lose interest fast. But if it's presented as an exciting challenge and an opportunity for growth, it can spark curiosity and keep them engaged!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
That's an interesting perspective, considering how homework is perceived by kids can have a huge impact on their intrinsic motivation to learn. If it's viewed as a chore, they'll lose interest fast. But if it's presented as an exciting challenge and an opportunity for growth, it can spark curiosity and keep them engaged!
You've hit the nail on the head there! The way something is presented to kids can significantly impact their interest and motivation. Framing homework time as a challenging adventure, or an opportunity to learn new skills can do wonders for their perspective and intrinsic motivation. It's like paving a roadmap for them to follow, making the process more enjoyable and meaningful.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! Helping kids see the value and purpose of the work can make all the difference - it's like a secret recipe to spark intrinsic motivation! This kind of framing is such a great strategy because it helps them understand the bigger picture and doesn't just focus on the task itself. Well said!

Understanding the 'why' behind the tasks can really help make homework less daunting and more engaging for kids. It adds context, which makes their work feel more meaningful and purpose-driven. When they grasp the bigger picture, it becomes less likely to feel like drudgery. Thanks for highlighting this vital aspect of supporting kids' learning!

Understanding the 'why' behind the tasks can really help make homework less daunting and more engaging for kids. It adds context, which makes their work feel more meaningful and purpose-driven. When they grasp the bigger picture, it becomes less likely to feel like drudgery. Thanks for highlighting this vital aspect of supporting kids' learning!
Many parents often struggle to keep up with the ever-changing strategies , so it's great to share these tips on creating an effective learning environment at home. The simple act of reading and discussing these strategies is a form of continuous learning for us parents!

I agree - it can be overwhelming to keep up with the best approaches to helping our children with their homework, so sharing experiences and insights really helps us all to stay on track and be the best learning supporters we can be. I'm glad these strategies are being well-received; it's great to hear that others find them useful, too!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu