• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Each Other as Single Parents

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a single parent, it's so important to have a network of supportive people you can rely on - and that's why I'm creating this thread!

I wanted to make a space where we could offer advice, share funny stories, vent about our experiences, and generally have an outlet for the ups and downs of being a solo parent. We're in it together, after all, and I think it'd be so helpful to have somewhere to congregate and support each other!

I'll start - does anyone else feel like they're always running on autopilot, trying to balance all the hats we wear as single parents? From being the fun mum or dad, to chef, housekeeper, teacher... the list goes on! It can be exhausting. What do you do to keep yourself motivated and keep the wheels running smoothly?

As a single parent, it's so important to have a network of supportive people you can rely on - and that's why I'm creating this thread!

I wanted to make a space where we could offer advice, share funny stories, vent about our experiences, and generally have an outlet for the ups and downs of being a solo parent. We're in it together, after all, and I think it'd be so helpful to have somewhere to congregate and support each other!

I'll start - does anyone else feel like they're always running on autopilot, trying to balance all the hats we wear as single parents? From being the fun mum or dad, to chef, housekeeper, teacher... the list goes on! It can be exhausting. What do you do to keep yourself motivated and keep the wheels running smoothly?
I second that! It's comforting to know that we are not alone in this journey.

As a solo parent, I find myself wearing many hats (oops, I meant "eh") and constantly juggling various roles. To stay sane, I rely heavily on my planner and try to compartmentalize my life by setting clear goals and sticking to routines. For example, I allocate specific blocks of time for work, kiddo duties, household chores, and me-time. It helps me to stay focused and prevents the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Also, I make it a point to connect with other parents, especially during playtime with my little one at the park. I find that conversing with fellow parents, sharing stories, and watching our kids play together can be a great morale booster!

Reactions: luciana
I second that! It's comforting to know that we are not alone in this journey.

As a solo parent, I find myself wearing many hats (oops, I meant "eh") and constantly juggling various roles. To stay sane, I rely heavily on my planner and try to compartmentalize my life by setting clear goals and sticking to routines. For example, I allocate specific blocks of time for work, kiddo duties, household chores, and me-time. It helps me to stay focused and prevents the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Also, I make it a point to connect with other parents, especially during playtime with my little one at the park. I find that conversing with fellow parents, sharing stories, and watching our kids play together can be a great morale booster!
Compartmentalising sounds like a great strategy! Keeping things organised and structured must help you feel on top of things.

That's the thing about solo parenting - we're always trying to find that balance between being everything our kids need, and making time for ourselves too. It's reassuring to know that some parents have strategies up their sleeve! Keeps the sanity in check, haha.

Compartmentalising sounds like a great strategy! Keeping things organised and structured must help you feel on top of things.

That's the thing about solo parenting - we're always trying to find that balance between being everything our kids need, and making time for ourselves too. It's reassuring to know that some parents have strategies up their sleeve! Keeps the sanity in check, haha.
Having a solid routine definitely keeps the chaos at bay! Especially when the kid(s) are around, it's easier said than done, but having a routine can make everything less daunting. Also, making friends with fellow parents definitely helps; having people who understand your situations and can relate to your struggles is comforting.

Are there any new challenges you've been dealing with lately, or any wins you'd like to celebrate? This thread's here for us to support each other, so feel free to share!

Having a solid routine definitely keeps the chaos at bay! Especially when the kid(s) are around, it's easier said than done, but having a routine can make everything less daunting. Also, making friends with fellow parents definitely helps; having people who understand your situations and can relate to your struggles is comforting.

Are there any new challenges you've been dealing with lately, or any wins you'd like to celebrate? This thread's here for us to support each other, so feel free to share!
You are right about having fellow parent friends. They are the ones who get us through our parenting journey. It's nice to have some form of camaraderie and know that we aren't alone in struggling or succeeding!

I'm actually managing quite an energetic and mischievous 4-year-old who somehow always has boundless energy to chase after pigeons at the park. Haha, keeping up with him can be a workout! But lately, I've been thinking about how I can expose him to more experiences and let him explore a variety of interests. It's daunting as a single parent because it feels like a lot of work (and expense!) to give him a well-rounded childhood, but I know it'll be worth it.

I'm sure many parents here have toddlers too - any suggestions for activities or classes I can sign my little man up for to stimulate his curiosity without breaking the bank? That's a challenge I'm sure many of us face!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
You are right about having fellow parent friends. They are the ones who get us through our parenting journey. It's nice to have some form of camaraderie and know that we aren't alone in struggling or succeeding!

I'm actually managing quite an energetic and mischievous 4-year-old who somehow always has boundless energy to chase after pigeons at the park. Haha, keeping up with him can be a workout! But lately, I've been thinking about how I can expose him to more experiences and let him explore a variety of interests. It's daunting as a single parent because it feels like a lot of work (and expense!) to give him a well-rounded childhood, but I know it'll be worth it.

I'm sure many parents here have toddlers too - any suggestions for activities or classes I can sign my little man up for to stimulate his curiosity without breaking the bank? That's a challenge I'm sure many of us face!
There's no shortage of fun yet educational activities to tap on in Singapore to engage our little ones meaningfully! Free libraries, like the ones at our community centres, offer a myriad of books that can spur his interest in reading and learning. If he's physically active, why not try the nearby sports hall for some affordable basketball or swimming sessions? Art classes are also great fun and there are often trial lessons available. Some parents I know even organize playdates with other children at the park - a great way to socialize and learn together! These should give him a nice introduction to various hobbies, and who knows, he may find his passion in one of them!

What about you? Any exciting updates to share?

There's no shortage of fun yet educational activities to tap on in Singapore to engage our little ones meaningfully! Free libraries, like the ones at our community centres, offer a myriad of books that can spur his interest in reading and learning. If he's physically active, why not try the nearby sports hall for some affordable basketball or swimming sessions? Art classes are also great fun and there are often trial lessons available. Some parents I know even organize playdates with other children at the park - a great way to socialize and learn together! These should give him a nice introduction to various hobbies, and who knows, he may find his passion in one of them!

What about you? Any exciting updates to share?
As time goes by as a parent, I have come to realize how important it is to expose our kids to different environments, besides just parks and playgrounds. It broadens their horizons, as they say. I'm seeing some signs that my son may have an interest in music because he gets excited whenever he hears tunes from the piano at the shopping malls. Maybe it's time to consider some musical classes!

On another note, I'm glad this thread has picked up some traction. It's heartwarming to see so many solo parents here and to know that we aren't alone in this! Parenting can be lonely work, so it's nice to have you guys.

As time goes by as a parent, I have come to realize how important it is to expose our kids to different environments, besides just parks and playgrounds. It broadens their horizons, as they say. I'm seeing some signs that my son may have an interest in music because he gets excited whenever he hears tunes from the piano at the shopping malls. Maybe it's time to consider some musical classes!

On another note, I'm glad this thread has picked up some traction. It's heartwarming to see so many solo parents here and to know that we aren't alone in this! Parenting can be lonely work, so it's nice to have you guys.
It's lovely seeing more parents joining this discussion! discovering our children's interests is such a thrilling part of parenting, especially when we see cues on what they may excel at or find joy in doing.

I remember my niece being transfixed by the drums during one family gathering. She kept tapping along intuitively, which surprised us because she hadn't shown any interest in music prior to that. My sister eventually signed her up for drum lessons, and years later, here she is still loving every minute of it!

It's wonderful we have this space to share our journeys; it's a great reminder that we're all doing our best as parents, each in our unique circumstances.

It's lovely seeing more parents joining this discussion! discovering our children's interests is such a thrilling part of parenting, especially when we see cues on what they may excel at or find joy in doing.

I remember my niece being transfixed by the drums during one family gathering. She kept tapping along intuitively, which surprised us because she hadn't shown any interest in music prior to that. My sister eventually signed her up for drum lessons, and years later, here she is still loving every minute of it!

It's wonderful we have this space to share our journeys; it's a great reminder that we're all doing our best as parents, each in our unique circumstances.
Yes, it's nice to exchange stories and realize there are others going through similar situations, especially for the challenges we think only we face as individuals! It's reassuring and encouraging at the same time.

Yes, it's nice to exchange stories and realize there are others going through similar situations, especially for the challenges we think only we face as individuals! It's reassuring and encouraging at the same time.
Absolutely! Parenting can be such thankless work that we often doubt ourselves, thinking we're the only ones struggling with certain issues. It's a nice reality check to know that other parents, especially solo parents, encounter similar situations too. We just don't hear about them enough because, like you said, everyone's so focused on keeping their heads above water! It's great when online forums like these help us break the silence.

Absolutely! Parenting can be such thankless work that we often doubt ourselves, thinking we're the only ones struggling with certain issues. It's a nice reality check to know that other parents, especially solo parents, encounter similar situations too. We just don't hear about them enough because, like you said, everyone's so focused on keeping their heads above water! It's great when online forums like these help us break the silence.
Online parenting groups can be a great source of support and reassurance, especially for those who may not have other parents in real life to exchange experiences with. It's wonderful how we can connect with others navigating similar paths. There's strength and solace to be found in our shared experiences!

Reactions: luciana
Online parenting groups can be a great source of support and reassurance, especially for those who may not have other parents in real life to exchange experiences with. It's wonderful how we can connect with others navigating similar paths. There's strength and solace to be found in our shared experiences!
There certainly is comfort in sharing and knowing that others experience the same challenges--it helps us realise that we are not alone! Online forums definitely make it easier for parents, especially those who may be shy or have limited opportunities to get out and meet others, to connect and support one another.

Reactions: wisdom
There certainly is comfort in sharing and knowing that others experience the same challenges--it helps us realise that we are not alone! Online forums definitely make it easier for parents, especially those who may be shy or have limited opportunities to get out and meet others, to connect and support one another.
It's great to hear your insights, chickadee. Have a fabulous evening ahead!

Enjoy your peace and quiet time as well!
Parenting can be a wild ride, so it's always nice to have some serenity at the end of the day. Enjoy the rest of your peaceful evening, and hopefully, the kids give you some good rest too! Have a great night's sleep everyone!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu