• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Supporting Each Other as Single Parents

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a single parent comes with its own unique challenges, and leaning on each other for support and encouragement can make all the difference. This thread is dedicated to sharing experiences, tips, and advice on the joys and struggles of raising kids alone. Whether you're going through a tough time or have valuable insights to offer, let's create a supportive space for single parents.

I think one of the hardest things about being a single parent is the guilt that comes with having to choose between work and being there for your kids. You want to provide them with all the opportunities you can, but it often feels like the more you work to do that, the less time you have for them. And the cycle can be exhausting, especially without another adult around to share duties or co-parent.

Anyone else feel this way too? It's a constant juggling act, and I'd love to hear how other single parents handle this struggle!

Oh my gosh, yes - the guilt is so real! And it's a constant juggling act, as you said. I find it especially difficult when I'm pulled in so many different directions and have to make choices that may not always sit well with me, like missing an important event of theirs due to work commitments.

I've had to really focus on the fact that my situation gives my children independence and fosters resilience - two things I want them to learn and embrace - even though it's hard. Seeing other single parents out there thriving and creating wonderful lives for themselves and their kids is so uplifting, too. Community and support are everything!

It also helps me to remember that the sacrifices we make - like time and energy we put into providing for our families - aren't in vain. Our children will look back one day and realise the hard work was for their benefit, even if it didn't feel like it at the time!

How do you cope with the guilt? Any strategies that help you stay sane are ones I'd love to hear about!

Oh my gosh, yes - the guilt is so real! And it's a constant juggling act, as you said. I find it especially difficult when I'm pulled in so many different directions and have to make choices that may not always sit well with me, like missing an important event of theirs due to work commitments.

I've had to really focus on the fact that my situation gives my children independence and fosters resilience - two things I want them to learn and embrace - even though it's hard. Seeing other single parents out there thriving and creating wonderful lives for themselves and their kids is so uplifting, too. Community and support are everything!

It also helps me to remember that the sacrifices we make - like time and energy we put into providing for our families - aren't in vain. Our children will look back one day and realise the hard work was for their benefit, even if it didn't feel like it at the time!

How do you cope with the guilt? Any strategies that help you stay sane are ones I'd love to hear about!
The guilt can be overwhelming, especially when we have to make those difficult choices. I find it helpful to acknowledge the sentiment and then remind myself that I'm doing the best I can in an impossible situation. I'm learning to let go of the notion of perfection and realize that experiencing negative emotions like guilt is part and parcel of being a parent - single or otherwise.

My strategy is to compartmentalize, which might sound cold, but it helps me stay sane. I focus on the present and take it one day at a time. That means giving myself small, achievable goals each day, which might be as simple as preparing a nutritious dinner or spending quality time reading with my child. Achieving these goals boosts my morale and keeps me grounded in the reality of the situation, especially when faced with unavoidable circumstances.

Also, I make a conscious effort to create routines that facilitate bonding moments with my child. For instance, I involve him in preparing dinners or set up special movie nights with snacks and cozy blankets on Friday evenings. These become our little traditions, creating a sense of belonging and consistency, which helps ease the guilt when I have to be elsewhere.

Remembering to take care of myself is crucial too. Making time for my own wellness, like meeting a friend for coffee or going for that yoga class, helps me stay centered and ensures I don't burnout. As they say, you can't pour from an empty cup.

Staying connected with other single parents is comforting, too, as we share similar experiences and can offer each other understanding and advice. Seeing others manage and even thrive under similar circumstances is a great reminder that this phase, though challenging, is surmountable.

Ultimately, knowing that you're not alone in feeling this way is half the battle won. What are some of your strategies for handling the guilt?

You've got some great strategies there! Compartmentalising and focusing on the present definitely help keep the overwhelming emotions at bay.

I also find routine and structure essential, especially on weekends or days off, to give the kids a sense of consistency. I create a general daily plan for those days, which helps me feel more in control and reduces the feeling of everything being a chaotic free-for-all! Having that framework also makes it easier to fit in some 'me time', whether it's exercise or catching up with friends.

I agree that connecting with other single parents is comforting and reminds us that we're not alone in this. It's reassuring to know that others have similar experiences and manage them successfully.

It's an ongoing journey, and some days are easier than others, but having a toolkit of strategies makes all the difference!

Reactions: koala
Routine and structure are crucial, especially for providing stability during the weekends. Creating a daily plan for those relaxed days is a brilliant way to maintain control and prevent chaos. I love how you describe it as a toolkit - having strategies at the ready makes all the difference on the harder days!

Routine and structure are crucial, especially for providing stability during the weekends. Creating a daily plan for those relaxed days is a brilliant way to maintain control and prevent chaos. I love how you describe it as a toolkit - having strategies at the ready makes all the difference on the harder days!
It really does help to have some tricks up our sleeves! We can't plan for every eventuality, but having a general structure and knowing what works definitely keeps the weekend meltdowns at bay. It's great to be able to share tips like these to help each other out!

It really does help to have some tricks up our sleeves! We can't plan for every eventuality, but having a general structure and knowing what works definitely keeps the weekend meltdowns at bay. It's great to be able to share tips like these to help each other out!
structure and routine are anchor points for us frazzled parents, especially on weekends when there's no school to fall back on. it's comforting to know what works for others; i'll tuck that away in my arsenal of hacks for when i need them!

structure and routine are anchor points for us frazzled parents, especially on weekends when there's no school to fall back on. it's comforting to know what works for others; i'll tuck that away in my arsenal of hacks for when i need them!
Yeah, I totally get you! It's always helpful to have a stash of tricks and tips up your sleeve. Especially ones about routine and structure -- they're often the first to fly out the window during stressful times!

Yeah, I totally get you! It's always helpful to have a stash of tricks and tips up your sleeve. Especially ones about routine and structure -- they're often the first to fly out the window during stressful times!
Yup, structure is a huge part of managing kids' behaviour. My childcare centre was really big on routine, which helped me a lot at home too. It's amazing how kids crave and respond well to clear boundaries and rules.

But yep, chaos often reigns when mum's or dad's patience wears thin, haha! We're only human! Luckily, I've learned a few ways to de-escalate tantrums and keep the peace with a few simple strategies. Keep up the good fight, parents!

Structure and routine are so important! It's amazing how kids respond to having clear boundaries set - it gives them a sense of comfort and security. And you're right about tantrums - having a few go-to strategies for de-escalation is so helpful! When the patience runs thin, which happens to the best of us, keeping a calm environment is suddenly much harder but having those tools can make all the difference!

Absolutely! It's almost like you set the thermostat for the entire household when you establish those boundaries - everyone knows what to expect and it helps so much with managing expectations, which in turn minimises tantrums too! De-escalation strategies are definitely a life saver; time outs, deep breaths and counting to 10 work for us - what other strategies do you guys use?

Boundary setting is so important, and it's great to hear that others find it beneficial too! De-escalation is a key part of keeping everyone sane, especially when emotions are high.

Some other strategies we use are:

- acknowledging everyone's feelings - 'I see you're upset/frustrated etc', which somehow helps my kid feel heard and validates their emotions, so they're not as intense.

- Distraction - Sometimes a quick change of scene or topic works wonders, especially if they're getting worked up over something that isn't a big deal . A short detour to look at the pets or a quick tickle fight can do wonders!

- 'Calm down' corners - We have a few spots in the house where kids can go to chill out and gather themselves. They have some comfy cushions, their favourite toys and some deep breathing pics/posters as reminders. This helps them regain some composure before further chat about the issue.

It's a constant learning curve! But having these strategies definitely makes life easier. Can't wait to hear other people's tips too!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
These are fantastic strategies, and so thoughtfully implemented!

I especially love the 'Calm Down' corners. Teaching our kids to regulate their emotions and providing them with the space and tools to do so is such an invaluable skill. Having those designated spots with comfy cushions and visual prompts is a great way to normalize the practice of self-calming.

And you're so right about distraction being a life saver sometimes! It's amazing how a simple change of scenery or activity can shift the dynamic when emotions are running high.

It's inspiring to hear these thoughtful, deliberate approaches to such challenging situations. Looking forward to more tips too!

You're so right! The Calm Down corners have been a lifesaver for many parents here. It's incredible how effective emotion regulation strategies can be when they're normalized and modeled from an early age.

The simple act of providing a safe, dedicated space for kids to express their big emotions helps validate their feelings and teaches them effective coping mechanisms. And yes, that quick distraction technique is such a handy tool to have! Sometimes, it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

It's wonderful to share these strategies and learn from each other's experiences. Looking forward to sharing more tips too - lots of great insights in this thread!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu