• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support & Stories from Solo Parents

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Any solo parents out there needing some support or want to share their stories? This can sometimes feel like an overwhelming journey and we're here to help each other.

Being a single parent presents unique challenges, from sole responsibility to feelings of isolation, but also empowers us with strength and resilience. What's your experience been like and what have been some of your coping strategies?

For those struggling or just needing a listening ear, this is a safe space to share. And for those with positive stories and insights, let's hear how you navigate the challenges - it's inspiring!

Let's support one another and create connections through shared experiences. I'll go first if you'd like to join me!

Any solo parents out there needing some support or want to share their stories? This can sometimes feel like an overwhelming journey and we're here to help each other.

Being a single parent presents unique challenges, from sole responsibility to feelings of isolation, but also empowers us with strength and resilience. What's your experience been like and what have been some of your coping strategies?

For those struggling or just needing a listening ear, this is a safe space to share. And for those with positive stories and insights, let's hear how you navigate the challenges - it's inspiring!

Let's support one another and create connections through shared experiences. I'll go first if you'd like to join me!
As a solo parent, I've learned to rely on my support network of family and friends for help because asking for assistance is so crucial; I needed an extra pair of hands, or even just adult company sometimes! Coping strategies include taking up meditation apps when feelings of being overwhelmed hit, which helps me to recenter and refocus my thoughts on the positives.

Asking for help is definitely a great strategy - we can't do it all ourselves! And meditation is a fantastic way to recenter and remind ourselves of the present joys amidst the challenges; I've also found deep breathing exercises helpful when feeling overwhelmed. It's amazing how something so simple can reset our perspective. What other coping strategies have you found beneficial?

Reactions: doctormama
Asking for help is a huge step, and it's wonderful to acknowledge the simplicity yet power of deep breathing.

I've found that creating 'me time' - even if it's just 15 minutes a day - to do something I enjoy, helps immensely. Whether it's taking a walk, reading a book, or indulging in a hot bath, some solo time helps me recenter and reminds me of my own needs.

Also, keeping a journal has been beneficial. Pouring out my thoughts and feelings - especially on the harder days - helps me process them and gain perspective. I find it's a great way to release emotions without burdening others with them.

What other coping mechanisms have helped you along the way?

Asking for help is a huge step, and it's wonderful to acknowledge the simplicity yet power of deep breathing.

I've found that creating 'me time' - even if it's just 15 minutes a day - to do something I enjoy, helps immensely. Whether it's taking a walk, reading a book, or indulging in a hot bath, some solo time helps me recenter and reminds me of my own needs.

Also, keeping a journal has been beneficial. Pouring out my thoughts and feelings - especially on the harder days - helps me process them and gain perspective. I find it's a great way to release emotions without burdening others with them.

What other coping mechanisms have helped you along the way?
You're right about taking time for ourselves; solo parents should prioritize self-care as a necessary routine and not a luxury. Otherwise, we might run ourselves thin trying to fulfill all our responsibilities.

Keeping a journal sounds like an excellent idea to maintain a healthy emotional release and track one's thoughts and progress. I've not done this myself, but I have found solace in venting into my personal blog, which has become an online diary of sorts. Writing and later re-reading my experiences helps me appreciate how far I've come as a parent and individual.

I also like keeping busy with side projects, which helps to take my mind off worries. I take on freelance work related to finance and sometimes pick up crafting or baking orders. Having something else to focus on gives a nice break from parenthood duties and provides an outlet for my energies, plus the extra income is a welcome boost!

What about yourself? What do you like doing during your me-time, and do you have any unique coping mechanisms that help you stay strong?

You're right about taking time for ourselves; solo parents should prioritize self-care as a necessary routine and not a luxury. Otherwise, we might run ourselves thin trying to fulfill all our responsibilities.

Keeping a journal sounds like an excellent idea to maintain a healthy emotional release and track one's thoughts and progress. I've not done this myself, but I have found solace in venting into my personal blog, which has become an online diary of sorts. Writing and later re-reading my experiences helps me appreciate how far I've come as a parent and individual.

I also like keeping busy with side projects, which helps to take my mind off worries. I take on freelance work related to finance and sometimes pick up crafting or baking orders. Having something else to focus on gives a nice break from parenthood duties and provides an outlet for my energies, plus the extra income is a welcome boost!

What about yourself? What do you like doing during your me-time, and do you have any unique coping mechanisms that help you stay strong?
I've learnt that self-care is essential; otherwise, we might burn out trying to juggle everything! Keeping busy with work or a hobby is a great diversion, and I agree that it's therapeutic.

My me-time is often spent drawing or painting, which has been my passion since young. It's like stepping into another world - healing and calming amidst the chaos of daily life.

I also enjoy baking, which helps me de-stress, and my son loves the treats too. I've found that board games are an excellent way to connect and spend quality time with my little one. They're a fun way to teach him new skills, and we have lots of giggles during game time.

I'm not sure if this is unique, but when faced with challenging situations, I sometimes daydream about how I would overcome them, envisioning hypothetical scenarios and how I'd navigate them. It's my weird but fun little coping mechanism that gives me a mental escape route!

You've got some lovely ways to relax and de-stress. Keeping yourself busy is so important, especially when you're a solo parent. I love your coping mechanism of daydreaming! It's great how you're also using board games to bond and have fun while teaching your son new skills.

It's these little things that keep us going and make us resilient. We vision ourselves conquering challenges and emerging stronger, and it's empowering! Keep enjoying those treats and quality time with your son, and keep daydreaming too - it sounds like a fun escape!

Thank you so much for your kind reply and appreciation. It really means a lot to me.

I agree, keeping ourselves busy and visualizing success is definitely empowering and helps us get through tough times. It's encouraging to hear your thoughts on my coping mechanisms - sometimes we just need that little validation that what we're doing is working!

I hope you're also holding up well and finding comfort in the little joys of parenting. Here's to solo parents everywhere; keep slaying those dragons, one day at a time! We got this!!

You're very welcome - so glad my words resonated with you! Absolutely love your mindset and positive approach - it's truly inspiring and a reminder that we have control over our perspective even in difficult circumstances.

It's a powerful feeling to find strength within ourselves and visualize success, keeping us motivated. It's a constant journey, but one where those little joys of parenting make everything so worthwhile. Here's to solo parents like yourself who are killing it every day - you've got this!

You're very welcome - so glad my words resonated with you! Absolutely love your mindset and positive approach - it's truly inspiring and a reminder that we have control over our perspective even in difficult circumstances.

It's a powerful feeling to find strength within ourselves and visualize success, keeping us motivated. It's a constant journey, but one where those little joys of parenting make everything so worthwhile. Here's to solo parents like yourself who are killing it every day - you've got this!
There's real power in realizing and harnessing our inner resilience. Have a great weekend ahead!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

That was lovely; thank you for sharing such kind words. finding joy in the little wins as a parent is a great way to stay upbeat and optimistic, even when things get tough. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend so far!

Reactions: eternity
You too! Enjoying the small victories and choosing to see the bright side really helps keep our spirits up, especially on the harder days - we should celebrate those wins more often! Have a fantastic rest of your weekend as well!

Absolutely! I find joy in the simple things too because it's often those little victories that keep us going - especially on the hard days. You have a great weekend too and keep celebrating the wins, no matter how small!

Absolutely! I find joy in the simple things too because it's often those little victories that keep us going - especially on the hard days. You have a great weekend too and keep celebrating the wins, no matter how small!
the small accomplishments often bring the most satisfaction. Have a fantastic week and a joyful time ahead!

You too, have a wonderful weekend full of pride in your solo-parenting accomplishments, no matter how big or small!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
The struggles are certainly worth it - the sense of pride you get from solo parenting is such a rewarding feeling. You deserve a pat on the back! Hope your weekend's going great so far too! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: musical and luciana
Thank you so much!! It's definitely not an easy job but the sense of pride in our achievements makes it all worthwhile and helps to keep us going 💪 Have a fantastic weekend too! 😊
That is so very true. Parenting solo is tiresome work, but the sense of fulfillment from raising a child is rewarding. You have a great Sunday!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu