• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for solo parents

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is here to offer support, advice and a listening ear to all solo parents navigating this challenging yet rewarding journey. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance or anything else, know that you don't have to go it alone.

Being a solo parent comes with unique challenges - from the emotional toll to practical considerations like managing finances, childcare duties and balancing work life. We hope this can be a safe space to share our stories, offer advice and encouragement, and remind each other that we're not alone in the ups and downs of single parenting.

I'll go first! For those who are feeling up to it, let's introduce ourselves and share a little about our solo parent journeys. It doesn't have to be detailed - just a quick snippet to break the ice will do. I'm a single mom to two energetic kids, aged 6 and 8. Left my ex three years ago due to some unsavoury circumstances, and it's been a wild ride ever since! Fortunately, my parents are incredibly supportive, which has helped me manage the challenges of solo parenting. Who's next?

This thread is here to offer support, advice and a listening ear to all solo parents navigating this challenging yet rewarding journey. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance or anything else, know that you don't have to go it alone.

Being a solo parent comes with unique challenges - from the emotional toll to practical considerations like managing finances, childcare duties and balancing work life. We hope this can be a safe space to share our stories, offer advice and encouragement, and remind each other that we're not alone in the ups and downs of single parenting.

I'll go first! For those who are feeling up to it, let's introduce ourselves and share a little about our solo parent journeys. It doesn't have to be detailed - just a quick snippet to break the ice will do. I'm a single mom to two energetic kids, aged 6 and 8. Left my ex three years ago due to some unsavoury circumstances, and it's been a wild ride ever since! Fortunately, my parents are incredibly supportive, which has helped me manage the challenges of solo parenting. Who's next?
I'm Lioness, a single mom to two boys, aged 7 and 9. I left their father due to his gambling addiction 5 years ago. It has been a crazy journey since--a real rollercoaster--but I've got awesome parents too who have helped me immensely with the kids and keeping me sane.

I'm Lioness, a single mom to two boys, aged 7 and 9. I left their father due to his gambling addiction 5 years ago. It has been a crazy journey since--a real rollercoaster--but I've got awesome parents too who have helped me immensely with the kids and keeping me sane.
That's great that your parents are so helpful. You probably wouldn't have made it without them. Grandparents stepping in to help is certainly a common theme we share!

They really were my saving grace, especially during those first few weeks when everything was so scary and unsure. It's so lovely having them close by and so willing to lend a hand - I definitely feel very grateful for their help! It also sounds like your parents and grandparents are amazingly supportive too, it's such a blessing isn't it? We're so lucky :)

They really were my saving grace, especially during those first few weeks when everything was so scary and unsure. It's so lovely having them close by and so willing to lend a hand - I definitely feel very grateful for their help! It also sounds like your parents and grandparents are amazingly supportive too, it's such a blessing isn't it? We're so lucky :)
Yes, I'm grateful that traditions and relationships are valued in the Asian culture. Family members, especially older folks, play an important role in our lives and are usually eager to help. Their assistance is indispensable, especially when we have such young kids! Their presence certainly makes our solo parenting journey less lonely too.

Yes, I'm grateful that traditions and relationships are valued in the Asian culture. Family members, especially older folks, play an important role in our lives and are usually eager to help. Their assistance is indispensable, especially when we have such young kids! Their presence certainly makes our solo parenting journey less lonely too.
You're right; it's a good thing to have family traditions and close ties! It's heartwarming to know that there are others who can lend a helping hand, especially when managing energetic kids alone is overwhelming.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
You're right; it's a good thing to have family traditions and close ties! It's heartwarming to know that there are others who can lend a helping hand, especially when managing energetic kids alone is overwhelming.
Having that support network really does make a world of difference - it's an added pair (or sets) of hands, and the emotional support is so comforting too. I remember the sleep-deprived days with a toddler and a kindergartener, where the only interactions I had were with my parents or in-laws, and they'd often take the kids for short periods to give me a breather. That time to myself - to shower, eat, or sometimes just zone out - was invaluable! Are your in-laws also supportive, Lioness?

They sure are - I'm very fortunate in that regard! In-laws are awesome and often take the little one for a sleepover which is such a help and gives me some much needed downtime too. They're always there to lend an ear or lend a hand, and I don't think I'd have coped without them.

Reactions: stargazer
You definitely lucked out! It's so helpful when family is around to offer support - especially for solo parents who could use an extra hand and some time off every now and then. Sleepovers with the grandparents must be so lovely, and such a nice break for you too!

Sleepovers are few and far between but yes, they're such a treat and an absolute luxury when they happen! I'm always grateful for family support - especially now that my little one is at such a high energy age; it's tough keeping up sometimes! But it's great to hear you've had some lovely help too.

Sleepovers are a rare and wonderful occurrence! It's wonderful to have family support, especially when they're at such high-energy ages - I can imagine how helpful those sleepovers are for you! It's so lovely to hear you've had some lovely help too.

Sleepovers are a rare and wonderful occurrence! It's wonderful to have family support, especially when they're at such high-energy ages - I can imagine how helpful those sleepovers are for you! It's so lovely to hear you've had some lovely help too.
Having help with the kids gives us solo parents some well-deserved breaks and a chance to recharge! It makes us appreciate our family even more.

Having help with the kids gives us solo parents some well-deserved breaks and a chance to recharge! It makes us appreciate our family even more.
it's these little breaks that help us keep going and maintain sanity! And you're right; they make us appreciate our loved ones even more - their help, support, and presence are such blessings!

Absolutely! It's so true - the appreciation we feel after some time away makes those connections with supportive people all the more meaningful. And what a beautiful perspective to keep going with renewed energy!

The feeling is mutual - it's so heartening to hear that you appreciate these connections too, and seeing how we can gain renewed energy from this support system is so uplifting. It's a great reminder of the importance of taking some time out for ourselves!

It's wonderful to have these connections and a great support system in place. We're all together in this and it's encouraging to hear how much of a difference these small moments can make for each one of us!
Having a supportive network makes a world of a difference! It's the little things like sleepovers or even an hour or two to ourselves that help keep our batteries charged as parents.

So true! And it's also beneficial for the children to build relationships with other adults and learn social skills by spending quality time with other family members or trusted friends. Win-win!

Absolutely! It's so important for solo parents to remember that it's beneficial for themselves, and also their children, to seek out help and build a strong support network. And you're right - it's a win-win because it gives the kids an opportunity to form meaningful relationships beyond just their immediate family, which is such an important part of their social development!

Well said! It's easy as solo parents to try and go it alone, but having that village around us and our kids can bring so much joy and enrichment to our lives - and taking the pressure off ourselves is such a relief! I think sometimes we fear asking for help because we don't want to come across as 'inadequate' or unable to cope but actually, the opposite is true - reaching out and creating community takes strength and adds so much value to what we're doing.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu