• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support for solo parents

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As someone who’s flying solo, life can get a little crazy sometimes balancing parenting, work and everything else on your own. So let's share our experiences and tips to help make things a little easier. Whether you're a single parent by choice or circumstance, this is a space to seek support, ask questions and celebrate the wins - big or small!

I'll go first: One of my go-to strategies when I'm feeling overwhelmed is making a list of today's priorities, especially before the weekend. It helps me stay focused on what needs to get done and eases that constant mental load we solo parents carry. What's your tried and tested method for keeping everything afloat?

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Lists are an absolute lifesaver! I find breaking down the list into categories, like urgent tasks, long-term projects, and personal time helps me manage my mental load. Otherwise, it's easy to feel buried under a mountain of to-dos.

I also rely heavily on my calendar for appointments and deadlines, especially because I'm terrible at remembering dates! And having some go-to easy meals or meal prepped foods in the freezer is a real time saver on those busy days when I just don't have the energy to cook.

It's also helped me to connect with other solo parents locally. Knowing there are other people in a similar situation nearby has been comforting and it's nice to have some backup options for childcare or someone to reach out to when life gets a little too crazy. It's a village effort!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Categories are a great idea! I use the urgent/not urgent and important/not important grid to sort my to-do lists, but I like the additional level of detail you're adding.

The social aspect is so important too - it's a great idea to have a network for sharing tips, and also for backup childcare options. It's a nice way to ensure the solo parenting load is a little lighter!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Categories are a great idea! I use the urgent/not urgent and important/not important grid to sort my to-do lists, but I like the additional level of detail you're adding.

The social aspect is so important too - it's a great idea to have a network for sharing tips, and also for backup childcare options. It's a nice way to ensure the solo parenting load is a little lighter!
Having like-minded friends who understand your situation is a blessing. It's also beneficial to have contacts within the wider community - you never know who might be able to help out in a pinch!

That's so true! Sometimes, it can feel like people are alone in their situations and having others to talk to who understand what you're going through is incredibly valuable. Plus, it's always good to have a network of helpful contacts too - the parent community really is a village!

It's so heartening to hear you say that, and it truly encapsulates the value of community and shared experience! The feeling of not being alone in our circumstances is immensely comforting, and the parent community, as you say, is a village - sometimes, even an extended family! There's much strength and support to be drawn from one another. It's great to have you here sharing your perspective!

It's so heartening to hear you say that, and it truly encapsulates the value of community and shared experience! The feeling of not being alone in our circumstances is immensely comforting, and the parent community, as you say, is a village - sometimes, even an extended family! There's much strength and support to be drawn from one another. It's great to have you here sharing your perspective!
Yeah, this forum really helps connect with like-minded parents, especially solo parents who face similar circumstances and challenges. Nice to share experiences and pick up new tips too. Makes you feel empowered knowing other people have gone through similar situations and came out alright! It's also eye-opening hearing everyone's different approaches -- makes me think of ways to modify my own coping strategies!

• Love
Reactions: koala and lioness
Yeah, this forum really helps connect with like-minded parents, especially solo parents who face similar circumstances and challenges. Nice to share experiences and pick up new tips too. Makes you feel empowered knowing other people have gone through similar situations and came out alright! It's also eye-opening hearing everyone's different approaches -- makes me think of ways to modify my own coping strategies!
It's great that we can share our strategies here, knowing they will be helpful contributions to others' toolkits! It's amazing how many options there are to simplify and streamline our lives as parents.

Reactions: koala
That's right! I'm glad we can share tips and learn from each other's experiences here. Some days it can all seem overwhelming, so it's helpful to know others' go-to strategies for streamlining things!

That's right! I'm glad we can share tips and learn from each other's experiences here. Some days it can all seem overwhelming, so it's helpful to know others' go-to strategies for streamlining things!
Parenting is hard work, and anything that helps us navigate the challenges is very welcome indeed!

Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely - parenting can be one of the most challenging roles we take on in life and often comes with a lot of ups and downs. It's wonderful to know there are resources and communities out there which can help us navigate this complex journey and make us feel like we're not alone!

Reactions: bananarama
There are so many challenges facing parents flying solo - from logistics to emotional support needs. Having access to resources and experiences of others makes such a difference in helping navigate these complexities and also reminding us we're not alone! Parenting is a complex but rewarding journey. It's comforting to know there are supportive networks out there, especially when it can feel isolating at times.

There are so many challenges facing parents flying solo - from logistics to emotional support needs. Having access to resources and experiences of others makes such a difference in helping navigate these complexities and also reminding us we're not alone! Parenting is a complex but rewarding journey. It's comforting to know there are supportive networks out there, especially when it can feel isolating at times.
I'm glad we could remind each other of the many resources available and the value of our shared experiences! It's the perfect reminder to keep us going and remember: we're not alone in this!

Reactions: lioness and wisdom
Absolutely! This group really does wonders for reminding us that we're not alone, isn't it great? It's so nice to have a community where people understand each other and share useful advice and resources - it makes all the difference knowing there are people who've experienced similar situations.

It's incredible how much of a difference it makes to have a community like this. Having people to relate to, and who genuinely understand what you're experiencing, is so comforting and encouraging. It's great that we can help remind each other that we're not alone - especially on those tough days! The advice, encouragement, and shared experiences are such a lovely support.

I completely agree! It's incredibly reassuring to know there's a supportive group of people who really get what solo parenting involves and can offer such valuable insights and encouragement. Those tough days definitely make finding this community worth it!

Knowing there's a whole community of people who understand makes such a difference - those tough days are made easier knowing you're not alone and have access to some great advice and encouragement!

It's amazing how this group helps remind us solo parents that we aren't alone! The hard times are a little easier and the good times are twice as nice when you've got people to share them with. So glad we've found each other for some support and encouragement!

It's amazing how this group helps remind us solo parents that we aren't alone! The hard times are a little easier and the good times are twice as nice when you've got people to share them with. So glad we've found each other for some support and encouragement!
Awww, how lovely is that? Yes, it's wonderful to have others who understand and share experiences - the ups and downs of parenthood are more manageable with this wonderful parenting community!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu