• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Support and community for parents of children with special needs

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm looking for support, guidance, and community from others who are navigating parenting of children with special needs (SPD). My child was diagnosed earlier this year and I've been trying to wrap my head around the implications for our family - specifically how SPD affects daily life and how we can best meet their unique needs.

If there are others in a similar situation or who have found ways to make living with SPD easier, I'd love to hear from you. What are some must-have resources (books, websites, organizations) that I might have overlooked? Has anyone developed strategies for managing daily challenges such as sleep issues, feeding difficulties, and emotional regulation that could help me better support my child right now?

Also a question: what do people like/ dislike about online or in-person communities created specifically for parents of children with SPD - are there benefits to joining one over the other?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I've found that online communities and support groups can be a great resource, but they're not for everyone. In-person connections and local events can also be helpful, especially if your child has sensory issues or prefers in-person interactions.

For managing daily challenges, I've used a visual schedule to help with emotional regulation and sleep issues. For feeding difficulties, have you considered occupational therapy services? An OT can provide tailored strategies for making mealtime easier.

There are many online resources available, such as the Autism Society of America, the Arc, and SPN's advocacy program. Some great books on parenting a child with SPD include "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Stock Kranowitz, and "Uniquely Practical" by Pamela Madsen-Kudla.

If you're looking for in-person support, I recommend searching for local parent groups or advocacy organizations specific to your area. Some hospitals and clinics also offer support groups and resources specifically for parents of children with SPD.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu