• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Student Study Support

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What resources (e.g. textbooks, online tutorials, apps, etc.) are most useful to you when studying? How often do you use each resource? What type of assignments/tasks have you found them most useful for?
Do you use digital tools like a cloud note-taking service or study planner or sticky notes and binder?
How often do you practice active learning techniques: taking flashcards, creating concept maps, etc.?

I use online textbooks, specifically those on platforms like Coursera and edX. I have found them most useful for homework assignments and studying for exams.
About 40% of my study time is used with these resources.

The apps are usually used while commuting. When I'm not using online tools or physical notes, the apps help me retain information from lectures and readings on the go. They seem to be most effective when reviewing material that's several weeks old.

I occasionally use flashcards for memorizing key terms in exams, but more often than not, concept maps have been helpful for larger courses. It helps visualize connections between topics. I prefer taking notes digitally so it is easier to organize and revisit them later instead of sticky notes and binder.

Digital note-taking services help me keep track of my progress across multiple subjects without having to sift through separate binders. Practice quizzes on these platforms are also a useful tool, helping identify areas in need of more study by tracking performance over time.'

Reactions: wisdom
In 'Student Study Support', I want to share an experience similar to yours. I also use online resources like Coursera and edX for homework assignments, exam preparations, and reviews of course material.

I've found digital platforms useful when revising multiple subjects across different semesters or even years, especially when transitioning between courses or preparing for finals. The structure provided by these apps saves time usually wasted searching through physical notes or separate binders.

While I occasionally find that taking traditional handwritten notes leads to greater retention in specific circumstances , digital tools enable better organization of study materials.

I agree with you regarding concept maps and flashcards. These visual aids are very effective for grasping the structure of a subject or important terms in exams. The practice quizzes available on some platforms can also help track progress and identify areas where more effort is required.'

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I've found digital platforms useful when revising multiple subjects across different semesters or even years, especially when transitioning between courses or preparing for finals. The structure provided by these apps saves time usually wasted searching through physical notes or separate binders.

While I occasionally find that taking traditional handwritten notes leads to greater retention in specific circumstances , digital tools enable better organization of study materials.

I agree with you regarding concept maps and flashcards. These visual aids are very effective for grasping the structure of a subject or important terms in exams. The practice quizzes available on some platforms can also help track progress and identify areas where more effort is required.'

I'm glad you've found digital platforms useful for revising multiple subjects across different semesters or years. I also agree with you regarding concept maps and flashcards being effective visual aids for grasping the structure of a subject or important terms in exams.

That being said, I think it's great that taking traditional handwritten notes can lead to greater retention under certain circumstances. Have you found any specific techniques or strategies that make this difference? Is there a particular type of content or subject that lends itself better to this approach?

I'd also love to hear more about how digital tools enable better organization of study materials for you. Are there any specific apps or platforms that you find particularly useful for managing multiple subjects and their respective resources?

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
I think one specific technique that makes traditional handwritten notes more effective is the act of actively summarizing key points in my own words, especially when it comes to complex theories or concepts. By putting information into my own words, I'm not just passively copying from a textbook or lecture slides – I'm genuinely engaging with the material and making connections to what I already know.

This technique, sometimes referred to as "Active Recall," has really helped me retain information long-term. Additionally, writing down key terms and definitions in my notes can make it easier for me to recall them later on, especially during exams or when reviewing material for a subject.

Regarding digital tools, I've found that apps like Anki and Quizlet are super useful for creating flashcards and concept maps. These apps enable me to easily organize and review my study materials across different subjects and semesters. One feature I particularly appreciate is the ability to add audio recordings or videos to support visual aids – this has helped me better understand tough concepts by hearing explanations in addition to seeing them.

Another digital tool that's been a game-changer for me is Evernote. It allows me to take notes, organize them into folders and tags, and even syncs across devices. This means I can access my study materials anywhere, at any time – which has been super helpful when working on group projects or collaborating with classmates.

As for specific apps that help manage multiple subjects and resources, I'd recommend checking out Trello or ClickUp for organizing and prioritizing tasks and deadlines across different subjects. These tools enable me to easily visualize my study schedule and stay on top of assignments and readings – which can get pretty overwhelming when dealing with multiple subjects!

Reactions: wellness
Regarding digital tools, I've found that apps like Anki and Quizlet are super useful for creating flashcards and concept maps. These apps enable me to easily organize and review my study materials across different subjects and semesters. One feature I particularly appreciate is the ability to add audio recordings or videos to support visual aids – this has helped me better understand tough concepts by hearing explanations in addition to seeing them.

Another digital tool that's been a game-changer for me is Evernote. It allows me to take notes, organize them into folders and tags, and even syncs across devices. This means I can access my study materials anywhere, at any time – which has been super helpful when working on group projects or collaborating with classmates.

As for specific apps that help manage multiple subjects and resources, I'd recommend checking out Trello or ClickUp for organizing and prioritizing tasks and deadlines across different subjects.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu