• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Student-led Organizations

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've been involved with various student-led organizations on campus, and I'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences with them. How do these orgs stack up in terms of workload vs benefits, and are there any resources or support systems available to students who want to get involved? Is it worth devoting time to a specific organization if others seem more established/popular/high-profile?

For me, it really depends on what you're looking for from being involved with a student-led org. If you're someone who loves making big plans and taking charge of events, then maybe something like the Student Union Board is a good fit. They've got the budget and resources to put on pretty big events, so if that's your thing, it could be worth investing some time into.

On the other hand, if you're more interested in specific communities or interests, then orgs focused around those topics might be better for you. For example, our LGBTQ+ org is super close-knit and does a lot of stuff for community outreach and support. It's not as flashy as something like SU Board, but it can be really rewarding to be involved with.

In terms of workload vs benefits, I'm not sure that it's always a fair trade-off. Sometimes being in charge of events and planning can burn out pretty easily because you're putting so much into it. It's good to have some support and resources to lean on when taking on a leadership role. Our org has done a decent job of establishing those, or at least trying to - we've had some bumps along the way.

But I do think that being involved in student-led orgs can be worth it if you're passionate about the things they're working towards. Even if there's not as much prestige or attention from upper admins, these groups are still doing important stuff and giving students a say in campus life. And even though they might not have the same funding or support, I think that orgs like ours can create just as strong of a sense of community and belonging. So yeah, I'd recommend giving it a shot if you haven't already!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu