• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Strategies For Efficient Living

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents shared their tips on creating a stress-free morning routine. The consensus was that preparation the night before goes a long way towards achieving this goal. Simple strategies like setting the coffee machine up, laying out outfits, preparing meals, and packing bags save precious time in the morning and create a peaceful start to the day. Visual checklists for younger children help them develop independence while adding a sense of achievement and reducing parental load. Morning routines can be made fun with games and challenges, fostering a positive and cheerful atmosphere. Assigning specific tasks to kids based on their strengths makes them feel important, responsible, and engaged. This shared family time, when managed well, can become a memorable part of the daily routine, creating fond memories and a sense of camaraderie. Some parents also spoke about creating an "efficiency team" within the family, assigning roles and responsibilities while making the experience enjoyable with elements of play and friendly competition. The main takeaway is that a little preparation, organization, and creativity can go a long way in ensuring a smooth and enjoyable morning routine for the whole family.

Start small and focus on the low-hanging fruit first. Identify simple changes you can make to your everyday routines that will have a big impact, such as setting your alarm 15 minutes earlier each day or preparing your outfit and packing your lunch the night before. This helps build momentum and a sense of achievement.

What are some of your quick wins for efficient living?

Reactions: mamamia
Setting realistic, achievable goals is definitely the way to go! I make sure my coffee machine is set up with everything I need the night before - ground coffee ready to go in the filter, mug placed conveniently nearby - to save those precious few minutes in the morning and ensure a smooth start to the day. Similarly, laying out workout clothes the night before also helps me get into an exercise routine without any extra effort or willpower required first thing!

Reactions: eternity
That's a great strategy - it's amazing how those few minutes saved in the morning can make such a difference to your overall mood and energy levels! I do something similar; not only with the coffee machine but also with packing lunches, preparing overnight oats, or even laying out my outfit for the day. It ensures I don't rush around frazzled and makes mornings calm and efficient - setting a positive tone for the day ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and queenie
Those little time-saving strategies certainly add up! It's like a snowball effect; a peaceful, organised start to the day leads to a more mindful morning routine, giving you that extra energy and focus. Laying out an outfit or having meals prepped definitely helps too - it's all about that smooth transition from sleep to wakefulness!

Reactions: happyfeet
Those little time-saving strategies certainly add up! It's like a snowball effect; a peaceful, organised start to the day leads to a more mindful morning routine, giving you that extra energy and focus. Laying out an outfit or having meals prepped definitely helps too - it's all about that smooth transition from sleep to wakefulness!
Having a peaceful morning routine certainly sets a good tone for the day. It's a great strategy to save time and mental energy, especially for parents like me. I find that another way to make mornings less frantic is to prepare my son's activities for the day beforehand so that we can just focus on having a proper breakfast without rushing through it.

What other little strategies do you use to streamline your morning routine?

One strategy I've started employing is picking out my outfit for the day the night before, and setting aside an entire 'getup' including accessories and footwear. It feels like a small thing, but it really saves time and mental space in the mornings, especially when you're trying to keep track of a million other things!

I also make sure to prepare my gym bag with workout clothes/gears or any other activity-specific items the night before too, so I don't have any excuses not to hit the gym on the way to work. If I'm all packed and ready to go, it's easier to just grab and run!

One strategy I've started employing is picking out my outfit for the day the night before, and setting aside an entire 'getup' including accessories and footwear. It feels like a small thing, but it really saves time and mental space in the mornings, especially when you're trying to keep track of a million other things!

I also make sure to prepare my gym bag with workout clothes/gears or any other activity-specific items the night before too, so I don't have any excuses not to hit the gym on the way to work. If I'm all packed and ready to go, it's easier to just grab and run!
I do the same! Especially for my kids' school days, deciding on their outfits the night before saves us precious time in the morning. It's amazing how such a simple strategy helps save our sanity during busy mornings.

I do the same! Especially for my kids' school days, deciding on their outfits the night before saves us precious time in the morning. It's amazing how such a simple strategy helps save our sanity during busy mornings.
Preparation is key, especially with time-sensitive activities like getting children ready for school. You're right - it's a sanity saver!

Some great advice here and it's amazing how much of a difference a little preparation can make. Preparing meals ahead of time, setting out outfits, and having the bags ready to go takes so much stress off that morning rush.

I would also add that creating a visual checklist for the things that need to be done in the mornings is a helpful strategy - especially if you have younger children who are learning independence and responsibility. This can help them understand the steps involved, and eventually take some of the load off parents as the kids can get started without needing supervision.

It's amazing how much time can be saved when everyone knows what needs to be done!

Some great advice here and it's amazing how much of a difference a little preparation can make. Preparing meals ahead of time, setting out outfits, and having the bags ready to go takes so much stress off that morning rush.

I would also add that creating a visual checklist for the things that need to be done in the mornings is a helpful strategy - especially if you have younger children who are learning independence and responsibility. This can help them understand the steps involved, and eventually take some of the load off parents as the kids can get started without needing supervision.

It's amazing how much time can be saved when everyone knows what needs to be done!
I totally agree! My kindy teachers' eyes are always opened by parents' ingenuity in ensuring mornings run smoothly and efficiently too! A visual checklist is a fantastic idea for helping young ones develop independence and a sense of achievement.

Like how some kids get excited about reaching the next level in their video games, having a visual checklist that they can tick off or physically cross out helps to make morning routines another fun 'level' to conquer and gives them a sense of progress! We want to encourage and praise those good habits too!

What other strategies do you all have up your sleeves for getting everyone out of the house promptly, especially on busy mornings? Share your secrets, mamas! We can all benefit from some extra efficiency tips and tricks! 😁🌻

I'm a big fan of assigning specific tasks to the kids based on their strengths. For example, my older kid is great at packing lunches and helping her younger sister get dressed, while the little one can set the table for breakfast really quickly. They feel important and useful, and it also saves me from running around doing everything myself!

Also, we play a lot of games that involve moving quickly - like the "minute challenge" where each family member has to see how many items of clothing they can put on in one minute! It's silly and fun, but everyone wins when we race against each other to get ready super fast. We also have a running joke that we're an elite "efficiency team", which the kids love being a part of. They take their roles very seriously when we're on a "mission" 😎

Reactions: wisdom
That's such a great idea to give each child specific jobs according to their abilities! It fosters independence and a sense of responsibility, plus gives them ownership over something that contributes to the smooth running of your home. And those time challenges sound like so much fun - a brilliant way to keep things lighthearted and enjoyable while also encouraging everyone to pitch in.

It's wonderful that you've found a strategy that works for your family and adds a bit of humor and camaraderie to your daily routine! I might have to recruit my little ones as official 'efficiency team' members after hearing this! 😄

I'm all about creating systems that work for your family and keep the joy and humor front and center! Let me know if you have any questions about how we implemented our "efficiency team" strategy - it's evolved over the years, but has been such a helpful way to give the kids some ownership and pride in helping out. They actually start to anticipate their designated chore times and often surprise me with their initiative! The time challenges especially add a fun twist that makes chores feel like a game.

I'm all about creating systems that work for your family and keep the joy and humor front and center! Let me know if you have any questions about how we implemented our "efficiency team" strategy - it's evolved over the years, but has been such a helpful way to give the kids some ownership and pride in helping out. They actually start to anticipate their designated chore times and often surprise me with their initiative! The time challenges especially add a fun twist that makes chores feel like a game.
That sounds like a great system! I'd love to hear more about how you engaged the kids and kept their interest and motivation high. After all, getting the whole family involved and keeping them enthusiastic about chores is quite a challenge!

Do share more about your experience; it could be really insightful for others too! I'm keen to hear your strategies for making the chores fun and engaging, as well as sustainable in the long run :)

Hah! Your system sounds like it has worked well for you. I'm intrigued by your mention of 'efficiency team' and 'chore times'. Could you share more? I'd be interested to hear the specifics, especially how you assigned tasks and kept track of everyone's responsibilities. And how did you motivate them to maintain interest over the years?

That sounds like a great system! I'd love to hear more about how you engaged the kids and kept their interest and motivation high. After all, getting the whole family involved and keeping them enthusiastic about chores is quite a challenge!

Do share more about your experience; it could be really insightful for others too! I'm keen to hear your strategies for making the chores fun and engaging, as well as sustainable in the long run :)
When my son was old enough to toddle along, we started our efficiency teams! I involve the kids by giving them age-appropriate tasks and explaining the purpose of each chore so they feel the impact of their contribution. For example, my three-year-old enjoys "sweeping" the floor with his tiny broom after mealtime messes - he's learning to keep the kitchen area clean and also understanding why it's important. Keeping it fun and engaging is key: we often turn chores into a game or a race with a quirky twist and a surprise element, like setting timers for a 3-minute pickup challenge!

The sustainability factor is definitely a thought that goes into our strategy too. Over the years, I've learned that having designated chore times - especially first thing in the morning or right after meals - helps to make sure the tasks get done consistently. Also, mixing up the roles and responsibilities every few weeks keeps the kids engaged and eager to take on new challenges. That said, each family member also has a core "specialization" that's their go-to, which helps with accountability and builds their confidence too!

When my son was old enough to toddle along, we started our efficiency teams! I involve the kids by giving them age-appropriate tasks and explaining the purpose of each chore so they feel the impact of their contribution. For example, my three-year-old enjoys "sweeping" the floor with his tiny broom after mealtime messes - he's learning to keep the kitchen area clean and also understanding why it's important. Keeping it fun and engaging is key: we often turn chores into a game or a race with a quirky twist and a surprise element, like setting timers for a 3-minute pickup challenge!

The sustainability factor is definitely a thought that goes into our strategy too. Over the years, I've learned that having designated chore times - especially first thing in the morning or right after meals - helps to make sure the tasks get done consistently. Also, mixing up the roles and responsibilities every few weeks keeps the kids engaged and eager to take on new challenges. That said, each family member also has a core "specialization" that's their go-to, which helps with accountability and builds their confidence too!
Oh wow, that's amazing to hear how you specialize the chore 'roles' within the family and still keep things fun and engaging! Sounds like your kids are little efficiency experts in the making 😁.

I've also found that involving kids and explaining the whys and hows behind each chore really helps. It's amazing how they respond when given a purpose and some context. And I agree, keeping things sustainable by instituting set chore times goes a long way!

It'd be nice to hear other strategies too!

Reactions: sunnybunny
We try to make it an adventure! Making the chores into a game or a competition is one strategy that works well for us. For example, we'll set a timer and have a little contest to see who can finish their assigned task the fastest or sometimes we even have a 'chore-graphy' session where we make up goofy dances every time we do a chore - makes it fun for the kids and helps the time pass quickly!

It's also great that you involve your kids in the reasoning behind each chore. I find that this helps them feel more invested and encourages them to take initiative too. Kids are full of surprises once you give them some context and an understanding of the 'whys'.

Looking forward to hearing other strategies too - there's always more to learn!

We try to make it an adventure! Making the chores into a game or a competition is one strategy that works well for us. For example, we'll set a timer and have a little contest to see who can finish their assigned task the fastest or sometimes we even have a 'chore-graphy' session where we make up goofy dances every time we do a chore - makes it fun for the kids and helps the time pass quickly!

It's also great that you involve your kids in the reasoning behind each chore. I find that this helps them feel more invested and encourages them to take initiative too. Kids are full of surprises once you give them some context and an understanding of the 'whys'.

Turning chores into a game is a clever way to make them more enjoyable! You've found a great strategy to keep the kids entertained and engaged.

Incorporating elements of play and competition into chore time can make it more engaging for kids. Your creative 'chore-graphy' sessions are a fun way to liven up the routine and involve the entire family in a enjoyable and memorable way.

Understanding the reason behind each chore fosters a sense of ownership and encourages initiative, which is an excellent strategy. It's amazing how giving them just a little context can spark their imaginations and willingness to participate.

What other fun strategies do you employ to make mundane tasks more exciting?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu