• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Healthy During Pregnancy

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where we could discuss ways to stay healthy during pregnancy - share tips, experiences, and advice on navigating the myriad of information out there! I've been doing some reading but would love to hear everyone's thoughts and personal experiences.

Some topics that come to mind:

- Exercise: What types of physical activity did you find beneficial? Any recommendations for staying motivated?
- Nutrition: Any healthy recipes or snacks you swear by? Did you incorporate any supplements into your diet?
- Sleep: Oh my, the struggle is real! Tips for getting comfortable and getting some rest?
- Mental Health: How do we keep our heads clear and manage stress? Any mindfulness practices or journaling habits that helped?

Feel free to share anything else you found helpful in your journey too - looking forward to hearing everyone's insights!

Exercise:
I focused a lot on walking and did some gentle stretching. I found it helped me stay mobile, plus walking is such an accessible exercise. I also continued with pilates which I had done pre-pregnancy - it's great for core strength and focusing on your breath, plus the exercises can be modified for pregnancy.

For motivation, I think knowing that each walk or session helps keep you healthy and prepares your body for labour is a great incentive! Try to find activities you genuinely enjoy, as that will help keep you engaged.

Nutrition:
I craved sweet things non-stop, but tried to keep it in check by having fruit on hand - frozen, canned, or fresh. It satisfied the craving for something sweet, and it's nutritious too.

I also drank a lot of smoothies, which helped me get some extra nutrients. I'd blend spinach/kale, frozen berries, bananas, and almond milk - a good way to get some hidden veggies in!

Sleep:
Oh man, this was a struggle I found having a body pillow helped me get comfortable and supported. Also, it might be worth investing in different types of pillows or even a pregnancy support cushion.

I also found that going to bed earlier (easier said than done, I know!) meant I was more likely to get a full night's rest. Even if you're not tired, reading or listening to some relaxing music can help wind down and prepare for sleep.

Mental Health:
I kept a journal which I wrote in most nights. It helped me process any anxieties or concerns - some days were filled with excitement, others with worries! Writing them down seemed to help me process things and gave some clarity.

I also continued my meditation practice, which I find helps with clarity of mind. Even if you're new to meditation, there are lots of great apps that can guide you through it.

Hope these tips help - look forward to hearing others' experiences too!

Great post! It's so helpful to hear what worked for others regarding exercise and staying healthy during pregnancy. I also focused on walking--it's amazing how beneficial it is, especially when paired with some stretching.

I've been meaning to try Pilates--sounds like it was a great choice for you and something that can be continued post-pregnancy as well.

I agree that having a variety of healthy snacks helped me a lot in my cravings too--I found myself loading up on carrots and hummus or celery with peanut butter when sweet cravings struck.

And pillows are definitely an underrated necessity for sleeping comfortably! I've been using two body pillows placed strategically ;). Will have to also try out the meditation apps - sounds like a good way to ease some pregnancy jitters.

Thanks again for sharing your routine--looking forward to more tips!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Great post! It's so helpful to hear what worked for others regarding exercise and staying healthy during pregnancy. I also focused on walking--it's amazing how beneficial it is, especially when paired with some stretching.

I've been meaning to try Pilates--sounds like it was a great choice for you and something that can be continued post-pregnancy as well.

I agree that having a variety of healthy snacks helped me a lot in my cravings too--I found myself loading up on carrots and hummus or celery with peanut butter when sweet cravings struck.

And pillows are definitely an underrated necessity for sleeping comfortably! I've been using two body pillows placed strategically ;). Will have to also try out the meditation apps - sounds like a good way to ease some pregnancy jitters.

Thanks again for sharing your routine--looking forward to more tips!
Snacks are a must during pregnancy to combat those cravings, glad to hear you've got yours sorted! Body pillows are a godsend for sleeping comfortably - pleased to know you've got that figured out too. There's so much to navigate and prepare for, happy to help with any insights!

It seems like you have the two basics covered with snacks and body pillows - that's fantastic! It really is the little things that make a huge difference when you're pregnant. Any other preparations you've got in mind? There's so much to consider and it's always good to be proactive! I found that doing some research on birthing plans and creating a maternity wardrobe helped me feel more in control - worth considering if you haven't already :).

It seems like you have the two basics covered with snacks and body pillows - that's fantastic! It really is the little things that make a huge difference when you're pregnant. Any other preparations you've got in mind? There's so much to consider and it's always good to be proactive! I found that doing some research on birthing plans and creating a maternity wardrobe helped me feel more in control - worth considering if you haven't already :).
You're right; the little things make a huge difference, and they somehow ease some anxiety when you're prepared.

I'm glad you mentioned birth plans because that's actually something I've been thinking about recently, focusing on the whole process and what my preferences are. I've heard so many different suggestions and stories that I'm a bit overwhelmed, to be honest! So, I'm currently taking some time to research and read up on it all - no harm in being prepared.

I'm also going to look into creating a maternity wardrobe, which sounds like a fun activity, given my growing bump! I haven't done much shopping yet, so this is timely advice - exciting stuff!

It's encouraging to hear that you found some strategies useful; I'll keep scouting and sharing any gems I come across!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
You're right; the little things make a huge difference, and they somehow ease some anxiety when you're prepared.

I'm glad you mentioned birth plans because that's actually something I've been thinking about recently, focusing on the whole process and what my preferences are. I've heard so many different suggestions and stories that I'm a bit overwhelmed, to be honest! So, I'm currently taking some time to research and read up on it all - no harm in being prepared.

I'm also going to look into creating a maternity wardrobe, which sounds like a fun activity, given my growing bump! I haven't done much shopping yet, so this is timely advice - exciting stuff!

It's encouraging to hear that you found some strategies useful; I'll keep scouting and sharing any gems I come across!
Maternity shopping can be fun, especially when you see your bump grow and you envision what clothes will fit nicely. For birth plans, it's normal to be overwhelmed with the myriad of options and stories out there, but researching and being informed is an excellent step towards feeling prepared, so kudos to you! All the best with your readings and pregnancy journey!

There's so much information out there that it gets overwhelming, Birth plans especially--it's good to research but also keep an open mind as situations can change. Maternity shopping is fun, a good excuse to treat yourself! And yes, please do share any pregnancy hacks you uncover; I'm all ears!

Birth plans are definitely important but like you said, it's good to keep an open mind as things don't always go according to plan! Maternity shopping is fun and a great way to indulge yourself during this time :)

Some of my pregnancy hacks include having comfortable sneakers on hand at all times - they helped me feel less tired when I was waddling around in the later stages. Also, investing in a good body pillow really helped with sleep as did creating a nightly wind-down routine with essential oils and soothing music!

Birth plans are definitely important but like you said, it's good to keep an open mind as things don't always go according to plan! Maternity shopping is fun and a great way to indulge yourself during this time :)

Some of my pregnancy hacks include having comfortable sneakers on hand at all times - they helped me feel less tired when I was waddling around in the later stages. Also, investing in a good body pillow really helped with sleep as did creating a nightly wind-down routine with essential oils and soothing music!
Having a wind-down routine using essential oils sounds luxurious! I should look into that; pregnancy can be taxing, so having some pampering sessions certainly helps mentally and emotionally. I completely agree about keeping an open mind despite having a birth plan - things are often unpredictable, and it's good to remain adaptable. Thanks for the tips!

Essential oils are a great de-stressing agent and can help calm your mind, which is super important for healthy pregnancy practices. Pampering oneself is an absolute must during those exhausting months!

The unpredictability of it all is what makes birth plans tricky - good on you for recognizing that! Happy to share tips; hope all's well with your pregnancy journey!

Birth plans are tricky because of the unpredictability of it all, so I appreciate the reminder that we have no control over everything. But de-stressing and calming techniques are a great mindset to prepare for the journey. Essential oils sound like a wonderful idea - any particular scent recommendations?
I've also found yoga and meditation helpful in keeping my mind at ease; might be something worth trying if anyone hasn't explored it yet!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Birth plans are tricky because of the unpredictability of it all, so I appreciate the reminder that we have no control over everything. But de-stressing and calming techniques are a great mindset to prepare for the journey. Essential oils sound like a wonderful idea - any particular scent recommendations?
I've also found yoga and meditation helpful in keeping my mind at ease; might be something worth trying if anyone hasn't explored it yet!
As much as we plan and hope for the best, birth plans often go awry, so adaptability is key! Essential oils can be a wonderful way to relax, I find lavender calming, especially for sleep. It's also said to help with nausea, which can be a common issue in pregnancy. Yoga and meditation are great suggestions too, good for clearing the mind and focusing on your journey - a healthy habit to start now and continue post-pregnancy!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Yoga and meditation are great ways to stay focused and calm during pregnancy. I found that jasmine essential oil has a calming effect and is said to help with sleep - bonus points for its wonderful scent! Lavender is another soothing aroma that's worth trying. There are so many lovely scents out there; finding what works best for you is half the fun!

Essential oils are a great idea! I've been using jasmine oil for years but had no idea it could help with sleep too - exciting to discover these little hacks that help so much! And yeah, the quest to find scents that work best is actually quite fun :). I'm a big fan of citrusy smells; they somehow lift my spirits instantly. Also, good old chamomile has been my go-to for soothing smells recently.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Citrus scents are wonderful - zesty and bright, they're like a pick-me-up in a whiff! And chamomile is such a soothing, comforting scent; a lovely choice. It's amazing how these little things can make a difference and it's fun discovering these hacks :) Essential oils are a pregnancy lifesaver!

Essential oils are brilliant! They're nature's little helpers - a pregnancy must-have for that much needed pick me up, especially with all the scent sensitivity that comes along. Citrus and chamomile scents are such a lovely combo to uplift your spirits.

Essential oils are amazing - I've been using them too! The right blend can really help with those mood swings and the scent sensitivity - it's like an instant pick me up when nothing else seems to help. I find lavender and jasmine works wonders, especially in a nice warm bath. So soothing and relaxing!

Essential oils are a wonderful, natural way to lift your spirits and keep those pregnancy mood swings at bay. The calming effects of lavender and jasmine are so soothing - a nice warm bath with these scents sounds absolutely heavenly! It's great to hear you've found an all-natural way to indulge yourself during this special time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu