• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Healthy During Pregnancy

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to Consider When Planning for a Healthy Pregnancy:

- Folic Acid: Ensure you're getting enough folate, which is crucial in early pregnancy, by consuming enriched grains, leafy greens, and fruits.

- Vitamin D: Sun exposure and fatty fish like salmon can help with vitamin D levels, important for immune function and bone health.

- Iron & Calcium: Include iron-rich foods and calcium-rich foods in your diet to meet the increased demands during pregnancy.

- Protein: Focus on lean proteins like chicken, beans, and healthy fats such as avocadoes and nuts.

- Hydration: Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated, for you and the baby's well-being.

- Exercise: Keep active with pregnancy-safe exercises like walking and swimming, benefiting both mom and baby's health.

- Stress Management: Practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing, yoga (pregnancy modified), or meditation to reduce stress.

Share your tips for keeping healthy during pregnancy, and any nutritious go-to snacks or meals! Let's support each other in this journey.

I'd recommend adding a few supplements to your diet, specifically omega-3 fatty acids. These are great for brain and eye development and can help reduce inflammation. I used prenatal vitamins with DHA to up my omega-3 intake.

I also loved snacking on Greek yogurt with berries and nuts for some extra protein and healthy fats. Trail mix with nuts, dried fruits, and whole grain cereal was another favorite of mine for a balanced and tasty snack.

Staying active was a big one for me too; I walked everyday, did some gentle prenatal yoga, and went swimming which was so enjoyable in the hotter months!

It's such an exciting time - congratulations and here's to a healthy pregnancy journey!

Great suggestions! Omega 3s are fantastic for brain development and prenatals with DHA are an excellent way to boost those levels.

I found adding flax seeds (sometimes called linseeds) to my diet also helped - they're a great natural source of omega 3s and you can add them to so many dishes or even just sprinkle them on top of meals as a tasty, healthy crunch. I also loved snacking on nutty energy balls made with oats, nuts, dried cranberries and a little honey - they seemed to keep my energy levels more stable.

Keeping active is a challenge but sounds like you've got some great exercise options lined up! Congratulations and here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Great suggestions! Omega 3s are fantastic for brain development and prenatals with DHA are an excellent way to boost those levels.

I found adding flax seeds (sometimes called linseeds) to my diet also helped - they're a great natural source of omega 3s and you can add them to so many dishes or even just sprinkle them on top of meals as a tasty, healthy crunch. I also loved snacking on nutty energy balls made with oats, nuts, dried cranberries and a little honey - they seemed to keep my energy levels more stable.

Keeping active is a challenge but sounds like you've got some great exercise options lined up! Congratulations and here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy!
I agree, flax seeds are a great natural source of Omega 3 fatty acids, also containing high levels of Lignans which are known to help lower the risk of some cancers. Good call!

Any other useful suggestions for a healthy pregnancy would be welcome! Let's keep this going.

Another suggestion would be to up your intake of vitamin C - it's a great immune booster and can help with morning sickness and nausea. Also, if you're craving sweets, reach for fruits instead of sugar-loaded desserts. Your body will benefit from the vitamins and fiber in the fruits, plus they'll satisfy your sweet tooth!

Great suggestions! Vit C is an excellent immune booster, and eating fruits for their vitamins and fibre is a healthier alternative to satisfy those sugar cravings. I've also heard good things about ginger tea for settled nausea - natural and delicious too!

Immune-boosting foods and drinks are definitely key! Ginger tea is a fantastic idea - full of flavour and so comforting, plus it's an easy way to keep on top of any nausea too. Love the idea of using fruits to satisfy sugar cravings; a much healthier alternative and the vitamins and fibre content is an added bonus!

Immune-boosting foods and drinks are definitely key! Ginger tea is a fantastic idea - full of flavour and so comforting, plus it's an easy way to keep on top of any nausea too. Love the idea of using fruits to satisfy sugar cravings; a much healthier alternative and the vitamins and fibre content is an added bonus!
You're right about keeping an eye on your intake of immune-boosting foods and drinks, especially during pregnancy when your immune system can be compromised. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, so ginger tea is a tasty way to keep well and warm too! I also found that upping my garlic intake, along with citrus fruits high in Vitamin C, kept buggers at bay.

Ginger tea is a great suggestion! Those anti-inflammatory properties combined with its warm and comforting nature make it an ideal drink during pregnancy. Garlic and vitamin C rich foods are also great for boosting immunity, so good on you for incorporating them into your diet.

It's a tricky balance keeping ourselves and our little ones healthy, so any immune-boosting hacks are much appreciated!

Those are awesome suggestions! I've also heard raving reviews about how good and nutritious bone broth is during this time - it's supposed to help with nausea, and the high nutrient content is great for mamas and babys! Also, it's so comforting and warm, which is a major plus.

Anything that can help keep our immune systems up while keeping the nausea at bay is a win in my books!

Ginger tea is a great suggestion! Those anti-inflammatory properties combined with its warm and comforting nature make it an ideal drink during pregnancy. Garlic and vitamin C rich foods are also great for boosting immunity, so good on you for incorporating them into your diet.

It's a tricky balance keeping ourselves and our little ones healthy, so any immune-boosting hacks are much appreciated!
we do have to be extra cautious during this special period! Keeping up with these healthy habits and hacks can help us stay strong and protect our little ones. It's a nice bonus when these healthy options also happen to taste good!

Those are awesome suggestions! I've also heard raving reviews about how good and nutritious bone broth is during this time - it's supposed to help with nausea, and the high nutrient content is great for mamas and babys! Also, it's so comforting and warm, which is a major plus.

Anything that can help keep our immune systems up while keeping the nausea at bay is a win in my books!
Wow, I have not heard of this but bone broth sounds like a pregnancy must-have! With all these amazing suggestions, there's no reason for mamas-to-be to feel sick and unhealthy. Keeping warm and comforting options stocked up certainly helps during those weary moments!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

Wow, thank you ladies! I'm jotting down all these golden tips on my notepad now. bone broth does sound like a nutritious and comforting option, especially for the upcoming cooler months. Keep those cozy recommendations coming!

Wow, I have not heard of this but bone broth sounds like a pregnancy must-have! With all these amazing suggestions, there's no reason for mamas-to-be to feel sick and unhealthy. Keeping warm and comforting options stocked up certainly helps during those weary moments!
There are lots of comfortable and nutritious options that help keep nausea at bay. It is incredible how nature has provided us with foods packed with healing properties, like the immune-boosting garlic and ginger! Bone broth being a recommended pick surprised me too, but it makes sense how its warmth and nutrition would help.

What other delicious and healthy go-tos do you ladies have up your sleeve for those pregnancy woes?

I focused mainly on warming, soothing foods as a cure for nausea - think miso soup, chicken noodle soups, and hot oatmeal with lots of cinnamon! Spicy ginger tea was my go-to drink, and I added fresh lemon which is also supposedly great for boosting immunity.

For snacks, I found that dry toast, crackers, and cold cheeses were easy to keep down when nothing else agreed with me. I also lived on smoothies - frozen fruit, yoghurt, and some blue green algae powder which is apparently a pregnancy superfood!

Great topic, it's amazing how our bodies and appetites change so much during this time!

Some great ideas there - warming foods are so comforting when you're pregnant and feeling under the weather. I also found soups and smoothies easy to keep down when suffering from morning sickness.

I'd add that fresh ginger root, chopped up fine and infused in boiling water, makes a delicious tea too - very soothing for the stomach! And I agree on the immunity point; keeping up your immune system is so important during pregnancy but can be tricky. Lemon, as you say, is great alongside vitamin C-rich foods like oranges and berries.

I also found that mild exercise like walking helped settle my stomach - being too active made me queasy, but keeping moving helped with digestion and kept my appetite stable. Great topic; it's amazing how different things work for different people!

Such good additional tips! Everyone's experiences are so unique.

Fresh ginger tea is a fantastic idea - and an easy way to get some spice into your diet which can also help with keeping things settled. I'll have to remember that one!

Walking is a great suggestion too, and something that most people can manage no matter their fitness level. It's amazing how a little movement can make such a difference when you're pregnant and feeling sluggish - it really helps the body and mind.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu