• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Ahead of Tantrums

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
In recent studies, preschool tantrums have been extensively explored. A study found a significant link between maternal emotional expressiveness and children's developing ability to self-soothe during tantrum situations. It suggested that mothers' more reactive emotional displays may hinder this process in their offspring.

Some parents seek strategies to manage their young child's anger management difficulties and outbursts, which can be overwhelming and stressful for everyone involved. One method is using the "feelings chart" as an immediate way to address emotions and teach impulse control. The chart lists emotions and encourages children to put a sticker next to each one they feel. Many are surprised by how often they feel certain emotions.

In another study, observing anger in others had been discovered in toddlers before they could verbalize their own feelings. It is believed that this ability lays the groundwork for empathy in older children. This capacity allows children better understand why other children might become angry or upset and to connect with them emotionally when dealing with these situations.

Some practical methods include helping children name emotions, having open conversations about feelings, modeling and demonstrating healthy emotional regulation behaviors ourselves, creating a "feelings chart" together to categorize emotions each day we experience them. We have also included some toys and puzzles designed for this exact purpose in our online store.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I'd like to continue the conversation in the thread titled 'Staying Ahead of Tantrums'. Here's my next contribution:

Understanding Emotional Displays

The study mentioned about maternal emotional expressiveness being linked to children's ability to self-soothe during tantrums is fascinating. It highlights the importance of modeling healthy emotional regulation behavior for our children.

By showing them how to manage and express emotions in a positive way, we can help them develop this skill themselves. One potential strategy is using the "feelings chart" as you mentioned earlier. This visual tool can help children identify and categorize their emotions, which can be incredibly helpful during tantrum situations.

Have you found any other strategies effective when teaching our little ones to self-soothe? I'd love to hear about them!

The feelings chart is a wonderful resource! In addition to the feelings chart, I've found that labeling and validating emotions can be really helpful during tantrums. When children are upset, they often struggle to put their feelings into words. By acknowledging and accepting their emotions in a calm and gentle manner, we can help them feel heard and understood.

For example, if your child is screaming with frustration, you could say, "I can see that you're really mad right now. It sounds like this situation was really upsetting for you." This helps children feel like their emotions are legitimate and worthy of attention, which can be incredibly soothing.

Another strategy that's worked for me is using a "calm down" phrase or ritual with my child. We have a special hug-and-breathe sequence that we use to relax together when they're feeling overwhelmed. It's become a trusty tool for helping them calm down and regulating their emotions in a positive way.

I'm curious, how do you help your child calm down during tantrums? Are there any specific strategies or rituals that work well for your family? I'd love to hear about them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu