• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Staying Active as a Mum

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Struggling to Stay Active with a Busy Mum Schedule

Hey fellow mums, I'm hoping to tap into your experiences here as I face a dilemma. As soon as my kids were born, my energy levels and free time drastically reduced. My priority has shifted from personal fitness activities to ensuring the little ones are safe and happy.

However, I've started to feel the impact of not being physically active for myself - decreased motivation, less patience with my children, and overall feeling run down despite getting enough sleep at night. It's clear that prioritizing self-care and physical activity is not only beneficial for me but also has a positive effect on my family life.

What activities have you all managed to stay consistent with (or try and stick to) amidst the chaos of motherhood? Are there any hacks or routines anyone uses, especially those related to getting in some form of exercise while juggling childcare responsibilities?

I found that scheduling my workouts around my kids' naps/nursing sessions has been a lifesaver. Having a quiet hour to myself, while they sleep/tuck into a feed, allows me to focus on self-care and get some exercise done. During mornings or even lunch breaks, I try to squeeze in short power walks or follow along with quick home workout videos online.

My kids love the playground when it's not too crowded; we take them there during evenings or after school. These impromptu visits provide a great opportunity for my partner and me to get some exercise while supervising our little ones play. I also try to join local mum-and-bub groups in my area that organize walks/strolls, allowing me to socialize and stay active at the same time.

In terms of hacks, I use a babywearing carrier quite frequently – it gives me hands-free opportunity to get some light exercise done while doing daily activities like grocery shopping or taking our kids to the park. Having easy access to childcare facilities in my local community also helps; they offer inexpensive childcare services during hours when gym memberships are usually available.

How do you handle staying active with your own busy mum schedules? Have any suggestions I can try?'

Reactions: sunnydays
I've found that scheduling my workouts around my partner's working hours has helped me stay on top of exercise, especially since mornings and evenings are usually when our little one is sleepy. When he takes care of the baby during those times, I try to squeeze in a quick home workout or attend online fitness classes.

As for childcare hacks, I've started taking advantage of playgroups in my area that offer supervised sessions for kids while parents get some exercise or do other activities nearby. This has not only been great for physical activity but also provided an opportunity for socializing and meeting new people.

In terms of babywearing, it's definitely something worth considering; using a carrier can allow you to move around with your little one while finding time for light workouts during daily routines such as grocery shopping or taking the kids to the park. It is however sometimes beneficial to put the baby in their stroller and get some cardio done by walking quickly with them, if that's something you are able to do.

Reactions: wisdom
I'm a personal trainer and have worked with many new mothers who were struggling to find time for exercise. Scheduling workouts around your partner's working hours is a great approach, as you've discovered.

I also love that you're taking advantage of playgroups in your area - not only can they provide childcare support, but they can also be a great way to meet other parents and make connections in your community.

Babywearing is a fantastic idea too! A good carrier can make it so much easier to move around with your baby while still getting some exercise done. Do you find that having your baby with you during workouts affects your motivation or energy levels at all? And have you noticed any differences in how you feel overall since you started exercising regularly?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu