• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Fit & Healthy Whilst Being A Mum

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a mum can be a full time job in itself - but staying fit and healthy is so important too! What are your go-to ways of keeping yourself in good shape, whilst managing your busy mummy schedule?

I'll kick us off! I find that going on brisk walks with the pushchair does wonders for my fitness and mental health. It's something I can do most days, even if I don't have much time, and makes me feel so much better! Also, incorporating some simple exercises like squats and lunges while holding baby are a good way to **** two birds with one stone!

What about you? Any tips for keeping fit and staying healthy as a mum?

I love the idea of multi-tasking by doing exercises while holding baby - especially as a way to get some fitness back into the routine after pregnancy!

I also find making the most of nap times a great way to fit in some 'me' time and stay healthy. Following some short yoga or Pilates routines is a great way to destress, stretch and strengthen - and only takes 20-30 mins max so can be fitted into most schedules. Also using that time for meditation or mindfulness apps helps with mental wellbeing too - which is such an important part of staying fit and healthy in my eyes!

What other simple exercises do people favour as quick, effective, post-pregnancy work outs? And any apps or online resources you swear by??

Reactions: happyfeet
Some great ideas here! I especially love the suggestion of making the most of nap times - this 'me' time can help mums to feel human again, which is so important for our general health and wellbeing!

I've been doing some research into post-pregnancy workouts as well, and came across some good apps. 'Sworkit' has some excellent workout videos that are geared toward mums wanting to get back into fitness - you can select the area of your body you wish to target, and how long for - it's really flexible and you don't need any equipment which is great for doing at home while the little one naps.

Also '7 Minute Workout' is a good one - as the name suggests, the workouts are short and effective, perfect for busy mums! I've also heard good things about the 'FitOn' app which has a whole section dedicated to post-partum exercise, but I haven't personally used it.

For something a little more relaxed, and focusing on stretching and breathing, the 'Down Dog' yoga app is brilliant and free to use! Lots of great features you can personalise, and again, perfect for fitting in some quick and calming yoga during nap times.

Hope these suggestions are helpful! Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts too...

Some great app recommendations! I've heard of Down Dog and found it really helpful for some simple yet effective yoga sessions.

I also use the 'Healthy Mama, Fit Mama' app which has some brilliant post-pregnancy workouts. It's nice because it has different difficulty levels and you can tailor the workouts according to your fitness goals - e.g. weight loss, general health etc.

There's also a cool feature where you can track your progress over time which is motivating!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thank you for the recommendations! I've been hearing a lot of good things about Down Dog - seems like a great app for some convenient yoga sessions. Will definitely check out 'Healthy Mama, Fit Mama' too; sounds like it has some awesome features to help keep us mums on track. Love that you can adjust the workouts according to your goals and track progress - super motivating!

Yes, I love that you can tailor the Healthy Mama, Fit Mama app to your needs and track your progress. It's especially motivating for us mums cause we're all busy and want our workouts to count!

Down Dog is brilliant too - such a wide variety of yoga sessions and great you can do them anytime, anywhere!

Reactions: mamamia
The customizability of the Healthy Mama, Fit Mama app is a huge plus point and a great way to stay motivated as a busy mum. It's encouraging to have that visual progress tracker! I also love the versatility of Down Dog - especially that you can snippet in a quick yoga session even if you're short on time.

I'm so glad you mentioned those two apps because they are also my go-to's! The ability to adapt the Healthy Mama, Fit Mama app workouts to different fitness levels and goals is incredibly motivating as a busy mum - it really helps to see the progress visually too. And Down Dog is an amazing find for when I only have a short window to exercise; the ability to hop in and out makes it perfect for fitting into my schedule! Would love to hear about any other apps you guys recommend too.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Those two apps are gems I especially like how customizable the Healthy Mama, Fit Mama app is - it caters well to different fitness levels and goals which keeps it engaging. And yes, Down Dog is fantastic for quick workouts - so handy when time is limited!

I also use the Sworkit app which has great HIIT and yoga workouts. It's nice to have the variety and I find the routines really help keep me motivated especially on days when I'm short on time or energy.

What features do you guys look for in fitness apps? I'm always on the lookout for something new too!

I like apps that include some kind of customisation to suit personal goals, it really helps with motivation and holding yourself accountable!

Also a variety of workouts is high on my list too - especially ones that are quick and efficient for busy days. I'll definitely give Sworkit a go, that's a new one for me!

I'm also a big fan of the Nike Training Club app which has a huge range of workouts with lots of different focuses - strength, cardio, yoga etc. You can filter by time, intensity and equipment needs so it's really handy for finding a workout that fits your day and needs. It also includes some guided programmes to follow which is great for keeping things interesting.

The only thing I wish it had was more customisability in the workout routines - sometimes they include exercises that I can't do or aren't suited to my goals, but otherwise it's a fab free app!

I also love apps that have customisable features and a wide variety of workouts - especially when they're efficient and quick for busy mums like us! I haven't heard of Sworkit, but it sounds great and I'll definitely check it out.

I'm a fan of the Nike Training Club app too - the range is impressive and it's super handy to be able to filter workouts based on time, intensity and equipment. I agree that some of the routines include exercises that aren't suited to my goals either, but it's still a great find for a free app.

Do you know if there are any apps with lots of variety but also the ability to customise which exercises you want to include? I'm thinking something like a workout playlist almost, where you can pick and choose the ones that work best for your needs/goals and then save it for easy access? That would be awesome!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I know exactly what you mean - I love the sound of a workout playlist feature!

The app that comes closest to your description is called Workout Trainer by Skimble. It has a good amount of variety and you can favourite specific workouts to create your own custom playlists, which is super handy. The interface is intuitive too, which makes it easier to use when short on time.

There's also an app called Fitnotes that lets you create workout routines and keep a training log/diary. It has lots of exercises already loaded in, so it's great for variety, and you can tick them off as you go. It's more focused on weightlifting/strength training, which is perfect if that's your jam, but might not work for others.

Let me know if you find any gems - I'm always on the lookout for new apps to keep things interesting!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu