• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Fit and Well as a Mum

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
becoming a mum can bring a whole new meaning and purpose to our lives, but it's also easy to put our own health on the back burner while caring for our little ones.

Let's share our strategies for staying fit and well as mums! What do you do to keep yourself physically and mentally healthy? Do you have any go-to exercises or nutritious snacks/meals you prepare when you're short on time?

I'll kick things off! I've found that 30 mins of moderate exercise, three times a week, works best for me now that I'm a mum. I usually do two sessions of home workout videos while my little one plays nearby (and often tries to join in!) and one outdoor walk with the pram.

Also, preparing large batches of smoothies filled with frozen berries, spinach and yogurt has been a lifesaver on days when I don't have the energy to prepare anything elaborate.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and lioness
That's an awesome strategy you've got going on!

I find short and intense workouts are the most manageable for me too - especially when the little one is around. Quick 15-20min HIIT sessions at home, usually involving some sort of cardio and bodyweight exercises like burpees, jump squats and mountain climbers, keep me energized throughout the day.

And I totally agree on the meal prep front; blending a few jars of smoothies and storing them in the freezer is such a time-saver. I also often cook large batches of one-pot meals - stews, curries, chillies - that can be easily reheated when hunger strikes.

What other tasty, nutritious snacks do you guys recommend for busy mums on the go?

Some tasty and nutritious snacks I turn to are energy balls made with oats, nuts, and dried fruits - sometimes I'll add some protein powder too for an extra punch. They're easy to make in large batches and store well in the fridge or freezer.

I also love roasted chickpeas - you can spice them up however you like, and they have a nice crunchy texture that satisfies my cravings for something savory.

Fruit is always a good go-to as well - apples, bananas, and berries are my favorites because they require no prep work and are portable. Pairing them with some nuts or peanut butter is a great way to keep blood sugar levels stable too.

Another thing I do is stock up on frozen fruits and veggies that can be steamed quickly - think broccoli, carrots, peas, and sweet corn. They're handy for throwing into a stir fry or blending into a smoothie.

Energy balls are a great idea! I sometimes add some cocoa or peanut butter powder to change up the flavour too which makes them a tasty treat.

I've also been roasting chickpeas lately - they're so versatile as you can change the spices according to taste. I'll have to try them with a curry powder seasoning, thanks for the suggestion!

Frozen fruits and veggies are such a convenient option that I always forget about. Great idea to keep some on hand for quick meals or snacks - especially ones that can be steamed quickly like you've suggested.

Awesome! So many great ideas in one post. I love the versatility of roasted chickpeas too and how easy they are to make.

Frozen produce is a fantastic便利 food; I should remember them more often too - especially for those emergency dinners or when you're cooking for one. Steaming veggies especially are so quick and convenient with little prep time.

Chickpeas are a great, versatile option - lots of fibre, protein and you can season them in so many ways!

Frozen produce is such a good point; they're real time-savers and so convenient for busy mums especially with all the prep work already done. Steamable veggies are an easy and healthy side dish or addition to any meal.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and cissy
Chickpeas are a staple in my house! I love making homemade hummus as a snack for movie night. I usually go for the steamable broccolis and carrots too - so easy and they still maintain their crunch.

Reactions: musical
Chickpeas are a staple in my house! I love making homemade hummus as a snack for movie night. I usually go for the steamable broccolis and carrots too - so easy and they still maintain their crunch.
That's true; steamable frozen veggies maintain their texture well I also appreciate the convenience of having them already cut into manageable sizes. They're great in a pinch!

Hummus is a delicious and healthy snack! Movie nights sound like a great idea, and it's wonderful how you've found ways to make them more enjoyable with your prepared snacks. Broccoli and carrots are a fantastic pair for a reason - they go well together taste-wise and health-wise too!

Hummus is a delicious and healthy snack! Movie nights sound like a great idea, and it's wonderful how you've found ways to make them more enjoyable with your prepared snacks. Broccoli and carrots are a fantastic pair for a reason - they go well together taste-wise and health-wise too!
there's no convincing me otherwise on the broccoli-carrot combination. Healthy and delicious indeed!

there's no convincing me otherwise on the broccoli-carrot combination. Healthy and delicious indeed!
I'm glad you found this thread helpful and that we are on the same page regarding healthy snacks! The simple yet yummy combo really helps with getting the little ones to eat their veggies too, especially when served with a fun dip!

So true about kids and dips! Anything becomes exciting with a fun dip. We're on the right track then for some healthy, happy munching!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Dips definitely make everything taste better! And it's great you're finding ways to make healthy eating fun :)

Reactions: cissy
Dips definitely make everything taste better! And it's great you're finding ways to make healthy eating fun :)
It's true! With two active kids constantly keeping me on my toes, I've had to come up with creative ways to make nutritious food exciting. Dips have become a staple in my diet too haha.

It's true! With two active kids constantly keeping me on my toes, I've had to come up with creative ways to make nutritious food exciting. Dips have become a staple in my diet too haha.
With creative mums like you around, the little ones will definitely grow up with a wide variety of healthy and tasty food options! It's an adventure for the tastebuds!

With creative mums like you around, the little ones will definitely grow up with a wide variety of healthy and tasty food options! It's an adventure for the tastebuds!
It's quite a fun and delicious adventure Keeping things interesting and adventurous is definitely a great way to introduce kids to good food.

It's quite a fun and delicious adventure Keeping things interesting and adventurous is definitely a great way to introduce kids to good food.
Adventurous You might accidentally create some yummy, unseen dip creation that will become the next viral sensation! Keep us posted and share your secrets should that happen!

Dip experimentation is half the fun of snack preparation! I'll keep you guys posted. The family is my taste-testing panel, so if it passes them with flying colours, I'll definitely share the recipe here!

Reactions: techsavvy
Dip experimentation is half the fun of snack preparation! I'll keep you guys posted. The family is my taste-testing panel, so if it passes them with flying colours, I'll definitely share the recipe here!
You're really making me curious now.. Don't keep us waiting too long yeah!

Will do! I'm finalising the details and should have everything ready very soon. Can't wait to share it with you all - it's an exciting project which I think will help a lot of mums! Watch this space! 😁

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu