• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay fit and healthy while being a mom

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a mom can be a full-time job in itself, but how do you all manage to stay on top of your fitness and health too? It's hard enough finding the time to exercise without also having to worry about eating well and getting enough rest!

What are your go-to strategies for staying active, especially for those who are busy AF? Do you have any quick healthy meals that are kid-friendly and easy to throw together? Let's hear your top tips!

As a mom of three, I know how challenging it can be to find time for fitness and healthy eating. My strategy is to focus on quick, efficient workouts that I can do at home or outdoors with minimal equipment. Think short, intense workouts like tabata intervals, which only take 20-30 mins, or yoga/pilates routines that target mom-specific problem areas like postural issues and core strength.

For healthy eating, I rely heavily on meal prepping and having easy, nutritious snacks readily available. I usually prepare a big batch of stews, soups, or curries loaded with veggies on weekends, portion them out, and freeze some for quick weeknight dinners. I also keep a lot of frozen fruits and vegetables in my freezer so that I can always throw together a quick smoothie when time is tight.

Some of my other go-tos for busy days are pre-portioned snack bags of almonds, baby carrots, hummus, hard-boiled eggs, and apple slices with peanut butter. And for a quick energy boost, I keep dates or dried mango in my purse - the sugar in them is natural and it helps me get through the day without reaching for an unhealthy snack.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas! Would love to hear everyone else's strategies too.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: lioness and nature
As a mom of three, I know how challenging it can be to find time for fitness and healthy eating. My strategy is to focus on quick, efficient workouts that I can do at home or outdoors with minimal equipment. Think short, intense workouts like tabata intervals, which only take 20-30 mins, or yoga/pilates routines that target mom-specific problem areas like postural issues and core strength.

For healthy eating, I rely heavily on meal prepping and having easy, nutritious snacks readily available. I usually prepare a big batch of stews, soups, or curries loaded with veggies on weekends, portion them out, and freeze some for quick weeknight dinners. I also keep a lot of frozen fruits and vegetables in my freezer so that I can always throw together a quick smoothie when time is tight.

Some of my other go-tos for busy days are pre-portioned snack bags of almonds, baby carrots, hummus, hard-boiled eggs, and apple slices with peanut butter. And for a quick energy boost, I keep dates or dried mango in my purse - the sugar in them is natural and it helps me get through the day without reaching for an unhealthy snack.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas! Would love to hear everyone else's strategies too.
Yeah, mealtimes can be a challenge! I find that having a few go-to, easy recipes up my sleeve helps. One pot meals like stir fries are a weekly staple - they're quick, healthy, and tasty. I also keep canned foods like beans and soups, which are cheap and prepare in a jiffy.

To ensure some variety, I often order from local food delivery apps, especially after a long day. They have plenty of healthier options like grilled chicken salads and vegetable dishes, which help me get my green fix without the prep work.

For workouts, I've found online yoga and Pilates videos that are short and effective - great for when you're time crunched but want to stay active. Following an online workout video at home lets me squeeze in some exercise without having to keep an eye on the clock or worry about childcare as I would if I went to a gym.

With these options, I feel like I can manage even on my most exhausted days! What other quick meals and workouts have worked for you guys?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Meal prep is a great idea - I find it helps to have a few staple recipes too that are tasty, nutritious, and easy to throw together. I also keep frozen veggies and fruits in my freezer which are handy for quick smoothies - just dump everything into the blender and you've got a nutritious meal.

Online workout videos sound like a great solution too! I often struggle to find time for exercise, so short, effective workouts at home would be a good way to stay active without the hassle of a gym. I'll have to check some out.

Do you have any go-to recipes or favorite workout channels?

Reactions: chickadee
I love the staple recipe idea - it makes life so much easier! For me, one of those staples is vegetable fajita bowls - tasty, healthy, and super quick to throw together. I also enjoy making overnight oats for a nutritious breakfast - just grab some jars, add your choice of milk, yogurt, oats, berries, and chia seeds, and leave them in the fridge overnight.

For workout videos, I'd recommend Yoga by Adrienne on YouTube. Her channel has a great mix of yoga routines for varying skill levels and durations. I especially like her shorter 10-minute sessions - a great way to squeeze some exercise into a busy day.

What are some of your favorite easy recipes or go-to workout resources?

I love the staple recipe idea - it makes life so much easier! For me, one of those staples is vegetable fajita bowls - tasty, healthy, and super quick to throw together. I also enjoy making overnight oats for a nutritious breakfast - just grab some jars, add your choice of milk, yogurt, oats, berries, and chia seeds, and leave them in the fridge overnight.

For workout videos, I'd recommend Yoga by Adrienne on YouTube. Her channel has a great mix of yoga routines for varying skill levels and durations. I especially like her shorter 10-minute sessions - a great way to squeeze some exercise into a busy day.

What are some of your favorite easy recipes or go-to workout resources?
Vegetable fajitas sound delicious and are a great, versatile meal! As for workouts, I'll have a look at Yoga by Adrienne's channel - thanks for the recommendation!

I also love my slow cooker for busy days. It's great to know that dinner is taken care of and smells amazing by the time I get home. I usually cook stews, curries, and soups - basically any one-pot meal. Just pop all the ingredients in at the start of the day (or the night before), and it's ready when you need it.

What other kitchen gadgets do you find help save time and effort?

I second the slow cooker idea! It's so convenient to just set everything up and forget about it.

My personal favorite is my pressure cooker. It cooks food quickly and seals in the flavors and juices, which is perfect for making quick meals without compromising taste. It's great for busy days when you need a healthy, homemade meal ASAP. I also love using my blender to make smoothies - they're nutritious and the kids often love them too, so it's a great way to sneak some healthy veggies in.

Anytime I'm preparing meals, I try to prep double or triple portions. Then I freeze the extra servings for busy days. It's an easy way to have homemade, nutritious food ready and saves cooking every night. It also reduces food waste, which is always a bonus!

Great tip about preparing larger portions and freezing the leftovers! I'm definitely going to try that. Slow cookers are amazing too - set it up in the morning and by evening you have a delicious, hassle-free meal ready.

Do you have any go-to recipes that freeze well? I find some dishes don't always keep their taste or texture after freezing, so I'm curious to hear your favorites.

Some of my favourite freeze-well meals include chili, stews and curries - they often taste even better after freezing! I also love making large batches of soup, like broccoli or minestrone, and they turn out delicious every time I reheat them.

For something heartier, meatloaf also freezes well and is a great comfort food you can just pop in the oven straight from the freezer for a hassle-free dinner. You might want to up the sauce or seasoning a notch as sometimes foods tend to taste a little blander post-freeze, which is an easy fix.

Lasagnes and baked ziti are also winners that can be easily frozen, and you can add some spices or herbs when reheating to give them a fresh kick. I love having these convenience meals stocked in the freezer on busy days - just pull one out, heat it up and dinner's sorted!

Great suggestions! I also like to make large batches of pasta sauce and freeze them in portions. They defrost and reheat really well, and can be paired with different types of pasta or even frozen vegetables on days when I'm too tired to cook.

It's also a good idea to freeze portioned homemade stock - it's so handy to have some ready whenever a recipe calls for it, and it's versatile too. You can pop it into soups, casseroles, or use it as a base for sauces.

I'd love to hear more of your go-to recipes that are freezer-friendly!

Having some ready-to-go portions in the freezer is such a timesaver and energy saver on those busy days!

I tend to freeze individual portions of lasagne and moussaka, as they're quite time-consuming to prepare. But they're so convenient and perfect for when I'm too tired to cook.

Also, some one-pot meals like chili con carne and chicken stew are freezer classics that I always keep on hand. They're hearty, healthy, and easy to defrost and reheat.

What other kinds of dishes do you like to stock your freezer with? It's so helpful to have a collection of go-to meals!

Some great ideas you've got there!

I also stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables. They are convenient to throw into a pan with some spices for a quick stir fry or even just boil them and add some butter and herbs. Also, fish like salmon and prawns/shrimp defrost quickly and can be an easy, healthy protein option too.

I find that making large batches of soups and curries and then freezing them in portions is a good way to have variety too - they taste great and are often even more flavoursome after being frozen. You just need to remember to take one out in the morning so it has time to defrost!

What other quick and healthy meal ideas do people have for busy mums?

Reactions: wellness
Those are some amazing hacks!

I also like to keep some canned foods handy - things like chickpeas, beans, lentils, and corn. They can easily be added to salads or used as a base for a quick, healthy lunch. Additionally, I've been into overnight oats lately - just toss some oats, yogurt, milk, and fruit together before bed, and you have a ready-to-eat breakfast that's nutritious and tasty!

Some other simple ideas include:
- Smoothie bowls: Keep a variety of frozen and fresh fruits, some spinach, and Greek yogurt on hand. It's an easy way to get a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals in one meal.
- Prepackaged salads with lots of veggies and some grilled chicken or tofu are also handy. Top them up with some nuts and seeds for extra nutrients and texture.
- Hard-boiled eggs, either on their own as a snack or as an addition to salads or sandwiches.
- Wholemeal wraps filled with veggies and hummus make for a delicious and nutritious lunch.

Staying healthy is all about planning and having the right foods accessible!

Reactions: techsavvy
Great ideas! Having convenient, healthy foods accessible is such a time-saver and having a stock of canned goods and fridge staples makes putting together quick meals so much easier.

I also love the idea of overnight oats - such a simple yet delicious way to ensure a nutritious breakfast without any morning prep. And smoothie bowls are a favorite in our house too, especially with some added protein powder for an extra punch.

It's inspiring to see how easy it is to put together healthy meals with some clever planning!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Great ideas! Having convenient, healthy foods accessible is such a time-saver and having a stock of canned goods and fridge staples makes putting together quick meals so much easier.

I also love the idea of overnight oats - such a simple yet delicious way to ensure a nutritious breakfast without any morning prep. And smoothie bowls are a favorite in our house too, especially with some added protein powder for an extra punch.

It's inspiring to see how easy it is to put together healthy meals with some clever planning!
there are so many ways to keep our diets exciting and nutritious with some simple hacks! It makes staying healthy seem less daunting, doesn't it?

Any other fantastic suggestions are welcome! But meanwhile, do share your go-to recipes that we can all try. After all, variety is the spice of life!

there are so many ways to keep our diets exciting and nutritious with some simple hacks! It makes staying healthy seem less daunting, doesn't it?

Any other fantastic suggestions are welcome! But meanwhile, do share your go-to recipes that we can all try. After all, variety is the spice of life!
Hacks and shortcuts are what busy moms need! I'll be honest - my schedule doesn't allow for extravagant cooking experiments, so I keep it simple and tasty.

One of my family's favorite dinner recipes is a honey-lemon chicken that's easy to prepare and goes well with almost any side dish. It's a one-pan meal, which makes cleanup a breeze!

Ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- juice of half a lemon, plus lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil

Just marinate the chicken in this mixture for an hour if you have time, or simply brush it on while cooking. Pan-fry or grill the chicken, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve it with some steamed veggies and rice, and voila - a tasty, healthy meal!

This recipe is also great because you can double or triple the marinade, and freeze the extra portions for later.

That sounds delicious and so easy to prepare! I love the idea of having some frozen portions ready to go for those busy days. Any particular veggies you like to serve it with? I'm always on the lookout for new, quick side dishes too.

Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu