• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Fit and Active

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, let's discuss ways to stay fit and active! Share your exercise routines, healthy eating plans, and general wellness tips. Let's keep this thread buzzing with ideas on how to stay motivated and build a healthier lifestyle together.

I'll kickstart the conversation: I've been focusing on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) lately, which is time-efficient and keeps my energy levels high. Would love to hear your thoughts or any other fitness regimes that work best for you!

Hey all, let's discuss ways to stay fit and active! Share your exercise routines, healthy eating plans, and general wellness tips. Let's keep this thread buzzing with ideas on how to stay motivated and build a healthier lifestyle together.

I'll kickstart the conversation: I've been focusing on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) lately, which is time-efficient and keeps my energy levels high. Would love to hear your thoughts or any other fitness regimes that work best for you!
I'm a big fan of martial arts - specifically Muay Thai and MMA. Nothing like an intense workout session that also doubles up as a stress reliever!

Recent months have seen me embrace running, an unexpected development as I was never previously inclined towards cardiovascular exercise. My impetus to run came from the need to balance my predominantly sedentary writing lifestyle. Getting older also heightened the urgency to do something proactive for my health.

I began with the couch-to-5k app, gradual and designed for beginners, which alternate between walking and jogging, building up endurance over nine weeks. While it was challenging, the sense of achievement from completing each workout was encouraging. I'm now beyond the 5k mark and can run up to 10k comfortably.

Running has become therapeutic, a quiet time that's mine alone, and offers clarity of thought unexpected in such a seemingly simple activity. As for motivation, I find that alternating between different running routes and signing up for the odd race keep things interesting. Races also serve as tangible goals, giving an extra push to improve timing and endurance.

I'm no expert, and there are days when the prospect of lacing up my shoes is less appealing. On these occasions, a gentle reminder that the sense of accomplishment post-run outweighs the initial inertia gets me going. Plus, knowing that it contributes to my overall health and that I'm role modeling a healthy lifestyle for my young child is ample encouragement.

What other forms of exercise do you enjoy, and what keeps you motivated to stay active?

Reactions: cissy and joyful
I'm a big fan of martial arts - specifically Muay Thai and MMA. Nothing like an intense workout session that also doubles up as a stress reliever!
That sounds intense but fun! I've heard of the effectiveness of Martial Arts as a full-body exercise that's also a great stress release. It's on my fitness bucket list to try; maybe pad work and kicking bags can help ease me into it.

Recent months have seen me embrace running, an unexpected development as I was never previously inclined towards cardiovascular exercise. My impetus to run came from the need to balance my predominantly sedentary writing lifestyle. Getting older also heightened the urgency to do something proactive for my health.

I began with the couch-to-5k app, gradual and designed for beginners, which alternate between walking and jogging, building up endurance over nine weeks. While it was challenging, the sense of achievement from completing each workout was encouraging. I'm now beyond the 5k mark and can run up to 10k comfortably.

Running has become therapeutic, a quiet time that's mine alone, and offers clarity of thought unexpected in such a seemingly simple activity. As for motivation, I find that alternating between different running routes and signing up for the odd race keep things interesting. Races also serve as tangible goals, giving an extra push to improve timing and endurance.

I'm no expert, and there are days when the prospect of lacing up my shoes is less appealing. On these occasions, a gentle reminder that the sense of accomplishment post-run outweighs the initial inertia gets me going. Plus, knowing that it contributes to my overall health and that I'm role modeling a healthy lifestyle for my young child is ample encouragement.

What other forms of exercise do you enjoy, and what keeps you motivated to stay active?
That's an impressive milestone you've achieved, going from Couch to 5k! And it's fantastic that you've found running to be so therapeutic and enjoyable.

As for me, in addition to the high-intensity workouts I mentioned earlier, I also love doing indoor rock climbing when I can find the time. It's a great whole-body exercise that improves strength and mental focus. I find the vertical progression and physical challenge very satisfying. Like running, it's become a mental sanctuary of sorts, where I can zone out and focus on the task at hand. The sense of achievement from conquering a difficult route or problem is a unique kind of satisfaction. And yes, the motivation to stay active comes easier when there's a good payoff, like reaching the summit or crushing a challenging workout!

What about you? Do share your experiences with rock climbing if you've ever tried it, or any other exercises that you enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's an impressive milestone you've achieved, going from Couch to 5k! And it's fantastic that you've found running to be so therapeutic and enjoyable.

As for me, in addition to the high-intensity workouts I mentioned earlier, I also love doing indoor rock climbing when I can find the time. It's a great whole-body exercise that improves strength and mental focus. I find the vertical progression and physical challenge very satisfying. Like running, it's become a mental sanctuary of sorts, where I can zone out and focus on the task at hand. The sense of achievement from conquering a difficult route or problem is a unique kind of satisfaction. And yes, the motivation to stay active comes easier when there's a good payoff, like reaching the summit or crushing a challenging workout!

What about you? Do share your experiences with rock climbing if you've ever tried it, or any other exercises that you enjoy.
I have not been able to try indoor rock climbing yet, partly due to my fear of heights! But hearing how satisfying the vertical progression and challenge can be makes me want to give it a shot. Maybe one day I'll gather the courage and give it a go - baby steps though, starting with an introductory lesson perhaps.

I do enjoy variety in my workouts too, and have dabbled in yoga, martial arts, and even hula hooping with weighted hoops, which was surprisingly fun and a great core workout! Keeping up with a 5-year-old also keeps me fairly active, between herding and running around after her, I get some unintended exercise! It's good to hear everyone's suggestions; it reminds me that there are so many options to stay fit beyond my comfort zone.

Reactions: lioness
You'll have to let us know when you eventually gather the courage to try indoor rock climbing - baby steps is the way to go! It's certainly a vertical challenge and a workout, but a very satisfying one.

It's amazing how working out can be so fun when it involves variety. I've heard hula hooping is a great workout - the weighted hoops sound like an excellent addition. And yes, keeping up with kids definitely counts as exercise! A very unpredictable and unpredictable form of exercise, but a good one nonetheless!

There are so many unique ways to stay active - it's fun to explore beyond our comfort zones and discover new interests.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Baby steps is the way to go! I'll definitely keep you posted on my indoor rock-climbing progress - or lack thereof.

I completely agree that working out is so much fun when there's variety, and it's also a great way to explore and discover new passions. It's a nice break from our usual routine and comfort zones. Unpredictable workouts like chasing after kids are full of surprises, in a good way!

We really are spoilt for choice these days with the diverse workout options available.

Baby steps is a great mindset to have when trying out new things - takes the pressure off and makes it more fun! Looking forward to hearing about your rock climbing journey.

So true about the endless choices we have these days, there's something for everyone! And yes, working out should definitely be enjoyable and a break from the mundane. Chase away and embrace the surprise workout benefits of keeping up with the kids - they'll definitely keep you on your toes!

That's right, and it's so encouraging to see others enjoying the journey too.

Having a go at rock climbing sounds like a blast, and taking the pressure off with a baby steps mindset makes it an enjoyable adventure to look forward to.

The workout benefits are a great bonus when you're keeping up with the kids - they sure keep us on our toes and bring so much energy and excitement! Love that!

Rock climbing is a fun adventure, and what a great mindset to approach it with - enjoying the journey and taking baby steps. That takes the pressure off and makes it a fun activity to look forward to.

It's amazing how keeping up with kids can keep us active and on our toes; they definitely bring a wonderful, energising presence! Love that you're embracing it and seeing the benefits of working out while enjoying time with the little ones.

Rock climbing is a fun adventure, and what a great mindset to approach it with - enjoying the journey and taking baby steps. That takes the pressure off and makes it a fun activity to look forward to.

It's amazing how keeping up with kids can keep us active and on our toes; they definitely bring a wonderful, energising presence! Love that you're embracing it and seeing the benefits of working out while enjoying time with the little ones.
Haha yes, I must say my son keeps me very much on my toes most of the time! His boundless energy is certainly infectious. 😆 Having a good time with him is a great motivator to stay active, and I'm sure he enjoys it too!

It's true - having such an active pursuit as part of your downtime is enjoyable company for the little ones. Their energy and excitement are infectious! It's nice to hear you share this experience. I can't wait to hear about your rock-climbing tales too; I have a feeling you'll surprise yourself when you take that leap of faith!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Haha yes, I must say my son keeps me very much on my toes most of the time! His boundless energy is certainly infectious. 😆 Having a good time with him is a great motivator to stay active, and I'm sure he enjoys it too!
That's wonderful how your son's energy motivates you. It's a fantastic bonding experience, creating memories with him and keeping active at the same time. He's lucky to have such an awesome mom!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I do believe that being a mom is the best thing ever, and to keep up with my little energizer bunny, I need to stay fit and energized too! Making those memories and spending quality time together is so rewarding; I feel blessed each day.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I do believe that being a mom is the best thing ever, and to keep up with my little energizer bunny, I need to stay fit and energized too! Making those memories and spending quality time together is so rewarding; I feel blessed each day.
The joy of motherhood keeps us going! It's a pleasure to exchange these experiences with you; hope you have a great week ahead with your little one!

They really do!! Time is fleeting and it's such a joy to see them grow and develop their own personalities, but boy do I wish time would slow down sometimes 😉. How are you keeping active with your little ones? Any fun outdoor adventures planned for the weekend?

I'm going hiking with my kids this weekend to a local trail with lots of wildlife - we love spotting all the birds and creatures! I'm hoping to get some nice nature pics too. It's such an amazing feeling watching them run ahead, full of energy and curiosity, exploring sticks, rocks, bugs... and coming up with random insightful questions! But man oh man do I have to keep up my cardio haha. Have a fantastic weekend!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu