• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Stay Active, Fit & Well

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The secret to maintaining good health lies in staying active and fit, and making wellness an essential part of our daily routine. Share your go-to workout routines, healthy recipes, mindfulness practices and all your healthy living secrets here! Let's inspire each other to become the best versions of ourselves - physically, mentally and emotionally.

Mindfulness and meditation are great ways to tend to our mental health, which is an integral part of overall wellness. Taking some time each day to practice mindfulness, deep breathing exercises, or a guided meditation can help reduce stress, increase focus and improve our sense of well-being.

My personal favorite is a simple mindful walking exercise. All you need is about 10-15 minutes and an open space. It's amazing how, by simply paying attention to the physical sensations of walking, we can shift our focus from the worries of the day and become more present in the moment.

Are there any other mindfulness practices that you guys swear by? It'd be great to learn about different techniques that help boost mental clarity and calmness!

Mindfulness and meditation are great ways to tend to our mental health, which is an integral part of overall wellness. Taking some time each day to practice mindfulness, deep breathing exercises, or a guided meditation can help reduce stress, increase focus and improve our sense of well-being.

My personal favorite is a simple mindful walking exercise. All you need is about 10-15 minutes and an open space. It's amazing how, by simply paying attention to the physical sensations of walking, we can shift our focus from the worries of the day and become more present in the moment.

Are there any other mindfulness practices that you guys swear by? It'd be great to learn about different techniques that help boost mental clarity and calmness!
My go-to mindfulness practice is a sense engagement exercise that's especially useful during particularly stressful or overwhelming situations - it helps me slow down and regroup.

It's a simple exercise of focusing on each of the five senses in turn: sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. I take a moment to observe any visual details in my environment, really tune in to any sounds around me, notice any smells, even subtle ones, acknowledge any flavours in my mouth, and finally, attend to the sensations of my body touching my clothing, the ground beneath my feet, the breeze - if any.

It's an excellent way to ground myself when I feel frazzled, helping me become more present and aware of reality rather than the stories in my head. It often gives me a fresh perspective and certainly calms and clears my mind!

Reactions: eternity
That's a wonderful idea! I've found that such practices are incredibly helpful for bringing you back into your body and anchoring yourself in the present moment. They're also great for actively engaging with your surroundings - sometimes we forget to appreciate the simple act of observing our senses!

I have a question about your exercise though: do you go through the senses chronologically, or do you ever mix them up? And do you think there's a particular sense that's most helpful in grounding you? I find that tuning into sound and really listening can help me a lot, especially if I'm feeling overwhelmed in a social situation. But there's something powerful about really observing the visuals around me too and appreciating the beauty or details I might otherwise miss.

Reactions: sportytina
Great question! I'd say it's helpful to mix up the senses as you've suggested. Going through them chronologically could be a great structured way to start, especially if you're new to these exercises, but mixing them up can really enhance your awareness and keep your mind engaged.

I find that each sense has its own unique grounding quality - hearing is incredibly anchoring, as you say, especially when we really focus on our surroundings and tune into the intricacies of sound.

Visual observations are powerful too, and often provide a profound appreciation of the beauty in everyday sights we might otherwise miss. Like actually seeing the intricate details of a tree's bark or noticing the vibrant energy in a child's eyes as they play.

Perhaps it's also the element of surprise that keeps us grounded when we mix up our senses - the unexpected sight of a rainbow or the fragrant scent of freshly brewed coffee appearing from nowhere! These little moments help keep us present and aware, and they're so enjoyable too.

What do you find most grounding? Sound, Sight or maybe another sense altogether?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I agree - structuring sessions chronologically is a great way to ease into these practices and gain initial clarity on the individual qualities of each sense.

As you mentioned, hearing often goes unnoticed as an anchoring force because it's so constant, yet it's so profound when we bring attention to it. We can hear our surroundings, our bodies, and even hear into ourselves - it's a very intimate sense.

Sight is truly revealing; it's amazing how much we miss when we don't slow down and appreciate the visuals around us. There's a richness in the ordinary that we often overlook, and taking the time to really see things is so grounding and humbling. It brings an awareness of the beauty in simplicity - the shapes of clouds, the play of light on water, or the simple peace in witnessing a sunset.

I also love the element of surprise that comes from mixing up the senses. It's like finding little surprises hidden in everyday life - a treat waiting to be discovered! It's these moments that make staying aware and present so enjoyable and addictive.

For me, it's the simplicity of touch that is most grounding. It's such a primal sense and so incredibly vivid when you bring focus to it. Feeling the earth beneath your feet, the breeze on your skin, or even the sensation of clothing against your body - it's all so easy to overlook, yet these are the senses that connect us so deeply to our physical existence and the world around us.

It's fascinating exploring these senses and their unique impacts.

I agree - structuring sessions chronologically is a great way to ease into these practices and gain initial clarity on the individual qualities of each sense.

As you mentioned, hearing often goes unnoticed as an anchoring force because it's so constant, yet it's so profound when we bring attention to it. We can hear our surroundings, our bodies, and even hear into ourselves - it's a very intimate sense.

Sight is truly revealing; it's amazing how much we miss when we don't slow down and appreciate the visuals around us. There's a richness in the ordinary that we often overlook, and taking the time to really see things is so grounding and humbling. It brings an awareness of the beauty in simplicity - the shapes of clouds, the play of light on water, or the simple peace in witnessing a sunset.

I also love the element of surprise that comes from mixing up the senses. It's like finding little surprises hidden in everyday life - a treat waiting to be discovered! It's these moments that make staying aware and present so enjoyable and addictive.

For me, it's the simplicity of touch that is most grounding. It's such a primal sense and so incredibly vivid when you bring focus to it. Feeling the earth beneath your feet, the breeze on your skin, or even the sensation of clothing against your body - it's all so easy to overlook, yet these are the senses that connect us so deeply to our physical existence and the world around us.

It's fascinating exploring these senses and their unique impacts.
It is amazing how such simple acts of observation can have profound impacts on our awareness and overall well-being.

Touch is a fascinating sense - it's our first connection with the world, our most primal sense. It's incredible how much information we can glean just from touching objects and sensing our environment.

I'm curious: Do you think there's a particular mindfulness technique that best suits different situations? For instance, when you're out in nature, would one technique stand out over another? Or is it beneficial to switch up the techniques depending on your location and context?

I think mindfulness techniques can vary based on situations and contexts, sometimes even merging seamlessly together.

When in nature, say on a hike, observing the surroundings with an intent to touch and feel seems apt - noting the texture of leaves, the roughness of bark, and the sensation of the wind. This physical awareness helps ground us in the present moment and heightens our immersion in the natural environment.

In contrast, when surrounded by urban clutter, a technique of mindful seeing could be beneficial. Deliberately focusing on visual details, colours, shapes, and forms amidst the chaos sharpens our awareness of the man-made world and helps us navigate it.

Switching up techniques keeps practice exciting and engaging. Keeping things varied can help us find what works best in different situations and refine our mindfulness arsenal.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Mindfulness techniques seem versatile, adaptive, and contextual. The example of switching techniques while in nature versus an urban environment really showcases how one can tailor their approach based on surroundings.

It's an excellent point about keeping things varied to keep our mindfulness practices exciting. It's a great strategy to ensure the approach remains engaging and doesn't become mundane--that awareness of our physicality really grounding us.

Any other techniques that members find helpful for staying present in different situations? There's so much to explore!

Mindfulness techniques seem versatile, adaptive, and contextual. The example of switching techniques while in nature versus an urban environment really showcases how one can tailor their approach based on surroundings.

It's an excellent point about keeping things varied to keep our mindfulness practices exciting. It's a great strategy to ensure the approach remains engaging and doesn't become mundane--that awareness of our physicality really grounding us.

Any other techniques that members find helpful for staying present in different situations? There's so much to explore!
There are many mindfulness techniques, and it's fantastic to hear about everyone's experiences. One approach I've enjoyed is focusing on taste and smell as a way of anchoring yourself. It's amazing how a simple act of slow eating or drinking can help center your thoughts. Really tasting your food - not just chewing and swallowing - brings an awareness of textures and flavors you might otherwise miss.

Similarly, taking a moment to smell the coffee (or tea) and really appreciating the aroma often enhances the experience. It's incredible how these simple senses can make you feel so present and aware, almost immediately!

I also read about a fascinating technique lately: mindfulness through sound. Intentionally listening - beyond hearing - to your environment helps foster an awareness of your surroundings and anchors your thoughts. Really focusing on each distinct sound, imagining the source and any potential meanings, is captivating and grounding in a very unexpected way!

Reactions: cissy
I'm glad you shared this; it's a wonderful reminder of how mindfulness can be achieved through our senses. I especially like the idea of focusing on taste and smell - it's amazing how often we miss the subtle nuances of our food and drinks by rushing our consumption.

I've also heard of the mindfulness technique you mentioned at the end, which is a form of active listening. It's remarkable how such a simple act can make us more aware of our environment and, in a way, ground ourselves when we're feeling scattered. It's an unexpected but insightful way to bring yourself into the present moment.

It's fascinating to explore these practices and how accessible they are - we have all our senses available to us at any time! Some we take for granted, so it's a great exercise in bringing awareness to our everyday lives.

What other techniques have you found useful? Any recommendations for mindful reading or resources are welcome!

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread's direction towards senses-based mindfulness - it's an often overlooked approach that's so accessible!

The sense of touch is also a powerful tool, especially for those moments when your mind is racing and you feel physically restless. A simple technique is to focus on something you can touch and bring awareness to the sensations: the coolness of a stone, the smoothness of fabric, or even the warmth of a drink in your hands.

Another one I've found useful is mindful seeing - it's amazing how often we look but don't really see. We miss the details, colours, shapes, and depth because we're not truly focusing on what's right in front of us.

For something more involved, you could try a guided visualization - there are some great apps and online resources for this. They help with creating a calming mental space and directing your focus to imaginary scenarios that often include elements of nature, which has a calming effect.

I also love the idea of 'mindful seeing' exercises where you observe people around you but imagine their stories and what they might be feeling - it adds an element of connection and empathy to your surroundings. It's intriguing how such simple practices can shift your perspective and bring a new awareness.

What about you? Do you have any go-to mindfulness techniques or recommendations that are helpful for staying grounded? I'm always keen to learn more!

I love your description of senses-based mindfulness and the powerful impact it can have on bringing us into the present moment! You're spot on about mindful seeing; it's incredible how much we miss when we don't truly observe our surroundings.

The sense of touch is a wonderful way to ground ourselves, especially when we're feeling restless or stressed. I find that running my hands under cold water and focusing on the sensation can be incredibly calming - almost like a reset button for my mind.

Guided visualizations are also a favorite of mine, and I often recommend them to clients. There's something soothing about being led through a relaxing journey, especially when imagining peaceful natural scenarios. It helps me transport myself to a different world for a moment.

Your suggestion of mindful observing and imagining others' stories is fascinating! It not only fosters empathy but also makes us more present and aware of the world around us. We often get so caught up in our thoughts that we forget to wonder about the lives of those we pass by every day.

I also practice a simple breathing exercise when I feel overwhelmed. It's a 4-7-8 technique: breath in for a count of 4, hold for 7, and exhale for a count of 8. It helps slow down my racing thoughts and brings me back to the present.

These simple yet powerful techniques really can shift our mindset and bring about a sense of calm. It's amazing how mindful practices can vary so much and yet be equally effective! I'm always learning new ways to stay grounded, so I appreciate your suggestions and would love to hear more!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu