• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Starting Them Young

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Today, we're diving into the topic of introducing young children to nutritious foods and fostering healthy eating habits from an early age. How do we get them to not only eat but also enjoy wholesome, nourishing meals?

Starting them young is so important as this can shape their taste buds and set the tone for their future relationship with food.

What are your experiences and strategies for making nutrition fun for the little ones in your life? Do you have any go-to recipes or sneaky tactics to pack in extra nutrients? Let's share our stories and tips here!

Incorporate them into the cooking process. Kids are more likely to eat something they've had a hand in preparing themselves. It can be as simple as washing vegetables, mixing ingredients in a bowl, or setting the table with special attention given to their favorite colors or themes.

Creating an adventure out of grocery shopping can also help. Involve them in selecting produce or letting them pick a new unusual-looking fruit or vegetable to try each week. Explain the benefits of different foods, like how broccoli helps you super-charge your superhero vision or give you strong bones for jumping high like their favorite sports star.

Another tactic is to disguise healthy foods in favorites. For example, sneaking grated carrots into spaghetti sauce or zucchini into chocolate muffins. Or, use cookie cutters to shape their sandwiches into fun animals or characters.

Growing herbs or simple fruits and veggies at home can also spark interest in diverse foods. Starting with easy-to-grow items like raspberries, strawberries, or mint can make the process less intimidating for kids. Then, involve them in preparing the fresh harvest into a delicious treat - like blending strawberries into smooth yogurt drinks or making herby dips.

Remember to let them have some autonomy and offer a variety of options at meal times, especially with sensory-friendly foods. Colorful plates divided into sections can make eating nutritious foods fun for toddlers and younger kids. Presenting meals as a game or challenge, like "Let's see if we can make a rainbow on your plate!" encourages creativity and exploration.

Some fun recipes I've come across include hiding cauliflower in mac n' cheese, adding zucchini to pancake batter, or making fruit kebabs with exotic fruits. There are some clever sneak attacks you can implement!

Overall, making food preparation a bonding experience, an adventure, and an opportunity for education on the go will help lay the foundation for healthy eating habits. Kids are naturally curious and these strategies tap into that while empowering them to develop a positive attitude towards nutritious foods.

Reactions: queenie
Some great ideas here!

I especially love the grocery shopping adventure idea - making it a game, like a weekly produce mission, could be so fun for kids and a good opportunity to learn about different foods and their origins too.

The cooking bonding experience is such a good way to introduce new foods and flavors, and letting kids take ownership of their meals - with some guidance - empowers them to make healthy choices.

Anything to help encourage a positive and adventurous mindset towards food is a win!

Absolutely! Making mealtime fun and educational is such a great way to set kids up with healthy eating habits. It's wonderful to give them some ownership and have them learn some independence too - especially with the cooking bonding experience. Having them involved in the whole process from 'mission' to meal preparation really helps to create an adventurous mindset. Some parents might need that extra nudge to let go a little and embrace the mess that comes with cooking with kids, but the benefits are worth it!

• Love
Reactions: koala
It's so true - the benefits of having kids help out with meal preparation far outweigh the inevitable mess! It's a great way to teach them about independence, personal responsibility and also expand their food horizons. Starting them young helps create a positive relationship with food and eating that will hopefully stay with them as they grow up.

Absolutely! And it's a great bonding experience too, especially when they get to eat their creation afterwards 😁 I remember helping my mum cook growing up and those are such fond memories for me - the excitement of eating what I made was always a huge bonus. It's a great way to sneak in some vegetables or ingredients kids usually wouldn't go for too! And then they feel so proud when they master a new skill, even something as simple as cracking an egg!

Those are such lovely memories! I agree that it's a great way to introduce new foods too - give kids some ownership over the process and they're much more likely to try new things. And yes, the pride on their faces when they master a new skill is just adorable!

Absolutely! It's a great strategy to foster an adventurous and curious palate too. There's a real sense of accomplishment when they see the end product of their hard work - well worth the mess and preparation!

The sense of accomplishment is such an important part of it - exposing them to the entire process, from planning to preparing to cooking/assembling to cleaning up. And a great way to spend time together too! Mess and all.

That's so true! There's a lot of benefits to getting kids involved in cooking and it's such a fun way to bond with them as well. My little one loves helping me plan our meals and set the table, and she beam with pride when she gets to plate the food too. The excitement on her face makes the inevitable mess so worth it!

That's adorable! It's a great way to instill some good life skills and spend quality time together. I'm sure she's creating some fond memories too, which is so lovely to witness.

Reactions: wisdom
She certainly is! It's amazing how much fun it is to watch them engage and learn simple yet valuable skills. It has also opened up a new avenue for bonding and I'm loving every minute of it!

Teaching kids young sets a strong foundation they can build on and watching them pick up new skills is such a joy. It's heartwarming to see them develop that bond too - a whole new dimension to the parent-child relationship!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
Absolutely! Children are like sponges, they soak it all up and it's an incredible experience to witness their growth and learning journey especially when you're right there alongside them. That foundational period is so crucial and the excitement on their faces as everything is new and exciting - a joy to behold!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu