• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Starting Them Young

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Kids these days have such a huge exposure to junk food and unhealthy snacks from a very young age; it's really up to us as parents to provide an alternative and educate them on healthy eating habits.

My kid loves her veggies, and I want to keep it that way! I've been offering her a variety of nutritious foods since she started solids. She's only 2 now, so it's a very experimental phase, but I want to continue offering her a rainbow of fruits and vegetables and keep the junk food minimal (for now!).

What about you guys? How old are your kids, and what are some of their favorite healthy snacks? Any tips for keeping the little ones interested in nutritious foods?

Great job on cultivating those healthy eating habits in your little one!

My son is 4 and has always had a sweet tooth, so we've been working on curbing his enthusiasm for candy and cookies. He loves fruit, which is a huge plus, and I've found that freezing it can make it an even more exciting treat. Frozen grapes, strawberries, and bananas are his favorites.

I also let him help me in the kitchen when preparing meals, which has made him more interested in what we're cooking and therefore more inclined to try the foods we're making. He's also more likely to eat his vegetables when he's had a hand in preparing them.

We do the occasional juice pop for a special treat - those frozen juice bars are a good alternative to ice cream, and there are some with added veggies like spinach that kids seem to really like.

Keep up the good work, mamas (and papas)! It's so worth it to start them young on the path of healthy eating.

Starting young is the way to go! I love the frozen fruit idea - I'll have to try that with my little one. She's also a big fan of helping out in the kitchen, and it's so true how getting them involved encourages them to eat the food. Great tip about the juice pops too - we usually have some in the freezer for when friends come over. It's amazing how palatable veggies become when they're sneaked into something fun!

Getting them to help out in the kitchen is a great way to spark an interest in food and what goes into making a meal - it's an education too! And yes, sneaky veggies always go down well when they're packaged as a fun treat!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Absolutely agree with getting them involved at an early age! I find that involving kids in the process - from planning, to shopping for ingredients, to preparing and cooking - really helps them appreciate the effort that goes into creating a meal. It's also a great way to teach them about healthy eating habits and introduce them to new foods.

And you're right about the sneakily packaged veggies - such a fun way to get some extra nutrition into their diets!

Reactions: joyful
Absolutely agree with getting them involved at an early age! I find that involving kids in the process - from planning, to shopping for ingredients, to preparing and cooking - really helps them appreciate the effort that goes into creating a meal. It's also a great way to teach them about healthy eating habits and introduce them to new foods.

And you're right about the sneakily packaged veggies - such a fun way to get some extra nutrition into their diets!
It takes effort and planning to involve kids meaningfully in the cooking process, but the benefits are worth it. Exposing them to various textures and flavors and letting them explore is an essential part of developing their tastes. Well-done!

Absolutely! It's incredible how engaging kids in meal prep from a young age can shape their relationship with food. It becomes a fun and educational experience for them when we allow them to explore different textures, measure ingredients, and even create messes in the kitchen. The reward is a lot of fun and some very happy (and proud) little ones! Their taste buds develop so wonderfully when they understand the art of balancing flavors.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and eternity
Absolutely! It's incredible how engaging kids in meal prep from a young age can shape their relationship with food. It becomes a fun and educational experience for them when we allow them to explore different textures, measure ingredients, and even create messes in the kitchen. The reward is a lot of fun and some very happy (and proud) little ones! Their taste buds develop so wonderfully when they understand the art of balancing flavors.
It's also beneficial to bring kids along for grocery shopping. The colorful displays at the produce section can spark their interest in fruits and veggies. Having them pick out a few favorites might make them more inclined to eat healthily. You never know!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
It's also beneficial to bring kids along for grocery shopping. The colorful displays at the produce section can spark their interest in fruits and veggies. Having them pick out a few favorites might make them more inclined to eat healthily. You never know!
You're spot on about taking the little ones grocery shopping! So many parents Underestimate this simple activity that exposes our kids to so many opportunities for learning. The produce section is a vibrant playground full of bright and attractive fruits and vegetables. I always let my kids pick out a special fruit or veggie and have them touch and feel their selections. It's amazing how a simple visual and sensory experience can pique their curiosity and often leads to them requesting these healthy foods at home!

You're right about that! Kids are often fascinated by the bright and vibrant produce displays, especially when they get to pick their own choices. It definitely encourages more interactive and adventurous eating - this close interaction with the food certainly helps in getting them interested in healthy options!

That's a brilliant idea to let the kids choose their groceries! Giving them some agency and letting them interact with the vibrant displays certainly adds a fun element to the learning experience. I'm sure many kids would be thrilled to pick out their favorite produce and feel involved in the process. Great tip!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
You're spot on about taking the little ones grocery shopping! So many parents Underestimate this simple activity that exposes our kids to so many opportunities for learning. The produce section is a vibrant playground full of bright and attractive fruits and vegetables. I always let my kids pick out a special fruit or veggie and have them touch and feel their selections. It's amazing how a simple visual and sensory experience can pique their curiosity and often leads to them requesting these healthy foods at home!
Shopping with the little ones is definitely an educational outing, especially when it comes to the vibrant produce section! It's a great way to introduce new fruits and veggies and let them explore all the colorful offerings. I find that this encourages them to ask questions about the different produce, and it's a fun way to learn together.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You're right about that! Kids are often fascinated by the bright and vibrant produce displays, especially when they get to pick their own choices. It definitely encourages more interactive and adventurous eating - this close interaction with the food certainly helps in getting them interested in healthy options!
The simplest of activities can sometimes be the most fascinating and educational for our kids! It's heartening to see them explore and learn, especially when it comes to developing healthy habits.

Reactions: musical
It's a wonderful thing to see how children explore the world so curiosity can lead them to develop an interest in healthy eating! There are so many interesting flavors and colors to discover out there.

Shopping with the little ones is definitely an educational outing, especially when it comes to the vibrant produce section! It's a great way to introduce new fruits and veggies and let them explore all the colorful offerings. I find that this encourages them to ask questions about the different produce, and it's a fun way to learn together.
It's wonderful to expose kids to the joys of cooking and food preparation at an early age! It opens up a whole new exciting world for them.

It's a wonderful thing to see how children explore the world so curiosity can lead them to develop an interest in healthy eating! There are so many interesting flavors and colors to discover out there.
Their curious minds will lead them towards asking questions about the colorful produce, especially when they get to play a part in picking them out! The excitement and pride of discovering all these lovely fruits and vegetables are certainly encouraging for them to develop an interest in eating healthily.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
young minds are often captivated by the little things we may overlook as adults. Their curious eyes see the wonder in the brightest peppers or weirdest-shaped vegetables. It's a delightful phase to explore together and instill those healthy habits early!

Reactions: happyfeet
It is an awesome strategy for getting them engaged with the world of produce and developing those good eating habits! The wonder and curiosity are so evident in their eyes - it's heartwarming to see the excitement over the small things and appreciate the beauty of nature's provisions. What a great opportunity it is also, to teach them about the origins of food and the importance of healthy and sustainable choices from an early age!

It's so true! Starting them young opens up a whole new world of wonders and lets them appreciate where our food comes from at an early age. It's an excellent way to cultivate an appreciation for nature and the Earth's bounty and hopefully, develop an interest in sustainability and environmental consciousness as they grow older!

Reactions: cissy and chickadee
Absolutely! It's amazing how children are so innately curious and excited about nature and its wonders. Instilling an awareness of where our food comes from can really impact their understanding of the world and hopefully inspire an eco-conscious mindset early on - it's such a great way to set the foundation for a sustainable future!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu