• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Special Needs Raising Children

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'll start with my own experiences of raising two kids who have developmental delays and physical disabilities. Their ages are 7 and 4. My main concern is their independence, which seems to be linked to getting them involved in activities outside normal routines.

They're both attached to familiar things like a specific toy that one child plays with when he's upset or my daughter's blankets. I've been trying to find ways for them to interact with other kids and maybe learn through social interaction. This has been challenging due in part to their sensitivities.

When we do try new experiences, my children sometimes get overwhelmed quickly. They might have meltdowns that are stressful to manage, especially if it's in a public place.

My question is, what strategies or activities have worked well for you when trying to increase your child's independence and social interactions?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I've found that creating a 'home routine' first has helped with transitions. For example, we have a specific way of leaving our house for appointments or playdates. We also have visual schedules and a daily routine chart to make things feel more predictable.

It's also been helpful to start small when introducing new experiences or activities in low-stimulation environments. This could be as simple as going to the park then taking a break if needed, rather than trying something too big for our kids' emotional regulation capacity.

When my children do get overwhelmed, our go-to strategies are deep pressure and listening to calming music together. These might not work every time, but they've been helpful in reducing meltdowns.

We also try to focus on individual interests when introducing new activities or experiences. This can help make things feel more manageable and less overwhelming. By linking something we're already comfortable with to the new activity, it makes it easier for my children to engage with others while staying within their comfort zones.'

Your ideas remind me of teaching my child to use a visual checklist before activities outside the home, which can help them prepare for sensory changes and transitions.

In my experience, making a 'sensory plan' before outings has been helpful in reducing overwhelm. This has included discussing and planning what to expect at various places, such as the park or playground where there may be loud noises and crowds of people. This preparation helps our child feel more prepared for and in control of their environment.

It's also interesting that you mention deep pressure and calming music as strategies to manage meltdowns. We use similar approaches, including hugging and joint stretching exercises. While these might not work every time either, they have been useful in helping my child calm down when overwhelmed.

I think it's great that you focus on individual interests when introducing new activities or experiences. For our child, being interested in something specific has helped them engage with others who share the same interest.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
I think it's wonderful that you've found strategies that work for your family, and it's great to hear that our ideas are relatable. The concept of a 'sensory plan' is particularly intriguing, as it highlights the importance of preparation and communication when exploring new environments with children who have special needs.

As you mentioned, preparing our kids for transitions and sensory experiences can make a huge difference in their comfort levels and ability to navigate potentially overwhelming situations. It's great that you've developed strategies like discussing expectations before outings to help your child feel more in control of their environment.

I also appreciate you sharing about using deep pressure and calming music as tools to manage meltdowns. While these approaches may not work every time, they can be incredibly effective in helping our kids calm down when feeling overwhelmed. The importance of self-regulation strategies like hugging and joint stretching exercises is something I will definitely consider implementing with my own child.

In terms of exploring individual interests, it's been fantastic to see how this approach has helped your child connect with others who share their passions. This highlights the significance of tapping into our kids' unique interests and strengths when introducing new activities or experiences. It can help foster a sense of excitement and anticipation, which is vital for developing meaningful connections with others and building confidence in ourselves.

I think it's wonderful that you've found strategies that work for your family, and it's great to hear that our ideas are relatable. The concept of a 'sensory plan' is particularly intriguing, as it highlights the importance of preparation and communication when exploring new environments with children who have special needs.

As you mentioned, preparing our kids for transitions and sensory experiences can make a huge difference in their comfort levels and ability to navigate potentially overwhelming situations. It's great that you've developed strategies like discussing expectations before outings to help your child feel more in control of their environment.

I also appreciate you sharing about using deep pressure and calming music as tools to manage meltdowns. While these approaches may not work every time, they can be incredibly effective in helping our kids calm down when feeling overwhelmed. The importance of self-regulation strategies like hugging and joint stretching exercises is something I will definitely consider implementing with my own child.

In terms of exploring individual interests, it's been fantastic to see how this approach has helped your child connect with others who share their passions. This highlights the significance of tapping into our kids' unique interests and strengths when introducing new activities or experiences.'

I completely agree that preparing for transitions and sensory experiences is crucial for children with special needs. In fact, I've found that creating a "sensory plan" for each outing helps my child feel more secure and in control.

One strategy that's been surprisingly effective for us is discussing expectations before we go out. We'll talk about the sounds, smells, and sensations our child might experience in different environments, and often, they feel more prepared to face new situations. This open communication has helped them develop self-regulation skills and manage anxiety more effectively.

In terms of coping with meltdowns, deep pressure and calming music have been game-changers for us. While it's not always possible to predict when our child might become overwhelmed, these tools can help calm them down quickly. I've also found that hugging and joint stretching exercises can be incredibly soothing when they're feeling stressed.

I'm intrigued by your idea of tapping into individual interests as a way to connect with others who share those passions. My child has always responded well to activities related to their interests, and it's amazing how this approach can help them build relationships and engage more deeply with their community.'

Speaking of discussing expectations before going out, I've found that using visuals like pictures or videos to prepare my child for certain transitions or experiences can also help them feel more prepared and secure. This way, we can show them what's happening next and they can get a better sense of what to expect.

It's really great to hear that deep pressure and calming music have been helpful in managing meltdowns for your family. I've found that finding different triggers or catalysts for calming can be really personal, and it's wonderful that you're able to identify what works best for your child.

How do you incorporate individual interests into everyday activities or outings? Are there specific strategies you use to help your child connect with others who share those passions?'

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu