• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Some fun, enriching extracurriculars that your child will enjoy!

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! 🧡

As parents and caregivers, we always want to provide our children with exciting and educational activities outside of school. Luckily, there is a wide variety of extracurricular options available these days!

From sports to arts and everything in between, the possibilities are endless! So let's share some fun and enriching extracurricular activities that our little ones love! It would be amazing to hear about the different opportunities that other kids get up to and maybe we can discover something new too.

I'll go first! My 8 year old recently joined an after-school gardening club and loves it! Each week, they learn about different plants, help with the planting and tending of the school garden, and even have a mini market where they can sell their fresh produce! It's such a lovely way for kids to connect with nature, learn about the environment, and gain some responsibility too.

What fun activities does your child enjoy? Any recommendations for us? 😊

Hello everyone! 🧡

As parents and caregivers, we always want to provide our children with exciting and educational activities outside of school. Luckily, there is a wide variety of extracurricular options available these days!

From sports to arts and everything in between, the possibilities are endless! So let's share some fun and enriching extracurricular activities that our little ones love! It would be amazing to hear about the different opportunities that other kids get up to and maybe we can discover something new too.

I'll go first! My 8 year old recently joined an after-school gardening club and loves it! Each week, they learn about different plants, help with the planting and tending of the school garden, and even have a mini market where they can sell their fresh produce! It's such a lovely way for kids to connect with nature, learn about the environment, and gain some responsibility too.

My 7 year old son is an aspiring little artist so he enjoys any opportunity to draw, paint or sculpt! The young Picasso participates in a weekly art class where he explores different mediums and develops his skills. He also joins a local community club offering a variety of programs such as basketball and cooking - his favourite! These activities allow him to socialize, learn new skills, and discover interests outside the academic setting.

What other hidden talents do your children have that can be developed further?

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello! How nice of you to share your little one's gardening club experience - it sounds lovely! connecting with nature at a young age is indeed enchanting and educational.

My three-year-old son goes to a weekly art class held in a nearby community center. The teacher is amazing, very patient, and creative. She exposes the children to different art genres, cultures, and techniques like painting, drawing, origami, and even simple pottery! Art appreciation starts young, and my child really enjoys the classes, especially the social aspect of it too. He comes home with his little crafts proudly displayed in a show-and-tell style and sets them up everywhere! It's adorable!

I've also heard great things about the coding and robotics club down at the library but haven't enrolled him yet. I think he's still a bit young, and I want to wait until he shows more interest in techy stuff, which will happen eventually since both his parents are into tech!

There's indeed so many choices nowadays. It's heartening to see schools and organizations providing all these fun, stimulating options beyond the academics. Makes me curious to know what other parents recommend too!

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hey, that's a really cute and interesting extracurricular activity for your little one! Gardening is a wonderful way to bond with nature and also sneak in some math and science lessons!

My 2-year-old tot loves Music Class. You know those Baby Music Groups you see at shopping malls? He enjoys the singing, especially the action songs with big movements that he can jump and dance along to. I like how it's teaching him about rhythm and sounds, and it's a great avenue for his boundless energy. Plus, it's a good opportunity for him to socialize too since he doesn't attend school yet.

I'm curious if anyone else has recommendations for toddler-friendly extracurriculars! Would love to hear about some unique ones! 😀

Hello everyone! 🧡

My 6-year-old girl attends a weekly drama class which she really enjoys. It helps her overcome her shyness and also lets her flex her creative muscles -- something that's usually not possible in the conventional school curriculum these days.

There's also this really cool mobile app, called "Junior Engineers", that offers step-by-step instructions on simple robotics and engineering projects for kids using everyday materials. My son is into anything robotic and really enjoys building his own creations out of recycled materials, following the app's guides. It's a great way to promote creativity and eco-consciousness!

Does anyone else have recommendations for cool apps or tech-related extracurriculars? The future is indeed exciting!

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello! How nice it is to share our little ones' activities and find new inspirations! After-school gardening club sounds like a wonderful initiative; it's a great way to introduce kids to the joys of horticulture and also teach them about the importance of sustainability and caring for the environment.

My 6 year old daughter enjoys an afterschool art class which she's been attending since she was 4. The focus is on process art, where the emphasis is on the creative journey rather than creating a specific outcome. The teachers set up a different art station with various materials like paints, pastels, collaging items, and more, and the kids are free to explore and create at their own pace. It's amazing to see the unique and creative artwork that she comes up with, and it's a wonderful way for her to develop her fine motor skills and visual perception.

At home, we also do a lot of crafting and baking together as a family on the weekends. Crafting has helped my children develop patience and spatial awareness, and baking is a fun way to learn about measurements and following instructions, not to mention the tasty rewards! We recently made paper bag puppets, which was a huge hit with both my son and daughter.

I'm keen to hear more about other kids' activities too, especially sports-related ones, for some inspiration!

Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone! 🧡

Hi there! I'm Bookworm, a single mom and librarian living in AMK. My little one is only 3, but he's been enjoying his weekly music class. He gets to play with instruments, sing, and dance. It's a great way to keep him engaged and expose him to the wonders of music.

The library also runs a monthly storytime session, which is a hit among the little ones. It's a cozy gathering where we sit and enjoy stories, fostering a love for books and reading. And it's free! My son enjoys the rhymes and interactive elements.

These activities are a great way to bond with other kids and discover new interests. :)

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello! My son really enjoyed his karate classes. He started when he was 6 and is now a yellow belt. It's great to channel his energy into learning self-defence and the discipline needed in martial arts. I also feel that it's an underrated sport that can really build a child's confidence, especially during their awkward phases!

Are there any other parents who agree? Or perhaps your kids enjoy another type of physical activity?

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello! How nice to hear that your 8-year-old is enjoying the after-school gardening club so much! It's a great way to develop an early love and appreciation for nature.

My little one is also into arts and crafts; painting, drawing, and anything involving glitter and glue. She's only four, so it's very much about exploring different textures and being creative rather than focusing on any particular skill. She loves the process and the excitement of showing off her creations!

We also signed her up for swimming lessons last year. She wasn't a fan at first, but now she's becoming more confident in the water and enjoys her time there, splashing about and making friends. It's a great exercise, and I'm hoping she'll eventually develop a passion for sports.

I think it's essential to expose them to different activities and let them find their interests. You never know; they might just surprise you!

Hello everyone! 🧡

My little one loves baking! We started with simple tasks like mixing and kneading, and now he's progressed to decorating cakes and cookies at his weekly baking class. It's a great way to teach him about measurements, patience (the dough has to rest!), and of course, hygiene and safety in the kitchen. The best part is seeing him enjoy his yummy creations afterward!

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello there! My little one is into dance. She loves twirling around the living room, and after school, she goes straight to her dance studio for some ballet and jazz fun. It's a great way to keep her active, and she's made some nice friends there too.

It's a win-win situation because I get some me-time while she's at dance class, and we both enjoy the performances--a chance to dress up and make memories!

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hello there! How about an introduction to coding? There are plenty of kid-friendly applications and robots that make learning code a fun and creative adventure. My daughter enjoys using these apps which teach coding fundamentals through interactive puzzles and games. She's too young to grasp the concept now, but I'm hoping it will help her develop some logical thinking skills and perhaps spark an interest in technology.

Some of these activities might be a great way to expose kids to new possibilities and who knows, discover their passion!

Hello everyone! 🧡

My little one is super creative so he enjoys anything art-related! We've been having fun exploring different mediums - from painting with watercolors to molding clay sculptures. But his recent favorite is comic book illustration. There's a great workshop near us that teaches kids how to create their own mini comic books, and he just loves it! He gets to make up his own super heroes and stories, and learns drawing skills too.
It's a great way to develop his imagination and fine motor skills, and he enjoys the independence of creating his own little world 😁.

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hey there! My 6-year-old son is really into robots and gadgets. He recently started attending a weekly STEM club where kids get introduced to basic engineering principles and make cool stuff with recycled materials. It's amazing to see their little minds at work coming up with innovative creations!

The club encourages teamwork and helps develop those crucial problem solving skills. Plus, it caters to their short attention spans and need for hands-on fun. Would highly recommend checking out STEM programs if your kids are into gadgets and gizmos too!

Hello everyone! 🧡

My 4-year-old son goes on a mini adventure every week! He joins a forest kindergarten group where they explore a different park or nature reserve each time. The leaders set up fun, sensory-rich activities with natural materials like leaves, sticks, and mud. It's amazing to see how these simple, earthy experiences captivate kids' imaginations.

There are so many benefits to exploring nature with purpose, it definitely adds a fun twist to the typical park visit and teaches him about the environment too.

Hello everyone! 🧡

Hey, that sounds like an interesting club that your 8-year-old has joined! It's quite the little adventure, learning about different plants and earning some pocket money at the end too.

My young one is into art and everything crafty. After school, she attends a local Art Club where they experiment with different mediums like painting, drawing, origami, and even clay work. It's awesome because it combines learning with fun, plus it keeps her engaged and entertained after a long day at school. They also organize little exhibitions where the kids showcase their artwork, which serves as a huge confidence booster for them!

At the weekends, we also attend this family-oriented martial arts class. It's a great way to stay active and learn self-defense moves too. The classes are designed for all ages so it's fun for both parent and child. It's an added bonus that we get to bond through these physical activities!

Hello everyone! 🧡

My son didn't get into any fancy extracurricular activity. At 18, he's obsessed with gaming and anything IT-related. I don't see that as a waste though, because these days, coding and computing skills are becoming increasingly useful, not just for the typical tech jobs but also in unexpected fields like healthcare and finance.

As for your gardening club, it certainly sounds like a lovely way to attract the green-fingered children who might otherwise be too shy to talk to each other!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu