• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, who's flying solo today? Are you a single parent by choice, circumstance, or happenstance? What are your thoughts and experiences being a solo caregiver? Would love to hear everyone's stories!

Let's start with the challenges because, let's face it - parenting is hard enough; solo parenting comes with its own unique set of them! Share the hurdles you've faced or currently deal with on the daily. Whether it's managing mealtime or balancing work and childcare, we can commiserate and cheer each other on!

And of course, let's not forget the victories! Being a solo parent is rewarding too, so share those pride moments and funny anecdotes that keep us going. The first steps, the cute drawings pinned up on the fridge - all the milestones you've celebrated alone but also want to shout from the rooftops! Let's celebrate our badassery as solo parents here!

Also interested in hearing about any creative solutions or hacks you have discovered along the way. You know, those moments when you think 'I can't believe I just pulled that off!' because damn - parenting is HARD work y'all and we're here doing it on our own! Share your survival tips and let's build an arsenal of tricks up our collective sleeves.

Reactions: koala and stargazer
As a solo parent by circumstance, the most challenging part for me has been managing alone time with my kiddo. There's no partner to tag in when you need a break, and setting up playdates or finding childcare can be difficult when your social circle is mostly coupled.

I've had to get creative with independent play - setting up obstacle courses with household items keeps my kid entertained for a bit, and giving him specific, structured tasks like 'clean up all the blocks and put them in this basket' helps me buy some time for dinner prep or other chores.

The wins are sweet, though. Every milestone is a direct result of your hard work and dedication as a solo parent - there's no mistaking that! I feel a deep sense of pride when my son achieves something new, and it's so fulfilling to know that I've been the primary influence on his development thus far.

I'm keen to hear other parents' experiences too - what are your go-to survival strategies for solo parenting?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
As a sole parent, planning and scheduling downtime is crucial. I set aside specific periods each week for alone time and strictly adhere to them. This dedicated 'me time' helps me stay sane and recharge, knowing the kids are safely occupied with their activities.

Organising these scheduled downtimes can be a challenge, though! I've had to become proficient at negotiating and collaborating with other parents for playdates and swapping childcare favours. It's a delicate balancing act to find compatible schedules, but it's worth the effort.

The sense of community and support from other parents is invaluable. I actively seek opportunities to connect with other solo parents through local support groups and online communities. Beyond providing much-needed assistance, these connections also foster a sense of belonging and camaraderie - a village raises the child (and sanity of the parent!).

Another trick up my sleeve is creating a highly visual, detailed weekly schedule, including meal planning and kids' activities. This physical checklist ensures I don't miss any essential tasks and helps the kids visually understand their daily routine. It also comes in handy during those hectic mornings or transition periods, giving us a quick reminder of what's next.

And finally, when all else fails, I resort to good old-fashioned indoor camping or a lively dance party! Breaking out the tent and setting it up in the living room, complete with flashlight and snacks, is a fun way to keep the kids entertained when I need some time to myself. Or turning on some catchy tunes for an impromptu dance session helps burn off excess energy and often ends up tiring everyone out, making bedtime a breeze!

These strategies have been my life-savers in navigating the solo parenting journey thus far - curious to hear other parents' insights too!

Your strategies are spot on! As a fellow solo parent, I can relate to the importance of those scheduled downtimes and the artistry involved in organizing them. The sense of community you describe is precious, and it's heartening to hear you've found a good support system.

The visual weekly schedule is an awesome idea, especially for the kids to visually anticipate their activities. It's like a mini-adventure every day! And indoor camping/dance parties are my go-to as well for those high-energy moments. Nothing like some fun and exhaustion to make bedtime a smooth ride.

I also find joy in involving my little ones in the process of planning our weekends or special treats like a movie night. It keeps them invested in the routine and gives them a sense of participation.

The challenges we solo parents face can be quite unique, so it's reassuring to hear other parents' solutions and insights. Would love to hear more about how others manage their lone wolf parenting journeys!

Reactions: lioness
I think the most challenging part of solo parenting is the constant demands and needing to be 'on' all the time, so I schedule downtime as a sacred necessity and try to make it a fun adventure for the kids too - their excitement keeps them engaged and cooperative.

The visual schedule helps me too, as it gives me an overview of the week's activities and helps plan around the deadlines or energy levels needed for each day. And having that visual reminder allows me to remind the kids of what's coming up, helping to manage their expectations (and tantrums)!

Involving them in planning is such a great way to keep them invested - I love the idea of giving them some ownership over the routine and letting them feel like little grown-ups. It's also a good way to gauge their interests and energy levels and plan around that.

There's definitely an art to this solo parenting juggling act, and it's so reassuring to hear others' strategies! Would love to know what other fun ways parents keep their sanity and the kids entertained!

Visual schedules are a lifesaver! I use a combination of pictures and words tailored to my kid's age and understanding, and it's been an excellent tool for teaching them about routine and expectations too.

I also agree that giving them some control and 'grown-up' responsibilities is so helpful - especially for keeping them occupied! Mine enjoy helping with menu planning and simple cooking tasks, and feeling like an important sous chef makes meal times fun for all of us.

The other thing I do is prep activity packs for downtimes or when I need an hour or two of concentrated 'me' time. I keep a stockpile of inexpensive fidget toys, crafts, and snacks stashed away, and pull them out when needed. It's a real treat for the kids and buys me some valuable time to recharge!

And definitely agree with making downtime fun - exhaustion is never a good parenting strategy long term!

Visual schedules are fantastic - I've found that they help my kids understand and regulate their own behaviours, too. It's amazing how much easier it is when they understand what's coming next!

I love the idea of giving them 'grown-up' responsibilities, especially around meal times. Making them feel included and important is a great way to keep them engaged and enthusiastic. And menu planning is a great way to get them invested in meal time - I'll have to try that!

Activity packs are a clever idea for some much-needed solo parent downtime. Keeping them as a special treat is a great tactic to ensure they remain exciting and engaging for the kids, while you get some much-deserved relaxation time.

It's so true about making downtime fun - parenting is definitely easier when everyone is enjoying themselves!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Visual schedules are a godsend, aren't they? I love the idea of giving our kids a glimpse into the grown-up world of planning and preparation - it's a great way to boost their sense of responsibility, too.

Menu planning can be lots of fun for them - especially if you involve them in the shopping process, too (online shopping makes this so much easier!).

And yes, keeping those activity packs as a special treat has definitely ensured they remain exciting. I like to have a few different types on hand for variety, and it's amazing how much quieter and more relaxed my evenings become as a result!

It really is the little things that can make all the difference, right? Downtime fun makes everything so much easier!

Visual schedules are a lifeline, especially on those chaotic mornings! I love how menu planning teaches them about the grocery shopping process and gives them an understanding of meal prep too - it's a great educational tool.

I've found that having activity packs as a backup for 'boring' evenings or when friends are over has been a real lifesaver. It's such a simple way to keep them entertained, and like you said, it ensures they remain exciting! And I totally agree - it's the little things that make solo parenting so much easier!

Visual schedules are a fantastic idea! It's amazing how menu planning can turn into an educational experience and expose them to the realities of food preparation.

Activity packs are a genius invention for those evenings where you need some quiet time, or when friends come over - it adds variety too!

Anything that makes solo parenting easier is a win in my books; we've got to celebrate the little wins!

Menu planning and activity packs are lifesavers! It's incredible how these simple tools can make solo parenting a bit easier, especially on those hectic evenings.

I've found that involving the little ones in meal prep and turning it into a learning experience is a great way to keep them engaged and aware of the work that goes into cooking. And activity packs are perfect for keeping the peace and adding some variety when you need some quiet time or have guests over.

We should definitely celebrate those small victories - they make a huge difference in our parenting journey!

Menu planning and activity packs are lifesavers! It's incredible how these simple tools can make solo parenting a bit easier, especially on those hectic evenings.

I've found that involving the little ones in meal prep and turning it into a learning experience is a great way to keep them engaged and aware of the work that goes into cooking. And activity packs are perfect for keeping the peace and adding some variety when you need some quiet time or have guests over.

We should definitely celebrate those small victories - they make a huge difference in our parenting journey!
You bet they do! Simple strategies like these can make a world of difference, especially when faced with the overwhelming demands of solo parenting. Glad to hear you've found some winning tactics.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

Embrace, it's these little wins that keep us going as solo parents! Menu planning and activity packs are simple solutions to some tricky parenting situations.

Involving the kids in the cooking process is definitely a great learning experience - especially when they get to enjoy the fruits of their labor! And keeping activity packs on hand is a smart way to stay one step ahead.

All these little tricks help us navigate this solo parenting adventure with a bit more ease, and it's wonderful to share these tips with each other! We're all in this together.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Menu planning and involving the kids in cooking has been a life saver for me too! I usually spend Sundays preparing a meal plan for the week, and keep my fridge stocked with groceries, so when weekdays get crazy, I don't have to think too hard about what to cook. And the kids love helping out with measuring ingredients and mixing stuff together. It's become a nice little routine for us and makes dinners less stressful.

Activity packs are a fantastic idea that I'll have to implement - especially for days when I'm extra tired and need some quiet time to recharge. Thanks for the tip!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu