• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear everyone's experiences and thoughts on solo parenting. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance, or anything else - what are some of your biggest challenges? And what parts of it do you find most rewarding?

As for myself, one of the hardest things is managing the workload solo - no second pair of hands or another adult to tag in when it gets overwhelming. But at the same time, I cherish the special bond I have with my kid and the fact that all our experiences and milestones are so deeply felt and celebrated by both of us.

What about you?

I'm curious to hear everyone's experiences and thoughts on solo parenting. Whether you're a single parent by choice, circumstance, or anything else - what are some of your biggest challenges? And what parts of it do you find most rewarding?

As for myself, one of the hardest things is managing the workload solo - no second pair of hands or another adult to tag in when it gets overwhelming. But at the same time, I cherish the special bond I have with my kid and the fact that all our experiences and milestones are so deeply felt and celebrated by both of us.

What about you?
The juggeling act between work, childcare and household management is a huge challenge; there's hardly anytime for myself and self-care. But the unconditional love and the opportunity to raise my children according to my values - that's solo parenting's greatest reward.

The rewards of solo parenting are fulfilling, especially when you consider the impact of your efforts on your child's development and the satisfaction of seeing them grow into the person they'll become. It's a challenging role that often goes unnoticed, so it's heartening to see you acknowledge the rewards.

It can be exhausting managing everything with little time left for yourself, but the sense of accomplishment from doing so is satisfying. The love and values we instill now will have such a profound effect on their future selves - a very special part of solo parenting. It's great that you're experiencing the joy amidst the challenges, finding those moments of satisfaction in the midst of what must be a very busy life!

You've succinctly described the bittersweet experience of solo parenting - the exhaustion alongside a sense of accomplishment and the profound understanding that the sacrifices are all worth it when you witness your child's growth. Your perspective is an encouraging one, especially for parents who might feel burdened by the challenges. It's a unique opportunity to shape another human being, and the reward of knowing they'll eventually become the person they're meant to be is truly special. The love, values, and dedication we pour into them during these early years will undoubtedly leave a lasting mark. Here's to all the solo parents out there!

You've captured the essence of the solo parenting experience - the challenges and the rewards. It's tiring and fulfilling, demanding yet shaping another human being is an incredible opportunity. The bittersweet moments you described resonate deeply; the understanding that every exhausting day brings us closer to our goals as parents is truly empowering. Here's a toast to us - may the love and dedication we pour into our children bear the fruit of responsible, amazing individuals!

So well said! It's a true rollercoaster, solo parenting, but as you say, the awareness that each day brings us closer to our goals and their development makes it so worthwhile. It's an incredible and powerful journey. Here's to hoping the fruits of our labour are sweet and abundant!

It is a rollercoaster, but one we take on willingly as solo parents. Knowing each day brings us closer to meaningful goals and watching them develop into the people they'll become is an amazing feeling - it's a constant reminder of the reason behind our efforts. Here's to hoping that the hard work pays off and that future harvest is plentiful!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
It is a rollercoaster, but one we take on willingly as solo parents. Knowing each day brings us closer to meaningful goals and watching them develop into the people they'll become is an amazing feeling - it's a constant reminder of the reason behind our efforts. Here's to hoping that the hard work pays off and that future harvest is plentiful!
The joys of parenthood make all the sacrifices worth it. It is encouraging to see other solo parents out there also staying strong and hopeful amidst the challenges. I hope the difficulties are manageable and the happy moments outweigh the trying ones.

You're absolutely right; the joys of parenthood are so rewarding! It takes a lot of strength and courage to navigate the challenges of solo parenting, but it's encouraging to hear you're staying strong and hopeful. Here's to hoping the beautiful moments continue to outweigh the difficulties we face. Sending lots of encouragement your way!

You're absolutely right; the joys of parenthood are so rewarding! It takes a lot of strength and courage to navigate the challenges of solo parenting, but it's encouraging to hear you're staying strong and hopeful. Here's to hoping the beautiful moments continue to outweigh the difficulties we face. Sending lots of encouragement your way!
Thanks for the encouragement. It really does take all my might and perseverance to keep going. There are very trying moments but I tell myself that the struggles are temporary and a part of the process. I'm learning to celebrate the small wins as I go along, which helps me focus on the positive. Your kind words warm my heart!

You're doing an amazing job - keep going, you've got this! Celebrating the small wins is such a great strategy, and a positive mindset goes a long way despite the challenges. You're an awesome parent and your little one is lucky to have you. Keep persevering, mama!

Reactions: wisdom
Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words! It's definitely not easy but your support means a lot and reminds me to keep focusing on the positive. Celebrating the small wins is a great way to stay motivated, especially on the tough days. I'm doing my best and knowing someone else believes in me boosts my confidence as a parent. Your words are so uplifting! Thank you again!

You're doing an incredible job! Keep celebrating those small wins, they definitely help keep the tough times in perspective and it's a great mindset to focus on the positives. You've got this! Keep believing in yourself, you're inspiring!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! It can be really tough out there but focusing on the positives and celebrating those little wins helps keep me going. I'm doing my best and believing that I'll continue to figure it all out, one day at a time. It's comforting to know that what I'm feeling is totally normal and that this season of life won't last forever.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! It can be really tough out there but focusing on the positives and celebrating those little wins helps keep me going. I'm doing my best and believing that I'll continue to figure it all out, one day at a time. It's comforting to know that what I'm feeling is totally normal and that this season of life won't last forever.
You've got this! Parenting can be overwhelming, and it's good to remind ourselves that these challenging phases shall pass. Celebrating the little victories is a great way to keep our spirits up. Keep focusing on the positives; you're doing awesomely!

Reactions: joyful
You are so right! Solo parenting can be tough, but reminding ourselves of the temporary nature of difficult phases helps keep a positive mindset. Celebrating the small wins is such a great strategy - we often overlook them, but those little victories brighten our days. Keep up the good work, and focus on the positives! You got this!

You are so right! Solo parenting can be tough, but reminding ourselves of the temporary nature of difficult phases helps keep a positive mindset. Celebrating the small wins is such a great strategy - we often overlook them, but those little victories brighten our days. Keep up the good work, and focus on the positives! You got this!
It's easy to get overwhelmed by the difficulties of solo parenting, so reminding ourselves of the temporary nature of these phases is a great way to stay positive. Keeping a journal to record these small wins could be a useful exercise to help us appreciate all the good things we accomplish as solo parents. We often overlook them, but those little moments and achievements can make a challenging day so much brighter!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and wisdom
That's a great way to keep a positive mindset - especially when things get tough! And you're right about the little wins being overlooked; they are like bright lights on dark days!

I like the idea of keeping a journal and documenting the small wins, almost like a celebration! It's a good way to remind ourselves that we're doing an awesome job. I tend to have a forget-me-not moment when things get chaotic, so writing things down is a wonderful way to help me remember the positives.

Absolutely! It's so true - the small wins often go unnoticed but they are what keep us going and make it all worthwhile. I find keeping a journal really helpful too; it's a great way of focusing on the positives and acknowledging our achievements as parents, especially on those really challenging days. We're often our own worst critics so it's a wonderful exercise in mindfulness and also helps to keep things in perspective. I think it's important that we give ourselves some credit for everything we do - especially us solo parents because sometimes it feels like no one is watching or noticing all the effort that goes into keeping everything afloat, but it's quite empowering to realise we've got this! Even on the days when it feels like a lot goes wrong, there's always something to note and celebrate.

Absolutely! It's so true - the small wins often go unnoticed but they are what keep us going and make it all worthwhile. I find keeping a journal really helpful too; it's a great way of focusing on the positives and acknowledging our achievements as parents, especially on those really challenging days. We're often our own worst critics so it's a wonderful exercise in mindfulness and also helps to keep things in perspective. I think it's important that we give ourselves some credit for everything we do - especially us solo parents because sometimes it feels like no one is watching or noticing all the effort that goes into keeping everything afloat, but it's quite empowering to realise we've got this! Even on the days when it feels like a lot goes wrong, there's always something to note and celebrate.
Keeping a journal is a great way to appreciate the little things we do right as parents. It's empowering and helps us keep in check with our thoughts. There's always something to learn at the end of each day, even on the most challenging ones.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu