• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can be daunting, but also empowering. It's a unique and often challenging role with no room for error because there's often no safety net.

What are some of your experiences and insights into solo parenting? What have been some of your proudest moments? And hardest struggles? Are there any topics or tips you'd like to discuss related to this uniquely complex dynamic?

Being a solo parent can be daunting, but also empowering. It's a unique and often challenging role with no room for error because there's often no safety net.

What are some of your experiences and insights into solo parenting? What have been some of your proudest moments? And hardest struggles? Are there any topics or tips you'd like to discuss related to this uniquely complex dynamic?
As a single mom, one of the hardest struggles is managing finances and keeping up with work while taking care of my little one. It's tiring, but being able to provide for us and seeing her grow up healthy and happy is a daily pride and empowerment.

Not having family nearby means there's no instant support system, which can be challenging, but it also means I get to cherish every moment of watching her discover new things - those little milestones are precious and a reminder that the sacrifices are so worth it!

Keep the conversation going; it's nice to share experiences and learn some tips from others in the same boat!

The juggle is real, but you're killing it! It's such a pride-filled and fulfilling feeling to be that kid's whole world, exhausting as it may be.

I've had to learn so many new skills as a solo parent, and financial management has definitely been one of the harder challenges - but an extremely rewarding one when you crack it. It's amazing how resourceful we can be when we're flying solo!

It's lovely hearing about others' experiences and their little wins too - keep those moments coming! They make for great inspiration and a lovely reminder that we're not alone in this.

The juggle is real, but you're killing it! It's such a pride-filled and fulfilling feeling to be that kid's whole world, exhausting as it may be.

I've had to learn so many new skills as a solo parent, and financial management has definitely been one of the harder challenges - but an extremely rewarding one when you crack it. It's amazing how resourceful we can be when we're flying solo!

It's lovely hearing about others' experiences and their little wins too - keep those moments coming! They make for great inspiration and a lovely reminder that we're not alone in this.
Yup, all these challenges make us stronger and more adaptable. High-five to that!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
You as well! This is definitely a challenging, but rewarding situation and I think it's awesome how strong we solo parents are! It takes a village, right?! Hope you're having a great day!! 😃🙌

Reactions: musical
You as well! This is definitely a challenging, but rewarding situation and I think it's awesome how strong we solo parents are! It takes a village, right?! Hope you're having a great day!! 😃🙌
Aiyoh, you too! Yes, it takes a whole community. But us solo parents, we got this! Have a fantastic evening ahead, and here's to many more proud moments as a parent! 🥂👍

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes it can be an exhausting "village" to set up, but once everything is in place, the payoff is so rewarding. Especially knowing that you are capable of providing your child with a happy and fulfilling life, despite the challenges. Have a great evening!

Reactions: mamamia
Yes it can be an exhausting "village" to set up, but once everything is in place, the payoff is so rewarding. Especially knowing that you are capable of providing your child with a happy and fulfilling life, despite the challenges. Have a great evening!
You too! Enjoy the little moments; they grow up real fast! 😊

Reactions: sunflower
You too! Enjoy the little moments; they grow up real fast! 😊
Time sure flies, especially with kids. They seem to grow and change everyday! Enjoying these precious moments as they happen is a great way to embrace motherhood (or fatherhood). Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Time sure flies, especially with kids. They seem to grow and change everyday! Enjoying these precious moments as they happen is a great way to embrace motherhood (or fatherhood). Have a wonderful weekend ahead!
Enjoy the alone time while you can! The teenage years are a whole new ballgame - moodswings and attitude included! Buckle up, sounds like things are about to get interesting for you! 😂

The challenges of solo parenting a teenager sound daunting I'm preparing myself for the rollercoaster and stocking up on caffeine for the ride. Any tips from seasoned veterans here on how to navigate this phase with grace and sanity intact would be much appreciated!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
I'm a solo parent to three teens. It's a wild ride for sure but there are some things you can do to help navigate the next few years.

1) Carve out some 'me' time for yourself - even if it's only 20 minutes a day. Meditate, read, have a long hot bath... whatever helps you recharge. You can't pour from an empty cup so looking after yourself is priority number one!

2) Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Family, friends, counselling - there's no shame in reaching out and often just talking things through helps put challenges into perspective.

3) Keep an open dialogue with your teen, especially if they're acting out. They may be pushing boundaries but they still need guidance and that comes from a place of love - remember that! But also...

4) Pick your battles. Some issues are deal breakers - others you might let slide. Decide which hills you're willing to die on otherwise you'll be exhausted by the end of the day!

5) Show interest in their interests and try to keep some sense of humour around. Life's ups and downs seem less overwhelming when you can laugh together.

6) Be a parent first, friend second - stay firm on boundaries and expectations. But also remember...

7) They're watching your every move - leading by example is often the best way to teach them important life lessons.

Good luck! Keep your sense of humour and stay strong!

I'm a solo parent to three teens. It's a wild ride for sure but there are some things you can do to help navigate the next few years.

1) Carve out some 'me' time for yourself - even if it's only 20 minutes a day. Meditate, read, have a long hot bath... whatever helps you recharge. You can't pour from an empty cup so looking after yourself is priority number one!

2) Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Family, friends, counselling - there's no shame in reaching out and often just talking things through helps put challenges into perspective.

3) Keep an open dialogue with your teen, especially if they're acting out. They may be pushing boundaries but they still need guidance and that comes from a place of love - remember that! But also...

4) Pick your battles. Some issues are deal breakers - others you might let slide. Decide which hills you're willing to die on otherwise you'll be exhausted by the end of the day!

5) Show interest in their interests and try to keep some sense of humour around. Life's ups and downs seem less overwhelming when you can laugh together.

6) Be a parent first, friend second - stay firm on boundaries and expectations. But also remember...

7) They're watching your every move - leading by example is often the best way to teach them important life lessons.

Good luck! Keep your sense of humour and stay strong!
Those are great tips! I especially resonate with the first one about prioritizing self-care. As mamas, we sometimes get so caught up with taking care of our little ones that we forget the importance of filling our own cups first. It's a lesson I had to learn the hard way and am constantly reminding myself.

And yes, laughing through the ups and downs sounds like a perfect remedy amidst the challenges of parenting! Kids can be unexpected but in a funny way sometimes. Having a sense of humour definitely helps!

Self-care is so important, and it's a lesson many of us have to learn the hard way! It's easy to feel guilt as a parent when focusing on ourselves, but we can't pour from an empty cup - our best goes straight back into those little ones.

Laughter truly is the best medicine too; keeping a sense of humour with kids is essential because they do and say the darndest things! I find myself chuckling throughout the day with my little one, especially when she does something unexpected. It's a great reminder to not take things too seriously, even in the tough moments. Parenting solo has its challenges, but laughing through them makes it more enjoyable!

You're so right about self-care and laughter! It's like you're equipping yourself with two essential parenting tools. When we take care of ourselves, we're able to show up as the best version for our little ones and enjoy these moments, which can be tiring and tough.

And their adorable antics keep us going - laughter is fuel for the soul! Parenting solo definitely has its unique challenges, but it seems like you've got a great attitude and perspective on keeping things light-hearted :)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Thank you so much! Having fun and finding enjoyment in the little things is definitely how I survive solo parenting, it's such a great way to shift your focus and keep yourself in check when things get tough. It's so true what they say about laughing being the best medicine; it can really lighten even the hardest of situations and bring you back down to earth!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu