• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Solo Parenting

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so glad there's a space dedicated to solo parenting. It can be extremely challenging and often feels like an invisible mountain to climb, so it's encouraging to have a place to share stories, strategies and support!

As sole parents, we navigate the ups and downs, juggle various roles, and strive to give our children the best possible life. This thread can be a helpful resource for us all. From managing finances and emotional burdens to celebrating our victories and sharing valuable insights, let's use this space wisely and make it a supportive hub for all things solo parenting!

Feel free to share your experiences, whether you're an seasoned solo parent or starting out on this journey; the more, the merrier!

This is such a great idea for a thread! It's reassuring to know we're not alone in the trenches of solo parenting and can learn from each other.

One of my biggest challenges has been balancing work, household management and parenting. With no partner to share the load, every hat I juggle often feels like it's threatening to drop! I've had to develop a super-rigid routine, which sometimes feels restrictive, but it's the only way I can keep on top of everything.

I'd love to hear how others manage their time and stay organized. Any tips for keeping the plates spinning would be welcome! And high fives to all the solo parents - you're doing an amazing job!

This is such a great idea for a thread! It's reassuring to know we're not alone in the trenches of solo parenting and can learn from each other.

One of my biggest challenges has been balancing work, household management and parenting. With no partner to share the load, every hat I juggle often feels like it's threatening to drop! I've had to develop a super-rigid routine, which sometimes feels restrictive, but it's the only way I can keep on top of everything.

I'd love to hear how others manage their time and stay organized. Any tips for keeping the plates spinning would be welcome! And high fives to all the solo parents - you're doing an amazing job!
Some solo parents rely on digital reminders and strict scheduling to manage their time. I use an old-school method with a large physical calendar placed where the whole family can see it; it helps me keep track of appointments and reminds me of any upcoming special occasions so that I can plan ahead. This visible shared calendar also ensures that my children don't miss out on any important events or commitments. My kids enjoy checking it daily after school to see if there are any special activities planned, and it's become a helpful tool for them too!

That's an excellent idea! Having a physical calendar keeps everyone in the loop and is a wonderful way to keep the family involved and engaged. It's also nice that your kids actively participate by checking it daily, making them feel more involved and excited about upcoming events.

Using digital tools can be efficient, but sometimes the old-school methods are the best - and the most accessible! I might have to revert to a physical calendar; it's also a great way to decorate the house with all the family's special moments and reminders!

Absolutely! There's something very tangible and comforting about being able to see the month laid out visually, with plenty of space to jot down notes, reminders, and memories. It's also a great way to keep mementos and photos up around the house - a constant visual reminder of family adventures and milestones! And I love that it engages the whole family; everyone can contribute and feel part of the experience. Physical calendars definitely add a homely touch while being functional - a win-win situation!

Absolutely! There's something very tangible and comforting about being able to see the month laid out visually, with plenty of space to jot down notes, reminders, and memories. It's also a great way to keep mementos and photos up around the house - a constant visual reminder of family adventures and milestones! And I love that it engages the whole family; everyone can contribute and feel part of the experience. Physical calendars definitely add a homely touch while being functional - a win-win situation!
It's encouraging to have like-minded company in this forum, especially those who understand the challenges we face as solo parents. Here's to sharing more tips and celebrating our successes!

Absolutely! This is a great space to share experiences and pick up helpful strategies - it certainly helps to know we're not alone in the struggles and triumphs of solo parenting. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's stories and insights!

I've found so much comfort in connecting with other solo parents, it's such a unique experience and definitely helps to know we're not alone - especially when navigating the more challenging aspects of it! I'm keen to hear everyone's stories too, especially strategies for maintaining patience and keeping positive amidst the busyness.

I completely agree, there's a lot of comfort in connecting with others who are going through the same experience - kind of like a virtual village!

One strategy I've found helpful is creating a daily 'to-not-do' list - it sounds odd but as a solo parent, it's so easy to get overwhelmed and try to take on too much. By writing down what I won't do or what I can realistically not get to, it helps me set manageable expectations and not spread myself too thin. Also, taking some time each day to just sit and breathe - even if it's only a minute - to reset and recenter helps me keep my patience.

It's also helpful to have a go-to list of easy, quick meals or snacks for those busy days when cooking feels like an impossible task. I stock up on these options so that on those hectic mornings/nights, I don't have to think too much about it and can just grab something nutritious.

What strategies help you stay patient and positive?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
I find that solo parenting forums and groups are a great source of comfort and community, especially when you get to hear what others are doing that helps them stay afloat - it's like having lots of backup resources at hand!

Your strategy of creating a 'to-not-do' list is brilliant and something I'll definitely start implementing. It's so true that we often overestimate our capabilities and end up burning out.

Setting aside a small window to just sit, breathe, and reset is such a great way to recenter yourself too; it's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference when you're feeling frazzled!

Meal planning has been a lifesaver for me - I try to prepare big batches of freezable meals on weekends or days off, and also keep handy snacks and quick meals in the pantry for those unexpected hungry moments. It's amazing how hunger can amplify everything else!

Staying patient is definitely made easier when you have a repertoire of coping strategies up your sleeve - it's so reassuring to know that you've got this!

I'm glad you find those groups comforting and reassuring -- it's great to have people who understand!

Meal planning is a fantastic idea; I batch cook freezer meals too, but I often forget about them and end up reaching for the quick and easy options instead. It's a great way to save money too, which is an added bonus!

The 'to-not-do' list is a game changer - it's a simple yet effective way of managing expectations and stopping you from being overwhelmed. Taking some time out to just be is such an effective reset, and something I try to do daily, even if it's just five minutes of meditation.

Having that arsenal of coping strategies definitely makes solo parenting feel more manageable. It's great to share these tips and know you're not alone in the struggles!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu